PDA

View Full Version : **** the police.

Tom Montgomery
06-24-2013, 10:48 PM
The thug bastards! How dare they apprehend a suspect unharmed after he killed a police dog and shot a police officer!?

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130624/NEWS02/306240054/Suspect-custody-after-officer-shot-during-standoff-Sellersburg-Ind-

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
06-24-2013, 10:55 PM
It seems there's better things to do in Louisville Tom.
How could you miss this?

http://www.courier-journal.com/videonetwork/2499246965001?odyssey=mod|tvideo2|article

Tom Montgomery
06-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Dunno. I guess I was asleep.

Paul Girouard
06-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Huh? The video won't play is there some thing in it that adds context to your thread title?

Greg Nolan
06-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Hey, the suspect was just exercising his 2d Amendment rights!

And his 1st Amendment rights too ("uttering 'anti-government words'") -- but exercising his 1st Amendment right didn't kill a dog or damage a cop's knee. First Amendment rights are not absolute (can't slander, can't falsely shout "fire" in a crowded theater) -- why do some think that 2d Amendment rights should be absolute?

I wonder how he got his gun and whether a background check was run -- his wife wanted him "to go to a hospital for treatment of 'mental health issues,'" -- did anyone else know about his mental health issues when he bought the gun?

Anyway, kudos to the cops who seem to have done a fine job handling a bad situation.

Tom Montgomery
06-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Huh? The video won't play is there some thing in it that adds context to your thread title?
Ignore the video. Read the article.

As for context... haven't I made it clear that Phillip Allen has converted me?

FIGHT THE POWER!

Paul Girouard
06-24-2013, 11:21 PM

I had read the article , it still doesn't make sense? Unless you're reading into the part where the perp say "I know what your where for" and that means they came specifically for his hand gun.

Paul Girouard
06-24-2013, 11:22 PM

As for context... haven't I made it clear that Phillip Allen has converted me?

FIGHT THE POWER!

Oh, it's "one" of those threads , see ya later.

Tom Montgomery
06-24-2013, 11:24 PM
You bet. There will be more to come.

I am now devoted to exposing the police.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
06-25-2013, 12:06 AM
It's getting bad I tell ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95qZtwJNjxk

BrianW
06-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Starting threads to harass others... nice.

In case you forgot...

BASIC FORUM ETIQUETTE: PLAY NICE
Reminder... by signing up to post on the WoodenBoat Forum, you've agreed to make nice, and to comply with pages and pages of rules the lawyers wrote. It all comes down to:
...Don't be rude.
...Don't post inappropriate pictures.
...Not sure where the "line" is for rude, inappropriate posting? Really?
...Don't sell stuff or services. Want to advertise? Click Ads (http://www.woodenboat.com/woodenboat-magazine-and-online-advertising)
...Don't feed the trolls.
...Don't whine at the Admin. He hates that.
...But officer, other cars were speeding too. How come I got a ticket?
...Don't create a new user to come back in if you were temporarily or permanently banned. It's bad Karma.
...Banning is bad for your health. Okay, smoking is worse. But, banning is like being in time-out when you were a munchkin. And, just like when you were a wee beastie, time-outs get longer the more often they happen. Much depends on the moderator's amount and type of coffee consumed at that particular moment.
...Need to report an inappropriate posting/thread? Be sure to include a direct link, and why the posting is inappropriate.

Tom Montgomery
06-25-2013, 09:17 AM
This is not a gun thread. This is a police thread. This is about their behavior in this incident.

Bob Adams
06-25-2013, 09:24 AM
This is not a gun thread. This is a police thread. This is about their behavior in this incident.

Then you title should have been something along the lines of:

"Police show incredible restraint"

The title was a rock thrown at Phillip, plain and simple.

Gerarddm
06-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Magnets should expect steel to smack into them.

TomF
06-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Sure it was a rock thrown at Phillip.

Of course, Phillip's not a bad rock thrower himself on the issue. Think, for instance, of his comment on the FBI shootings thread about the likelihood that any honest investigation can ever occur, including that force.

I'm not wild about rock throwing, but actions do have consequences.

John of Phoenix
06-25-2013, 10:01 AM
No one ever denied it exists but what are you actually DOING to fix the bad cop problem? You're damn sure not doing anything about it here.

John of Phoenix
06-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Everyone knows about it and has for 40,000 of your posts. What are you actually DOING to fix it? Nothing you do here has any effect other than to draw ridicule on yourself (in case you haven't noticed).

BrianW
06-25-2013, 10:20 AM
No one ever denied it exists but what are you actually DOING to fix the bad cop problem? You're damn sure not doing anything about it here.

The same could be said for many of the popular topics we discuss here.

