PDA

View Full Version : Mass

ccmanuals
06-25-2013, 08:19 PM
AP has called Markey for MA.

elf
06-25-2013, 08:27 PM
The map's really ugly.

http://www.boston.com/news/special/politics/2013/senate/mass-us-senate-results-2013.html

It's town vs. gown and urban vs rural.

Even in Massachusetts, fearful people can be convinced to do stupid things, like vote for someone because he's a "wartime" "hero" and got rich the way Mr. Romney did.

Flying Orca
06-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Had to look him up because I had no idea what you were talking about, and it turns out his mom has the same relatively rare last name as my great-grandmother (also from Boston). I wonder whether we're related.

hanleyclifford
06-25-2013, 08:56 PM
The map's really ugly.

http://www.boston.com/news/special/politics/2013/senate/mass-us-senate-results-2013.html

Even in Massachusetts, fearful people can be convinced to do stupid things, like vote for someone because he's a "wartime" "hero" and got rich the way Mr. Romney did. Yes, but for the most part the party hacks can keep the sheep in line here in Massachusetts. They won't get caught flat footed again like they did with Brown. We pretty much got the Senator we deserve, but it is a tale of two states.

SMARTINSEN
06-25-2013, 08:56 PM
I thought that you were trolling for SamF.

Lew Barrett
06-25-2013, 09:28 PM
"In the military you learn one thing, I guess, that not every fight is a fair fight," Gomez said in his concession speech. "Sometimes you face overpowering force. We were massively overspent. We went up against literally the whole national Democratic party and its allies and the machine. But in the face of this great adversity, we could not have fought a better fight."

The divide is deep.

elf
06-25-2013, 09:28 PM
I can't imagine how being a Navy Seal and pilot could be much of an asset except to the fearful mobs, the military worshippers.

And as a businessman he did what Romney did - played the odds with insider info in the market. That's not being a businessmann. That's being a plague upon the wider society.

I wonder who will run next year on both sides.

Paul Pless
06-26-2013, 05:40 AM
I can't imagine how being a Navy Seal and pilot could be much of an asset except to the fearful mobs, the military worshippers.perhaps you lack imagination. . .

hokiefan
06-26-2013, 05:44 AM
The map's really ugly.

Even in Massachusetts, fearful people can be convinced to do stupid things, like vote for someone because he's a "wartime" "hero" and got rich the way Mr. Romney did.

That there would be difference here is a given, not a surprise.

Cheers,

Bobby

Keith Wilson
06-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Rural vs urban is a pretty good rough description of all US politics, even better than north vs south. We have blue cites surrounded by purple suburbs and red countryside.

Here's one of my favorite charts, a cartogram of the 2012 presidential election, on a graduated red-purple-blue scale according to percentage of the vote, area proportional to population. Even though it's distorted, you can identify every major city.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2012/countycart30701024.png
Here's the same map without area proportional to population:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2012/countymap30701024.png

Captain Intrepid
06-26-2013, 08:40 AM
perhaps you lack imagination. . .

Just like any job, there are certainly things learned soldiering that might help someone in politics.

However, are those skills on par with the extraordinarily huge value American politics place upon a candidate's military experience? Not even close.

Gerarddm
06-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Zero surprise in MA.

Meanwhile, Elizabeth Warren is blessedly doing exactly as advertised, hurray!

elf
06-26-2013, 10:04 AM
For those who are paying attention, Sen. Warren is making noise. But in truth, with the Congress as disabled as it's choosing to be, she's an ineffectual as every other member.

I hope to see her building alliances among her colleagues to actually bring forth bills which can pass both sides of Congress and get the President's signature, but when I look at the issues she was elected by us to tackle I do not see that she has support at the Executive level.

Until the President appoints people to head the Fed, the Dept of Commerce and other business-related sections of the Federal government, Warren will just be a voice crying out in the wilderness of American dysfunction, a voice crying out in the wilderness of stupidity in DC.

Gerarddm
06-26-2013, 10:08 AM
That may be so, elf, but she is doing what she campaigned on. Give her three terms and re-judge then.

Paul Girouard
06-26-2013, 11:58 AM
That may be so, elf, but she is doing what she campaigned on. Give her three terms and re-judge then.

Wow , it would be nice to have a job where it would take 12 to 16 years, or so , to figure out if the preson where effective!

elf
06-26-2013, 12:37 PM
It would be fun if you understood politics, Paul. The entire system is based on back scratching. One has to scratch to collect scratches. It takes a long time to collect enough scratches to be effective on a large scale.

At present I see Mrs. Warren as working to become a magnet for that portion of the Senate which agrees with her philosophically - a lodestone to unify the more cowardly of the Regressives and Democrats who wish they could be part of a crowd to actually move the Senate more to the center.

She will only fulfill her assignment if she also organizes the public to elect Senators who have the balls to join her.

Paul Girouard
06-26-2013, 12:44 PM
It would be fun if you understood politics, Paul. The entire system is based on back scratching. One has to scratch to collect scratches. It takes a long time to collect enough scratches to be effective on a large scale.

Which proves the system is broken. But it is what it is.

elf
06-26-2013, 01:18 PM
If that system is broken, in your opinion, then all human interaction is a broken system.