PDA

View Full Version : WB 233, Great article on PILAR

woodpile
06-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Great article, to have authors, Hilary Hemingway and Wes Wheeler really makes it something special. Would love to see a follow up on building a new Wheeler Pilar.

Rich Jones
06-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Just came in the mail today. Looks like another great issue! Some somber reading in the Bounty article.

k4lmy
06-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Yes, a GREAT article. The silhouette is easily recognized. I believe a very close match to that of Tom Lathrop 's Bluejacket series. That is what drew me to want to construct a Bluejacket 28. What do you think "landlocked sailor"?

Henry

Bob Cleek
06-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Very interesting article. The one thing they did omit, perhaps understandably, since the article was something of a plug for the new movie, was the fact that this was the third Pilar. Last year, May 2012, there was an HBO movie called "Hemingway and Gellhorn," about Hemingway and his wife, the journalist, Martha Gellhorn. It has some brief scenes involving his boat, Pilar. These were filmed at China Camp State Park on SF Bay (San Pablo Bay, to be exact) in Marin County. (An historic Chinese shrimp fishing village, now a state part, it was also the location for the steamboat evacuation and escape scenes in John Wayne's classic "Blood Alley.")

The Pilar used in that movie was a similar 1930's power cruiser that had reportedly been hauled up out of the mud on the Petaluma River, right nearby. It was brought to the San Rafael Yacht Harbor yard and hauled out. The movie set artists converted it to a reasonable facsimile of the original and did a very quick and dirty patch job on the bottom to keep her floating. I don't think she had any engine in her... or at least one that ran. To this old movie "boat wrangler's" experienced eye, I could see it was a prop boat. As usual, they don't like to advertise what they are doing. (Mainly to keep the rubberneckers away from the shooting locations.) The brightwork and wood decks were all faux painted over plywood. In the movie, she looked good from a distance. Certainly nothing like the restoration written up in the latest WB. (Andy Garcia does things right. Unfortunately, he isn't recognized enough for his talents.)

switters
06-27-2013, 10:17 AM
1st article I read when I pulled it out of the mail at lunch yesterday. Pretty cool.

woodpile
06-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Just came in the mail today. Looks like another great issue! Some somber reading in the Bounty article.

Very somber indeed, had a conversation with a gentleman working the Charles W. Morgan at the Mystic show today and the Bounty story came up, seems initially there was a Coast Guard inspection issue about taking passengers on the Morgan due to the lack of any water tight compartments. Sounds like everyone involved with the Morgan sailing are quite aware us the Bounty story and the lessons learned. Guess the issue was resolved after hearing the gentleman say some people we're paying five figures for a ride.

Bert Langley
07-12-2013, 08:10 AM
I enjoyed the article on Pilar, but I did feel like it was a little too promoting of the movie. The one thing I was disappointed in was the commens regarding the stepped sheer of the original Pilar and how since the transom of the 34' boat could not be lowered the builder shaped the coamings to suggest a break in the sheer. ""It produces PILAR's silhouette, but without lowering the transom." Garcia said". Sorry , it may have been all that could be done but it definitely does not produce PILAR's silhouette. The stepped sheer of PILAR is highly distinctive and the replica just does not do it for me.

Mike Vogdes
07-14-2013, 06:17 AM
I wonder what shape the real Pilar is in nowadays? Would be an interesting restoration.

Dannybb55
12-24-2013, 06:00 AM
The next time that we do another Wheeler restoration, we should bring you in for expert carpentry work. There were no other Wheelers available, and Hemingway changed her all of the time. Worse than that he was always standing in the way of the needed details and hogging the shot.
Danny Nye MMYC Beaufort NC