Ian McColgin
06-25-2013, 10:21 AM
And it's good to bring things to attention, just as Tom brought to our attention, albeit with a nudge of sarcasm, an instance of the police managing a dangerous capture without killing the guy. If we are to take our citizen responsibilities regarding law enforcement seriously, if we understand that police are part of and reflect the community, then we recognize the good and the evil.

Folk who knee-jerk that cops are fascistracistpigkillers or who knee-jerk that officers of the law are upstanding and anyone who gets hurt caused their own problem are both actually contributing to the problem both by words here and by deeds or indifference in their communities.

I don't see any reason why those people would know or admit who they are.

Old Dryfoot
06-25-2013, 10:56 AM
It's getting bad I tell ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95qZtwJNjxk

Don't care much for the rest of the thread... but this was some funny ****!

PhaseLockedLoop
06-25-2013, 12:19 PM
I don't see any reason why those people would know or admit who they are.

The crux of the issue. Something to guard against in others, and in ourselves, to the extent possible.

zertgold
06-25-2013, 03:15 PM
There are bad cops, there are dirty rotten stinking cops which do terrible things. I am glad there are good cops too, but too often cops are seen like school teachers, they can do no wrong. I think it is an important issue to be discussed here or anywhere.

The police need stricter psychological testing to weed out those who escalate situations instead of protecting the public, and their needs to be an independent public advocacy group which inspires a fear of the law in bad cops.

Waddie
06-25-2013, 03:35 PM
If wading past a thread title that irritates you is the worst thing you have to do today then you have an easy life indeed. And yes, Phillip goes a little over the top sometimes, but he has plenty of company here in the Bilge. In fact, it's SOP here to go way past moderate. But you open his threads because you can't help yourselves - it's like you're mesmerized; ... and then you just have to take the shot........ even though we've been through it all before, usually quite recently, and quite often. You already know what Phillips going to say and how he will respond, but there must be some sort of perverse pleasure in going through the verbal dance yet again... Some sort of deep, primal human desire for the illusion of superiority. You never tire of it.........

regards,
Waddie

Glen Longino
06-25-2013, 04:20 PM
...."Some sort of deep, primal human desire for the illusion of superiority."...

Yep, that's our Phi... er, I mean, somebody!

Waddie
06-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Sounds like an action plan for training a monkey:rolleyes:

I don't think Phillips the trained monkey........ or the one suffering any illusion of superiority.... and you would miss him were he gone. The protagonist always needs a willing antagonist.

regards,
Waddie

Glen Longino
06-25-2013, 04:39 PM
:-) ^

:)Don't mention any names or you could be banned for "personal attack"!
Don't ask me how I know this!:)

Glen Longino
06-25-2013, 04:47 PM
I don't think Phillips the trained monkey........ or the one suffering any illusion of superiority.... and you would miss him were he gone. The protagonist always needs a willing antagonist.

regards,
Waddie

I agree 100% that most of us would miss Phillip if he disappeard!
But, while he's here, he is not immune to differences of opinions, questions, rebuttal, humor, sneers, angst, or controversy...especially when he comes begging for it.

Curtism
06-25-2013, 04:59 PM
I agree 100% that most of us would miss Phillip if he disappeard!
But, while he's here, he is not immune to differences of opinions, questions, rebuttal, humor, sneers, angst, or controversy...especially when he comes begging for it.

Exactly . . . and lets not forget to mention frequent angler management sessions.

Waddie
06-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Unfortunately Waddie, you appear wrong on every conclusion you seem to have reached. :-)

Good thing for me that your opinion doesn't count.... :)

regards,
Waddie

John of Phoenix
06-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Everyone knows about it and has for 40,000 of your posts. What are you actually DOING to fix it? Nothing you do here has any effect other than to draw ridicule on yourself (in case you haven't noticed).
So are you actually doing anything? Voicing your concerns at city council meetings perhaps? Been in contact with any organization that wants to hold cops responsible for their actions? Written letters to the local paper? Sent a letter to the police chief?

ANYTHING beside this endless whining?

Tom Montgomery
06-25-2013, 05:10 PM
The loss of K-9 officer Kilo is being mourned by the Sellersburg police, the Sheriff's department, and the Indiana State police. A German Shepard, he was an effective drug dog and tracker.

Clark County Sheriff Danny Rodden said Detective Chris Proctor will have surgery Tuesday for a gunshot wound to the knee. Proctor was taken to University of Louisville Hospital after being shot.

The gunman shot Proctor and the dog about 3 p.m. Authorities said the dog, named Kilo, died at the scene.

Sgt. Noel Houze, a state police spokesman, said the gunman, earlier shot a SWAT robot, disabling its video camera.

