PDA

View Full Version : A Derecho? WTH???

Paul Pless
06-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Sustained straight line winds of up to a hundred miles an hour. . .

Oh yeah, hail, tornadoes, severe thunderstorms, and localized heavy rain which may lead to flash floods also are possible!

hokiefan
06-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Sustained straight line winds of up to a hundred miles an hour. . .

Oh yeah, hail, tornadoes, severe thunderstorms, and localized heavy rain which may lead to flash floods also are possible!

Gonna sit on the screen porch and watch???

Keith Wilson
06-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Life in Hell.

hokiefan
06-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Actually, they are predicting a major storm line to move from Iowa to the east coast. Hell is just kinda in the way!

http://news.yahoo.com/big-storm-threat-brewing-iowa-mid-atlantic-190249476.html

Paul Pless
06-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Gonna sit on the screen porch and watch???hell yeah :d

Bobby of Tulsa
06-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Normal day in Okie land.

wardd
06-12-2013, 05:55 PM
we had a hail storm here a bit ago and the way my duck dealt with it was to stand up straight with his bill pointed in the direction of the falling hail

when you think about it it makes perfect sense

Bob Adams
06-12-2013, 06:08 PM
We got nailed by one of thoses suckers last year. Some areas of Maryland were without power for a week. Looks like we get another shot tommorrow.

Paul Pless
06-12-2013, 06:21 PM
We got nailed by one of thoses suckers last year. Some areas of Maryland were without power for a week. Looks like we get another shot tommorrow.there were fourteen deaths associated with that storm

MiddleAgesMan
06-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Here's a great shot of the storm as it's pummeling Chicago: http://gawker.com/lightning-strikes-the-willis-tower-in-downtown-chicago-513037047?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

chas
06-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Thinks are rockin' at the rink there also. / Jim

ron ll
06-12-2013, 10:22 PM
So I don't think I've heard that word before. Someone want to explain it to those of us who live in paradise rather than hell?

MiddleAgesMan
06-12-2013, 10:39 PM
It's a new word to me, too...errrr, also. ;)

Paul Girouard
06-12-2013, 10:46 PM
So I don't think I've heard that word before. Someone want to explain it to those of us who live in paradise rather than hell?

A derecho (/dəˈreɪtʃoʊ/, də-reh-choh, from Spanish: derecho [deˈɾetʃo], "straight") is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line wind storm that is associated with a fast-moving band of severe thunderstorms. Generally, derechos are convection-induced and take on a bow echo (backward "C") form of squall line, forming in an area of wind divergence in the upper levels of the troposphere, within a region of low-level warm air advection and rich low-level moisture. They travel quickly in the direction of movement of their associated storms, similar to an outflow boundary (gust front), except that the wind is sustained and increases in strength behind the front, generally exceeding hurricane-force. A warm-weather phenomenon, derechos occur mostly in summer, especially during June and July in the Northern Hemisphere, within areas of moderately strong instability and moderately strong vertical wind shear. They may occur at any time of the year and occur as frequently at night as during the daylight hours.

Gerarddm
06-13-2013, 12:06 AM
All quiet on the western front here...

Full Tilt
06-13-2013, 02:01 AM
Good luck Paul

hokiefan
06-13-2013, 02:12 AM

A derecho (/dəˈreɪtʃoʊ/, də-reh-choh, from Spanish: derecho [deˈɾetʃo], "straight") is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line wind storm that is associated with a fast-moving band of severe thunderstorms. Generally, derechos are convection-induced and take on a bow echo (backward "C") form of squall line, forming in an area of wind divergence in the upper levels of the troposphere, within a region of low-level warm air advection and rich low-level moisture. They travel quickly in the direction of movement of their associated storms, similar to an outflow boundary (gust front), except that the wind is sustained and increases in strength behind the front, generally exceeding hurricane-force. A warm-weather phenomenon, derechos occur mostly in summer, especially during June and July in the Northern Hemisphere, within areas of moderately strong instability and moderately strong vertical wind shear. They may occur at any time of the year and occur as frequently at night as during the daylight hours.

I have also heard them called bow echos. This name comes from the radar signature that looks like the archer's bow. That said, I'd never heard of them until I moved to the mid-west. In the south we just have thunderstorms, severe thunderstorms, and big-a$$ severe thunderstorms.

And an occasional hurricane...

Cheers,

Bobby

Paul Pless
06-13-2013, 05:25 AM
Good luck PaulIt was pretty anticlimactic, or maybe anticlimatic would be a better play. ;) Anyways, I slept through it. . .

Mrleft8
06-13-2013, 07:18 AM
We're expecting the remains of it this afternoon. Oh joy.

Figment
06-13-2013, 07:28 AM
and to think that I passed up on the chance to be delivery crew on the Branford-stonington run today.

Bob Adams
06-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Its here.

carlg
06-13-2013, 08:50 AM
We got 2-1/2 inches of rain out of it in one hour.

John of Phoenix
06-13-2013, 10:00 AM
I always thought "derecho" means "right" in Spanish and "recto" means "straight".

Regardless, here's hoping everyone comes through it in one piece.

Bob Adams
06-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Doppler radar now shows a "hook" making a beeline for me and Enterprise. Batten down the hatches! Hope to report back shortly.

Tom@NC
06-13-2013, 03:11 PM
I hope that each of you stays safe!
Here we have scattered thunderstorms one day and isolated thunderstorms the next day. I am very thankful to the weather folks for making the differences clear, although I haven't been able to tell the difference without their help.
Today we will be having scattered thunderstorms.
Tom

Bob Adams
06-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Well that was interesting. House OK, Enterprise OK. There were some nasty cells to the south of me.... Lee G, other Chesapeake rats check in please!

Mrleft8
06-13-2013, 04:15 PM
I think it's actually a bastardization of the word/name "Jericho".... Where "The walls came down"