PDA

View Full Version : Bruins V Blackhawks

Paul Girouard
06-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Headed to period 5 , 3-3 .

What you Nob's watchin, Dancing with the Stars?

S/V Laura Ellen
06-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Been a really great game so far.
Chicago has been playing very strong the last few periods.

Paul Girouard
06-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Boys gotta be tired!

Figment
06-13-2013, 06:54 AM
That must've been a good game to watch.... on west coast time!

It's been a long week, and I started head-bobbing in the first OT, so I let the DVR take it from there.
Thankfully, babygirl wanted to get up around 04:30 so I had a chance to catch up on the game. :rolleyes:

Flying Orca
06-13-2013, 07:04 AM
Yeah, I only made it to the end of the first OT, but what a great game it was up to that point! Looked to me like it was Chicago's game to lose, and they came close... but I'm glad they won.

Nicholas Scheuer
06-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Don't usually watch hockey. I was surprised to see SKATING instead of just "ramming into the boards" followed by time in the penalty box.

Paul Girouard
06-13-2013, 02:29 PM
There was plenty of hitting and to much stick work especially by the benches as players changed on the fly! I agree w/ Don Cherry, the benches should be on opposite sides of the ice , center of bench / centered on the red line.

The penalty boxes should be directly across the rink from each other at the end of the teams respective bench.

Figment
06-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Most new rinks around here keep it ALL to one side, and spectators on the other.

Timekeeper centered on redline, with penalty boxes astride, then team benches.
Of course the team benches are so far from center that 3/4 of the players are offside when they jump :rolleyes: and a 2nd period defensive change on the fly is a friggin miracle.

Paul Girouard
06-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Most new rinks around here keep it ALL to one side, and spectators on the other.

Timekeeper centered on redline, with penalty boxes astride, then team benches.
Of course the team benches are so far from center that 3/4 of the players are offside when they jump :rolleyes: and a 2nd period defensive change on the fly is a friggin miracle.

Ya, I know the new rinks that's what they do , but it caused more bad than good. I know it's about how many fans they can cram in , but there is a point , IMO , of demissing returns of this.

Last night late in the game , if you've had time to watch it, you'll see a few spearings , and lots of stick work , Marshant (sp) was involved with some of it , and the line changes in periods 4 and 5 where messy. 10 guys going off at once criss crossing , your bound to get some stick work happening.

Flying Orca
06-13-2013, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't shed a tear if Marchand was taken out back and soundly cudgeled. The guy's a bully, pure and simple.

JimD
06-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Dancing with the Stars ended weeks ago and I'm so glad Kellie Pickler won. She was awesome! And that was some game last night, too. For some reason I found myself rooting for Chicago. I think Boston will take game two on Saturday.

Tom Montgomery
06-13-2013, 08:12 PM
I've enjoyed the NHL playoffs.

This is the Stanley Cup finals I was hoping for.

I like both teams but, since I was a Buckeye now living in Kentucky, I am rooting for the Blackhawks due to a mid-west bias. ;)

JBreeze
06-13-2013, 08:20 PM
That was brutal, since the Bruins had a 3-1 lead in the third period.

What scares me the most is the hockey columnists @ Yahoo sports all picked the Penguins over the Bruins. Now, ALL have the Bruins over the Black Hawks....Kiss of Death?

Glad the NHL still uses overtime vs the ridiculous "shoot-outs" that are used in soccer and college football.

Tom Montgomery
06-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Glad the NHL still uses overtime vs the ridiculous "shoot-outs" that are used in soccer and college football.
Amen.

Paul Girouard
06-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Dancing with the Stars ended weeks ago and I'm so glad Kellie Pickler won. She was awesome! And that was some game last night, too. For some reason I found myself rooting for Chicago. I think Boston will take game two on Saturday.

Ah HA, you outed your self JimD!!!

