07-01-2013, 12:02 AM
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/fire-arizona-prompts-evacuation-120-homes

The Bigfella
07-01-2013, 12:03 AM
Damn. That's horrific.

Best wishes to those left behind.

Chip-skiff
07-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Sorry to hear this. I used to fight wildfires and escaped some bad situations, including a couple sessions in turkey cookers (as we called fire shelters).

For so many to be lost, there must have been some bad tactical decisions or a rapid shift in conditions.

skipper68
07-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Damn. You have to question WHY.
Was their losing their lives going to change the outcome? Probably no.
Fire. It is natures way to do cleaning out there.
Damn shame.
RIP. :(

htom
07-01-2013, 01:10 AM
That is so horrible. Requiescat in pace.

O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea.

skuthorp
07-01-2013, 01:56 AM
Dreadful news, it's a long time since I fought a big fire but I can still remember. RIP

Gerarddm
07-01-2013, 02:02 AM
Awful. Brings to mind the (3?) firefighters lost in a forest fire in Eastern WA about ten years ago or so. They too had emergency radiant tents, to no avail.

Portland
07-01-2013, 03:20 AM
I'm still a member of a rural fire brigade , have been since '72 , but no longer active as a bush firefighter.
I've had a few close calls , and have known and seen people incinerated by wildfire.
I know it would have been a horrible way to die.
Very sobering , and hopefully procedures can be changed so that this occurrance is less likely to be repeated.
Houses are not worth this price.
I don't know what else to say , except I hope it was over quickly.
I'm sure their fellow firefighters and families will look after those these men left behind.
RIP.
Rob J.

John Smith
07-01-2013, 06:36 AM
A tragedy indeed. Will it make more people appreciate firefighters?

bogdog
07-01-2013, 06:54 AM
As a former resident of Prescott I don't think I can fully express my shock and pain. So many residents are involved in wildfire fighting and mountain rescue it often seems second nature to do so. My thoughts are with the families, close and extended, of all who were lost.

moTthediesel
07-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Wow, and I just read "Young Men and Fire" by Norman Maclean. Even with all our technical advances, some things never change.

PhaseLockedLoop
07-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Wow, and I just read "Young Men and Fire" by Norman Maclean.

HIs son, John wrote books about the South Canyon fire and the Thirtymile fire. Both excellent books.

Chip-skiff
07-01-2013, 11:30 AM
The individual shelters, which are made of the same reflective synthetic fabric used for firefighting suits at airports and similar spots, will reflect intense heat. But they don't hold up to direct flame exposure, and melt rather quickly. We were trained to scrape out a bare spot or light a fire to clear ground so we could deploy shelters and have a space clear of light fuels.

The report I heard blamed a severe windshift with strong gusts. In light-medium fuels, that pushes a flamefront so fast that there's no time to clear space, let alone escape. If it's hot and there are resinous fuels (juniper, pines, creosote, etc.) the outgassing can create a flashover: an open-air explosion.

Arizona Bay
07-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Gratitude... Blessings to the families.
No one is a HotShot that doesn't love what they do.

Juniper, Pine, sage and they have grass out that way. It's been in the high 90's for a few weeks and over 100 for the last 4 days. 3-10% humidity, afternoon dry t-storms and down slope gusts, no precip since early march (only 2.5in for the year).

One came over us a couple days ago, saw set off 4 fires in the valley and up on the rim. Fire year...

Come on monsoon.

AussieBarney
07-01-2013, 04:24 PM
At this time I am a volunteer firefighter with the NSW Rural Fire Service. The abiding nightmare of all active firefighters has come true. A wild fire turned and there was nowhere to go. T o these men and their families, We are on one knee, helmets in the dirt, offering our prayers and thoughts to these brave and selfless men.................

May you take your next rest break in paradise and know that firefighters from 14 thousand miles away cried when told of your sacrafice. Rest in peace.

Nanoose
07-02-2013, 01:53 AM
"Trapped by flames after winds shifted, 19 highly trained firefighters -- known as the "Hotshot" crew -- unsuccessfully deployed heat resistant tarps in last-ditch attempt to survive. Among the firefighters killed, the majority in their twenties, were a father-to-be and sons who followed their fathers into firefighting."

Such a terrible, terrible tragedy.
http://www.theloop.ca/news/ctvnews/article/-/a/2566063/Heat-resistant-tarps-failed-to-save-lives-of-19-Arizona-firefighters

The young father to be with the ultrasound of his daughter.
http://i.imgur.com/TdO5Jqg.jpg

Portland
07-02-2013, 02:25 AM
The flags at Fire Stations in at least the state of Victoria Australia have been lowered to half mast , in recognition of the ultimate sacrifice made by the Arizina Fire Fighters.
Rob J.

bamamick
07-02-2013, 11:15 AM
My prayers go out to their families and friends. This is as horrific a thing to have happen as anything I have ever heard of. I have no words to express my feelings about this incident.

Mickey Lake