PDA

View Full Version : Searching for the Moby Dick 1914

Thomas A. Boullioun
01-05-2002, 05:27 PM
I have been trying to locate the whereabouts of the current owner of a classic yacht named the M/V "Moby-Dick". It was built in 1914 at the Heath shipyards in Seattle, WA. It was 61' long. Originally of Ted Geary Design it has seen two World Wars and was last seen lanquishing in a shipyard in Everett, WA. in 1991. I have many pictures of this boat that were taken in 1934. The negs are 5" X 7" silver nitrate E-mail me at taboullioun@hotmail.com I also have several fittings taken from the vessel when it sank in 1989 and was subseqwuently raised and stored at Everett. Or you can call me call me at 360-793-7581 Regards, Thomas

Ariane
01-07-2002, 05:11 PM
The USCG has a site to look up documented vessels. This looks like the one you want (if the link I copied works. Owner is supposed to be:

LARRY KALK
549 Hall Hill Rd
Somers, CT 06071

Built: E.W. HEATH, Seattle, WA
Doc #: 212366

http://www.st.nmfs.gov/webplcomm/plsql/webst1.cgv_pkg.vessel_id_list?vessel_id_in=212366

Ken Liden
01-07-2002, 10:31 PM
Hello Tom, Haven't seen you around for a while.

plimsol
02-12-2002, 12:16 AM
Hello,
Where to start. The Moby Dick was originally called the Olympic. She was designed by Lee &
Brinton , NA in Seattle. Heath built her. I cannot recall the original owner at this time. H.W. McCurdy owned her up to WWII, when she was taken over by the U.S. Army for a scandalously cheap price. McCurdy did not repurchase her after the war. He bought the 96' Blue Peter, which was designed by Ted Geary.
The complete plans for Moby Dick are in the Ships Plans Collection of the Puget Sound Maritime Historical Society. They have not been throughly cataloged yet, but your inquiry is a good reason to see what is in the roll.
Sadly, the Moby Dick was in derelect shape on the hard in Everett, about 1991 is right, with a fence around her to keep the wharf rats from picking her clean of the bronze ports and hardware. I suspect she is in a land fill by now. Another vessel her size was in similar condition next to her - the Pagan.
The negatives sound facinating, you should contact PSMHS about them, as they have an extenive archive.
Best wishes.