@ F/O , Marchand sure isn't no Jean Beliveau :D! Maybe more a Bobby Clarke ,/ Johonny "Pie" McKenzine type player, but he puts a charge in his teammates about ever shift. I'm sure he's a great teammate , and a guy you hate to play against when you or he get traded! :d

Flying Orca
06-13-2013, 09:04 PM
@ F/O , Marchand sure isn't no Jean Beliveau :D! Maybe more a Bobby Clarke ,/ Johonny "Pie" McKenzine type player, but he puts a charge in his teammates about ever shift. I'm sure he's a great teammate , and a guy you hate to play against when you or he get traded! :d

As far as I'm concerned he represents all I detest in what is otherwise a great game. Last night in the first or second period (second I think), completely unprovoked, he shoved a nearby Chicago player to the ice well after the whistle had blown, and we're not talking a cluster around the net - they were by the Boston blue line. Sh1te like that should be met with a major penalty and a game misconduct, and would be if the rules were enforced properly.

He's a bully and bullies should have no place in sport.

Paul Girouard
06-13-2013, 09:19 PM
As far as I'm concerned he represents all I detest in what is otherwise a great game. Last night in the first or second period (second I think), completely unprovoked, he shoved a nearby Chicago player to the ice well after the whistle had blown, and we're not talking a cluster around the net - they were by the Boston blue line. Sh1te like that should be met with a major penalty and a game misconduct, and would be if the rules were enforced properly.

He's a bully and bullies should have no place in sport.

You'd rather see whiners like Crosby talking to the ref's?

I saw him knock that guy down , he should have gotten 2 minutes for un sportsmen like conduct or roughing. The Hawks need to respond to that sort of stuff, playoff hockey you need to hold your ground.

You must not have liked the Bobby Orr / Big bad bruins era very much.

Have they done away with two line off sides , I've been out of the loop the past few years , seems to be a lot of long passes thru the natural zone these days?

Flying Orca
06-13-2013, 09:32 PM
You'd rather see whiners like Crosby talking to the ref's?

You can spin it any way you like. In my own words, I'll say I'd prefer to see the bullies and poor sports out of the game and the skilled players in - and that includes the skill of legitimate hits. R-soles like Marchand give the game a bad image and teach kids the wrong values.

I saw him knock that guy down , he should have gotten 2 minutes for un sportsmen like conduct or roughing.

I think it should have been five and a game. That's the difference between deterrence and a nod and a wink; the nod and wink have prevailed in the NHL for far too long.

The Hawks need to respond to that sort of stuff, playoff hockey you need to hold your ground.

Whatever. Teams that have to break the rules to win don't belong in organized sport as far as I'm concerned. As I said, I think they give the game a bad name and they teach kids poor values.

You must not have liked the Bobby Orr / Big bad bruins era very much.

To the extend that I remember it, I was a Habs fan, but I was just a young kid. I spent a bunch of years without TV and then saw NHL hockey again after I got married. I was put off by the cheating then and I'm put off by it now.

Have they done away with two line off sides , I've been out of the loop the past few years , seems to be a lot of long passes thru the natural zone these days?

Yeah, they eliminated the centre line, essentially. It kind of opens things up a bit more; I think it was one of the changes they made to reduce the use of the neutral-zone trap, which was effective but boring as hell.

Tom Montgomery
06-13-2013, 10:40 PM
You can spin it any way you like. In my own words, I'll say I'd prefer to see the bullies and poor sports out of the game and the skilled players in - and that includes the skill of legitimate hits.
+1 Y>

And that is why I so enjoy Olympic hockey. The larger rink rewards skating and passing while the officials countenance less rough stuff.

chas
06-14-2013, 12:06 AM
"He's a bully and bullies should have no place in sport."

You've got to be big to be a bully. He's just a pest. Everybody needs one to win the Cup; big part of the mental effort required to win this trophy. / Jim

Figment
06-14-2013, 06:19 AM
"He's a bully and bullies should have no place in sport."

You've got to be big to be a bully. He's just a pest. Everybody needs one to win the Cup; big part of the mental effort required to win this trophy. / Jim

Disagree. Bulk or strength are not a prerequisite. Especially when you have Thornton and Lucic and McQuaid and Boychuck and Chara on your side.
He is absolutely a bully.

The thing is, he's a bully who puts the puck in the net.

Flying Orca
06-14-2013, 07:11 AM
+1 Y>

And that is why I so enjoy Olympic hockey. The larger rink rewards skating and passing while the officials countenance less rough stuff.

