PDA

View Full Version : Sixty - 24/7

Paul Pless
06-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Sixty. That's the average number of 'armed' predator drones that are aloft globally at any moment in time.

Phillip Allen
06-20-2013, 08:46 PM
it MUST be okay... ?

(Phillip just hates authority... )

The Bigfella
06-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Doesn't sound like anywhere near enough to me.

How many B52's (or predecessors) used to be in the air at any one time?

Seriously... you'd want quite a few in the ME, probably only need one over T'urden's place... and I imagine these things fill in the gaps in satellite coverage in some areas too.

Paul Pless
06-20-2013, 09:02 PM
How many B52's (or predecessors) used to be in the air at any one time?

Three were always in the air with live nuclear weapons. They were backed up logistically by in flight refueling tankers and AWACS aircraft. There were several on the ground in the queue to 'spell' each aloft BUFF.

and I imagine these things fill in the gaps in satellite coverage in some areas too.The sixty number is for armed drones. I've looked but can't find a number of surveillance drones aloft at any one time. . .

Steve McMahon
06-20-2013, 09:33 PM
It's a start. Hopefully as the economy improves it can be ramped up. Peace comes at a price.

The Bigfella
06-20-2013, 09:33 PM
I don't see any unwarranted connotation. Its a good move... until the technology leaks down to the baddies.

Paul Pless
06-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Does it make a difference if they are drones, or piloted aircraft?I don't know, good question. How many piloted aircraft do you think we have over Pakistan right now? over Iran? (you might recall Iran brought one of our recon drones down in 2011, imagine if they had captured an American pilot. )

I mainly just thought it an interesting bit of trivia. . .

LeeG
06-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Paul, here's a book for you. All war all the time!
Because we can.

http://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Wars-The-World-Battlefield/dp/156858671X

Paul Pless
06-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Paul, here's a book for you. All war all the time!
Because we can.

http://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Wars-The-World-Battlefield/dp/156858671XThat ain't gonna happen, i'd rather read about boats. . .

LeeG
06-20-2013, 09:55 PM
That ain't gonna happen, i'd rather read about boats. . .

You started the thread. This book chronicles the tactic of assasination through special forces and UAVs since 9/11.

"Dirty Wars follows the consequences of the declaration that “the world is a battlefield,” as Scahill uncovers the most important foreign policy story of our time. From Afghanistan to Yemen, Somalia and beyond, Scahill reports from the frontlines in this high-stakes investigation and explores the depths of America’s global killing machine. He goes beneath the surface of these covert wars, conducted in the shadows, outside the range of the press, without effective congressional oversight or public debate. And, based on unprecedented access, Scahill tells the chilling story of an American citizen marked for assassination by his own government."

Gerarddm
06-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Sixty?

OK...