The gunman’s wife had called police about 11:45 a.m., seeking help in persuading him to go to a hospital for treatment of “mental health issues,” Whelan said.

When police arrived, the man was in a neighbor’s yard with his two children, ages 4 and 14, said Whelan, who was one of the officers who answered the call. He said the man pointed a handgun at him, then let his children go and ran to the house about a block away.

Whelan said the man was uttering “anti-government” words when he encountered him in yard, saying “he knew what we wanted from him.”

When Kilo and SWAT officers went into that house, the gunman fired about eight shots, Whelan said. The officers left the house, but the dog did not come out, he said.

Police tried to negotiate with the gunman, using the robot, a public-address system and the home’s phone, but he did not respond to them, Whelan said.

When police lobbed tear-gas canisters into the house, the gunman fired several shots, striking Proctor in the lower leg, Whelan said.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130624/NEWS02/306240054/Suspect-in-custody-after-officer-shot-during-standoff-in-Sellersburg-Ind-?odyssey=underbox|text|Home

Memorial Fund Honors Fallen Indiana State Police K-9 Kilo (http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/memorial-fund-honors-fallen-indiana-state-police-k-9-kilo)

And the police apprehended the shooter unharmed.

Tom Montgomery
06-25-2013, 06:07 PM
K-9 Officer Made Impact Before Being Killed In The Line Of Duty (http://www.wave3.com/story/22683787/k9-officer-made-impact-before-shot-in-line-of-duty)

Tom Montgomery
06-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Meanwhile, the ambush murder of Bardstown, Kentucky police officer Jason Ellis remains unsolved (http://www.wave3.com/story/22618527/ksp-sets-up-special-email-account-for-tips)

Glen Longino
06-25-2013, 06:57 PM
What a life this fool has!

Then do your best to quit being foolish!
We're all pulling for you!

Tom Montgomery
06-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Who are you calling a fool, Donn?

If you feel like being confrontational then be specific.

In the meantime, drink another Chablis.

Glen Longino
06-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Who are you calling a fool, Donn?

If you feel like being confrontational then be specific.

In the meantime, drink another Chablis.

Ain't Donn a hoot?
He's got his, and to hell with everybody else!

Tom Montgomery
06-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Donn specializes in hit-and-run snarky comments. Generally after the cocktail hour.

Waddie
06-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Well that makes me sad Waddie, as I have always valued your opinion. I may not always agree with it, but at least I'm willing to give it a fair hearing. :-) oh well.

Why in the world would you value my opinion - you don't even know me from Adam. Give it a fair hearing? This is the Bilge, for God's sake. No need for a fair hearing here. This is the place frustrated old farts go to vent and let off steam. After all, you can't beat the wife anymore, and the ASPCA will get you if you kick the dog, so the internet is the only place left to let off steam. And I include myself in that appraisal. But mostly I'm just here to irritate liberals, which I'm pretty good at.

When I was a kid I never bullied anybody, nor was I bullied. But unfortunately, when I saw someone else getting bullied I never stepped in to stop it either. That's one of the only regrets I have.... I should have stepped in, even if it meant getting my own butt whipped. Nowadays I do step in, and at least I feel better for having tried. It doesn't even matter if the victim of the bullying was asking for it, I still step in. If the attacks on Phillip were simply good natured fun, well, I'd stay out of that. Or on Jamie, for that matter -(one of the other Bilge targets). But often the attacks are very personal, and even vicious. That's my kind of pissing contest !!! Let the games begin !!!!

regards,
Waddie

Waddie
06-25-2013, 09:30 PM
A man is known by the words he writes, the opinions he expresses, but okay, no problem.

I prefer to think a man is known by his actions. Talk has always been cheap. And opinions are like a-holes - everybody has 'em... :)

regards,
Waddie

Tom Montgomery
06-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Is that right?

I think a man's character is revealed by BOTH his words and behavior.

No doubt all Internet trolls would disagree.

Waddie
06-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Is that right?

I think a man's character is revealed by BOTH his words and behavior.

No doubt all Internet trolls would disagree.

That sounds like an opinion, and all of us have one.... sometimes a painful one.... :)

regards,
Waddie

Tom Montgomery
06-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Of course it is an opinion. :rolleyes:

Do you have any commentary on topic?

Waddie
06-26-2013, 01:25 AM
Of course it is an opinion. :rolleyes:

Do you have any commentary on topic?

What is the topic, exactly? It appears to me that the topic, the real topic, is a backhanded slap at Phillip. An entire thread aimed at denigrating one Bilge member.... How did that go, anyways? Does it make you feel more like a man? Superior, in some existential way? Or maybe you just feel better now that you've vented.........

regards,
Waddie

Ian McColgin
06-26-2013, 05:38 AM
Perhaps Waddie would like to express disagreement with the proposition that character is displayed in both action and speach (written and oral). Perhaps there is some extradimensional place in the universe where character appears and, unlike our blessed savior, need not be incarnate in the actual world.