Yep. I'd love to see the NHL go to the larger rink and stricter enforcement, but there are too many dinosaurs around to see it happen any time soon.

Flying Orca
06-14-2013, 07:14 AM

I disagree - bullying is a mentality, not a size. Tripping the other team's goaltender or shoving another player to the ice, unprovoked and well after the whistle in both cases is straight-up bullying, and he should have been ejected. I believe that kind of crap has no place in sport and teaches kids poor values. Maybe you're OK with that - I'm not.

chas
06-14-2013, 11:27 AM
"I wouldn't shed a tear if Marchand was taken out back and soundly cudgeled."

Yeah, that would be a good lesson for the kids, eh? Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth this would be taken care of immediately, on the ice, and was understood by all who played the game at this level. I understand the rule changes and adjustments required to make the game more palatable to a wider audience, but in the end this was primarily a business decision.

First game of a Stanley Cup final featuring original six teams goes to triple overtime and we are debating Marchand's prowess as a bully? No thanks, I'll pass. / Jim

Flying Orca
06-14-2013, 12:13 PM
To each their own, I guess. I really like the game of hockey, but I think poor sportsmanship and violence are a terrible blot on an otherwise good game. Some people don't think so, and that's OK.

Paul Girouard
06-14-2013, 02:41 PM
"I wouldn't shed a tear if Marchand was taken out back and soundly cudgeled."

Yeah, that would be a good lesson for the kids, eh? Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth this would be taken care of immediately, on the ice, and was understood by all who played the game at this level. I understand the rule changes and adjustments required to make the game more palatable to a wider audience, but in the end this was primarily a business decision.

First game of a Stanley Cup final featuring original six teams goes to triple overtime and we are debating Marchand's prowess as a bully? No thanks, I'll pass. / Jim

Ya kind a silly, it was a great game, I'd like to see less cheap stick work , which IMO is what helmets and the European players ( International hockey) brought to the pro game. The players policed the game back in the old days , sure Teddy Green did get his head split open by Wayne Mackie (sp) , but Mackie was "ushered" out of the game shortly there after.

JBreeze
06-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Hey Paul,

Remember Gordie Howe? He was the worst...but the difference was he didn't immediately retaliate. Play would be in one of the offensive zones later in the game, yet there would be Gordie crossing the red line with an opposition player crumpled on the ice next to him...refs never saw what happened.

chas
06-14-2013, 03:03 PM
"To each their own, I guess. I really like the game of hockey, but I think poor sportsmanship and violence are a terrible blot on an otherwise good game. Some people don't think so, and that's OK."

Poor sportsmanship or gamesmanship, violence or physicality; where's the line? I prefer to let the players decide, within reason. Marchand's teammates will reign him in, when they feel it is time or his actions are hurting the team. For now, it's his job to disrupt focus, and that has always been a big part of the game at this time of the year.

The first line matchups will make a great series; near the end of periods, when it's three lines, four defence, that's the best. If you pray, pray for a game 7. / Jim

Flying Orca
06-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Poor sportsmanship or gamesmanship, violence or physicality; where's the line?

Well, how about the whistles, which are intended to determine when players should be interacting with each other? Those are lines; Marchand crosses them routinely. How about the rules of the game? He breaks those and its encouraged by people who like to see that kind of thing. I don't, but I'm talking about enforcing the rules, not eliminating body-checking. :rolleyes:

JimD
06-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Ah HA, you outed your self JimD!!!

Bu bu but...my wife makes me watch it! So I'm not really a fan of the show, I'm just whipped ;) (OK, I lied. I really am a fan of DWTS)

Beliveau? Those were my days as a kid watching hockey and I was a Montreal fan all the way.

chas
06-14-2013, 03:19 PM
The play stops when the whistle blows; the game doesn't. / Jim

Flying Orca
06-14-2013, 03:48 PM
I guess some people just don't mind seeing bad behaviour rewarded.

JimD
06-14-2013, 04:10 PM
I guess some people just don't mind seeing bad behaviour rewarded.
Not just some, a lot. And the NHL knows it. More of this sort of crapp goes on in the NHL than in all other pro sport combined. Its why I don't watch much hockey anymore.

