PDA

View Full Version : How will the world end? Answers here

MiddleAgesMan
06-24-2013, 10:30 AM
The Atlantic has an interesting last page this month, interesting and somewhat scary.

Especially the second answer suggesting it might be the over-due blow-up of Yellowstone.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/07/how-and-when-will-the-world-end/309400/

John Bell
06-24-2013, 10:44 AM
The world will end when I shuffle off this mortal coil, hopefully not before about 2060.

wardd
06-24-2013, 10:46 AM
an intergalactic off ramp

elf
06-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Gotta define world first.

bogdog
06-24-2013, 11:17 AM
A trojan 'll get us fur shure, there's one up there right now with our name on it. When it hits Yellowstone and Lake Toba will both likely blow, I'll give it another ten years at the outside.

Keith Wilson
06-24-2013, 11:28 AM
They're not talking about the world ending, they're talking about unpleasant events that could seriously damage our current human civilization, or even wipe out our species. That's not the end of the world. Lots of species have gone extinct before, and lots will in the future. We can't end the world. Even if we do our worst, have a nuclear war, poison the place completely, in another ten million years or 100 million years, something else will evolve. We'll be gone, of course.

This is the one that makes sense.

The world will be here, with or without us, until the sun dies, 5 billion years hence

bogdog
06-24-2013, 11:50 AM
They're not talking about the world ending, they're talking about unpleasant events that could seriously damage our current human civilization, or even wipe out our species. That's not the end of the world. Lots of species have gone extinct before, and lots will in the future. We can't end the world. Even if we do our worst, have a nuclear war, poison the place completely, in another ten million years or 100 million years, something else will evolve. We'll be gone, of course.

This is the one that makes sense.

Ya do know that "5 billion years" is just a joke, if people really knew the actual date the ensuing panic would collapse the market.

Keith Wilson
06-24-2013, 12:06 PM
. . . if people really knew the actual date the ensuing panic would collapse the market.It was Dec 21st, 2012. This is actually the afterlife, but nobody bothered to tell us. Heaven or hell, your choice.

Gerarddm
06-24-2013, 12:46 PM
This:

Natalie Angier, science writer, The New York Times
Life has persisted on Earth for nearly 4 billion years. The average mammalian species, on the other hand, lasts just 1 million. So for you, me, and our 7 billion compatriots, it will all be over by the year 2120.

Keith Wilson
06-24-2013, 01:05 PM
For better or worse, humans are not the average mammalian species.

skuthorp
06-24-2013, 04:53 PM
This might be accurate: The world will be here, with or without us, until the sun dies, 5 billion years hence.
But the one that concerns us is I think: The end of the world will come about as a result of the misunderstanding that we and the world are separate. From Deepak Chopra, that state is well developed already, we actually think that we are in charge.