The topic was introduced with no more and no less off-topic snark than the self-identified "target" of the thread indroduces his. And as with those threads, one can choose whether to address the overt topic - police making a dangerous capture without killing anyone - or one can leap to the lingering personality disputes. Whichever one finds fun is each Forum member's choice.

Ian McColgin
06-26-2013, 06:03 AM
Kevin T is exactly right that here our experiences of each other is mostly words - with some very happy exceptions such as will happen this weekend for those who can make it. And unfortunatly, Internet Tourettes causes disruptive verbal behaviors that would for the most part not happen were people interacting in a place where personal responsibility and interpersonal reality are factors. I know that some of the more exasperatingly dogmatic personae here are in person reasonable and open-minded.

shamus
06-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Watched the video, Tom, so I've seen one side of the evidence.
You used to post intelligently, these days you're kind of LCD in my book.

Tom Montgomery
06-26-2013, 10:21 AM
I'm a liquid crystal display?

Waddie
06-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Kevin T is exactly right that here our experiences of each other is mostly words - with some very happy exceptions such as will happen this weekend for those who can make it. And unfortunatly, Internet Tourettes causes disruptive verbal behaviors that would for the most part not happen were people interacting in a place where personal responsibility and interpersonal reality are factors. I know that some of the more exasperatingly dogmatic personae here are in person reasonable and open-minded.

I think Tom , Glen, and Phillip as well, are probably good and generous people in person. I doubt they would ever attack each other in person like they do in this virtual reality, which seems almost designed to loose the hounds of hate and rudeness. And that's why judging people by what they write, especially on internet forums, is so undependable and unreliable. To rely on such a judgement is to only have the illusion of truth. Mostly what you get is a virtual personality in a virtual reality, and often those persona's aren't so "good and generous". I can believe I know Ian McColgin pretty well, but what do I really know for sure? I only know him by what he writes on an obscure fairly dysfunctional internet forum.... and that's the only way he knows me. Would you let someone you only know on an internet forum babysit your grand daughter? I think not, you would want to know that person by their actions in real life. So I have no illusion that I can accurately "know" a person by what they write here in the Bilge.

regards,
Waddie

Waddie
06-26-2013, 03:46 PM
So I'm confused, should I assume or know by what you write that you wouldn't let anyone here babysit your granddaughter or do you mean something else?:rolleyes:;)

Cause I think you just said that you wouldn't allow it, but I shouldn't take your word for it?:confused:|:)

Would you let someone you only know by way of an internet forum babysit your grand daughter? Haven't we been warned repeatedly about how dangerous that can be? Haven't there been abundant examples of how dangerous that can be? On the other hand, if I knew the Bilge member in person, for a number of years, had seen how they behave in person, and had a means to vet them, then, yes, by all means they can watch the little brat. Then I'd warn them about how mean the kid is first; you know; give them a chance to reconsider....

regards,
Waddie

Waddie
06-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Of course Waddie, it was a joke. You stated that you couldn't know someone by their words and then went on to say (with your words) that you wouldn't let a forum member babysit.. . . oh never mind:rolleyes:

This virtual world we've created can be confusing..... quite the conundrum...... :)

regards,
Waddie

Glen Longino
06-26-2013, 05:20 PM
This virtual world we've created can be confusing..... quite the conundrum...... :)

regards,
Waddie

Ha! See this, Donn?
Waddie can't spell condom! Ha!(apologies to all...I had to do it)

Glen Longino
06-26-2013, 06:21 PM
What?

Tom Montgomery
06-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Need a decoder ring, Glen?

Glen Longino
06-26-2013, 06:55 PM
:):):)

Waddie
06-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Ha! See this, Donn?
Waddie can't spell condom! Ha!(apologies to all...I had to do it)

Very funny, Glen..... and in the words of an infamous Bilge rat - "you're no damn good" !!!!!! :)

You're like a little kid or something... an ornery little kid... are you enjoying your second childhood ??? :)

regards,
Waddie

Glen Longino
06-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Very funny, Glen..... and in the words of an infamous Bilge rat - "you're no damn good" !!!!!! :)

You're like a little kid or something... an ornery little kid... are you enjoying your second childhood ??? :)

regards,
Waddie

Ah, here it is!
Thanks,Waddie, for directing me here!:)
Too funny!
Hey, you ain't so damn good yourself!
But, being the Humanitarian I am, I can enjoy your input around here, and hope you last long after I'm gone!"!
Best wishes always to you and yours!