Flying Orca
06-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Glad to hear someone believes in good sportsmanship and fair play.

Paul Girouard
06-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Hey Paul,

Remember Gordie Howe? He was the worst...but the difference was he didn't immediately retaliate. Play would be in one of the offensive zones later in the game, yet there would be Gordie crossing the red line with an opposition player crumpled on the ice next to him...refs never saw what happened.

Ya Gordie'd get er done. I think Derek Sanderson (the Turk) once dropped his gloves to throw down with Gordie , when Sanderson was a rookie. Gordie told him " Don't think about it kid!" And the Turk , so the story goes , picked up his gloves , and play went on.

Gordie was a good one, could change hands on the fly , must have been confusing for defensemen to have a guy change hands on you on a drive to the net.

I still think a lot of stick work came from the European style of play , no one seems to want to debate that.

Paul Girouard
06-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Not just some, a lot. And the NHL knows it. More of this sort of crapp goes on in the NHL than in all other pro sport combined. Its why I don't watch much hockey anymore.

Well that and the conflict of interest with DWTS!

(((We watch it as well, where else can I guy sit and watch gals dressed like that with ones wife! LOL . ))

Flying Orca
06-14-2013, 08:13 PM
I still think a lot of stick work came from the European style of play , no one seems to want to debate that.

Don Cherry's been saying the same for years. All I can say is that most of the stick-related penalties I see are accidental high-sticking, and they don't seem to be associated with any particular nationality.

chas
06-14-2013, 08:15 PM
"I guess some people just don't mind seeing bad behaviour rewarded."

Which you would be if I responded to this troll ...(nice Marchand imitation, Orca, you're good with the words but can you feather a drop pass to the rushing defenceman's stick with the same pinache?) ...which has gotten a little off topic, maybe? / Jim

Flying Orca
06-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Which you would be if I responded to this troll ...

While I have occasionally indulged in a bit of mild trollery, I haven't done so in this thread. As to your question, I played defence as a small town kid back east but didn't continue after moving to the city; I was too busy with singing and swimming to play hockey.

chas
06-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Tied at 1, end of the second. Marchand takes a slash and hits the post while killing a penalty, draws one just a few seconds later. Great shift! What's not to like about that? :d / Jim

Paul Girouard
06-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Tied at 1, end of the second. Marchand takes a slash and hits the post while killing a penalty, draws one just a few seconds later. Great shift! What's not to like about that? :d / Jim

Ya , I was thinking the same thing! Tuuka's kept the Bruins in this one, could have been 3-0 after the first period!

Paul Girouard
06-15-2013, 09:25 PM
These goalies are both playin big! If it's not tipped , or someone not laying on them they stop the puck!

chas
06-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Nobody standing around in front; no rebounds. Simple game! / Jim

Paul Girouard
06-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Another late one for the east coasters !

Paul Girouard
06-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Unbelievable! Jagr , Lucic , (sp) talk about every thing BUt scoring

Paul Girouard
06-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Ya baby!!!

Paul Girouard
06-15-2013, 10:32 PM
The inside of the post, way ta go!!

JBreeze
06-15-2013, 10:36 PM
They got one on the road! Great come-back after that weak 1st period.

Paul Girouard
06-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Good first period so far.

Chris Coose
06-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Boston sucks, so far. Looks like they've already played into overtime.

Paul Girouard
06-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Ya they suck, 2-0 Boston.

Paul Girouard
06-17-2013, 09:49 PM
166 shut-out minutes for Rask at home.

JBreeze
06-17-2013, 09:54 PM
And 26 power plays killed in a row.

ALL remaining games will be on NBC television in the US, for those who don't have cable, or their cable company doesn't carry NHL games.

Paul Girouard
06-17-2013, 09:56 PM
And 26 power plays killed in a row

ALL remaining games will be on NBC television in the US, for those who don't have cable, or their carrier doesn't carry NHL games.

I'm lucky, I get to watch Hockey Night in Canada's cable feed CBC.

JBreeze
06-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Who does the play-by-play and commentary for Hockey Night?

Paul Girouard
06-17-2013, 10:07 PM

Bob Cole is one of them , I'm not sure who called tonight's game , but they do a better job than NBC's crews , the camera feeds are the same, but the editor or guy who says what camera they show is the big difference .IMO.

moTthediesel
06-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Bob Cole is OK, but there never will be another Danny Gallivan. I always hated the Habs, but I loved to hear Danny call the game....

It was scintillating!

Paul Girouard
06-19-2013, 08:25 PM

Since you mentioned this I've been watching and listening for the names of this crew, on US TV, we'd have seen the broadcast crew 10 times, I did miss the pre-game stuff , got home from work just before they dropped the puck .

I don't recall seeing the announcers in the first period, so again the difference between HNC and NBC.

1-1, Bruins where lucky to get out of the 1st period tied.

JimD
06-19-2013, 08:40 PM
3-1 Blackhawks

Paul Girouard
06-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Not skating , not plugging the front , ah 4-3 , they skated and plugged there!

JimD
06-19-2013, 08:58 PM
4-2...4-3

Flying Orca
06-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Good game so far.

Paul Girouard
06-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Bruins just can't string any thing together. Jagr is amazing at 41 to be playing the way he's been! He's a freak of nature.

chas
06-19-2013, 10:07 PM
"166 shut-out minutes for Rask at home." Ya jinxed him| / Jim

Paul Girouard
06-19-2013, 10:10 PM
"166 shut-out minutes for Rask at home." Ya jinxed him| / Jim

Ya, never should have typed that! LOL

JBreeze
06-19-2013, 10:18 PM
I'm too old for all the excitement of Bruins' overtime games....it would be terrific to return to Chicago up 3-1.

Whatever happens, Claude Julien should get the same respect Belichick and Terry Francona received.

Paul Girouard
06-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Easy to see that coming! series tied 2-2.

chas
06-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Have I mentioned Game 7? / Jim

Paul Girouard
06-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Bruins better find some jump and start skaking thru the plays , coasting ain't gonna cut it!

Paul Girouard
06-22-2013, 08:25 PM
These cross ice passes by both teams D is risky! The pro seem to love it, my Jr High coach would have killed me for those!

chas
06-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Hey Paul / Cherry says there will be Game 7. 1st shift should be a doozy! / Jim

Fitz
06-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Let's go Bruins!!

Paul Girouard
06-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Bruins got the jump , but can't hit the back of the net!

Paul Girouard
06-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Hey Paul / Cherry says there will be Game 7. 1st shift should be a doozy! / Jim

I hope he's right !

Tom Montgomery
06-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Go Blackhawks!

Paul Girouard
06-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Crawford's just been good enough , or Boston can't handle the puck in tight on the net. Lots of bouncing pucks , ice must be crappy.

Paul Girouard
06-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Finally some one in front!

Paul Girouard
06-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Bruins blew that game and the cup!

S/V Laura Ellen
06-24-2013, 09:55 PM
to lose at home is tough

Flying Orca
06-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Skill prevails. Have fun golfing, Marchand.

Tom Montgomery
06-24-2013, 11:06 PM
What a finish!

Nicholas Scheuer
06-25-2013, 10:43 AM
The announcers said the ice was bad going in; high humidity. Now, I don't follow hockey, not until it's the Blackhawks play for the Stanley Cup. I've seen more hockey in this Final Series than over the previous ten or twenty years (hardly saw any of their previous SC win). However, it seemed to me that the Hawks were outplayed in every phase throughout the first period, and much of the second. Or is that just the Bruins' style?

Flying Orca
06-25-2013, 11:12 AM
I would say the Hawks were outplayed in the first and parts of the second, for sure, and parts of the third too. Their penalty kill won them the game (and the Cup) every bit as much as Toews, Bickell, and Bolland.

Having watched them through several series, though, I think their style is a bit deceptive... they're not throwing their weight around the way Boston does, but they're quietly doing all the little things right, and those things add up to good chances. Their puck movement out of their end is a delight to watch.

JimD
06-25-2013, 11:25 AM
A surprising finish.

Nicholas Scheuer
06-25-2013, 11:51 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/toronto-sun-mocks-boston-bruins-stanley-cup-finals-choke-062513