PDA

View Full Version : US Postal Service costs to Europe

skaraborgcraft
06-01-2013, 04:21 AM
Whats going on? Last year prices were as reasonable as they had always been. Its been cost effective to buy all sorts of goods from the US and ship them to Europe. Not anymore!

I had a parts document shipped, weight 3oz shipping price $18.00
Still waiting for my points and condensors, shipping price $19.75 (not outragous)

Was going to order $12 study plans but shipping $23.95!

I may only be a small time online shopper, but i must be one of many who are now going to be buying elsewhere due to the new shipping charges. Perhaps someone ought to tell the Boss that this is killing your export market.

Hwyl
06-01-2013, 08:39 AM
The post office is in trouble and that is a much larger discussion. The present management seems particularly silly.

Cuyahoga Chuck
06-01-2013, 12:21 PM
The US Postal Service was ordered by our Congress to make several multi-billion dollar payments earmarked to service pensions that would be paid about 30 or more years from now. I do not know why. Since the Postal service was already billions in deficit they were going broke fast. The Postal Sevice is also being hammered by the lack of ordinary mail which has been pre-empted by electronic communications.

Paul Girouard
06-01-2013, 12:25 PM
It's about time the playing field was leveled between the USPS and UPS type carriers. We've propped it up , and it's benefit packages to "our" employees long enough!

I'd say the rates your seeing are a reflection of that "leveling up" process!

Suck it up butter cup and pay the fair market value for transportation.

john welsford
06-01-2013, 02:11 PM
The post office is in trouble and that is a much larger discussion. The present management seems particularly silly.

Interesting you say that.
An example of the service that they provide, I'm an inveterate searcher of second hand bookshops shelves so tend to collect weight as I travel. When in the USA last trip I sent a parcel of books back home to New Zealand to avoid going over my luggage weight limit on the plane, and it was an interesting experience.
I bought the box, was made to pay for it before I packed the books in it, and no I could not pile the books and box on the scale to make a single transaction of it.
I packed the box, found that it did not have sticky flaps to close it so asked about tape, and was offered a tiny roll of packaging tape at an exorbitant price. ($5.50, the same thing sells for $1.49 at Staples, I checked) I only needed about two feet of it so that made it doubly expensive. Another separate transaction by the way. Then was given all the customs paperwork and no the slow surly clerk said I could not fill it out at the counter which meant that by the time I completed everything I'd had to stand in the queue four times so the whole thing took just over an hour.

Would I use US Post again? Not if I could possibly avoid it. I wonder how many other people feel the same way?

John Welsford

Paul Girouard
06-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Interesting you say that.
An example of the service that they provide, I'm an inveterate searcher of second hand bookshops shelves so tend to collect weight as I travel. When in the USA last trip I sent a parcel of books back home to New Zealand to avoid going over my luggage weight limit on the plane, and it was an interesting experience.
I bought the box, was made to pay for it before I packed the books in it, and no I could not pile the books and box on the scale to make a single transaction of it.
I packed the box, found that it did not have sticky flaps to close it so asked about tape, and was offered a tiny roll of packaging tape at an exorbitant price. ($5.50, the same thing sells for $1.49 at Staples, I checked) I only needed about two feet of it so that made it doubly expensive. Another separate transaction by the way. Then was given all the customs paperwork and no the slow surly clerk said I could not fill it out at the counter which meant that by the time I completed everything I'd had to stand in the queue four times so the whole thing took just over an hour.

Would I use US Post again? Not if I could possibly avoid it. I wonder how many other people feel the same way?

John Welsford

Yet ANOTHER satisfied USPS customer!:d

Like going to the DMV, you'd think the customer was the enemy, instead of the reason they HAVE jobs!! It's a wonder the USPS has lasted as long as it has, but when you've been "the only show in town" for years it's easy to see how they have lasted.

skaraborgcraft
06-02-2013, 06:03 AM
I dont mind paying the fair market rate. Im also an avid book buyer, so i purchase wherever the books i want are. The rates from the US are not in my opinion market rate. Postage rates for sending out anything other than a letter from Sweden are frightning too. UPS provide a reasonable service in Sweden, but DHL seem to be best for reliable global service.

Cuyahoga Chuck
06-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Whats going on? Last year prices were as reasonable as they had always been. Its been cost effective to buy all sorts of goods from the US and ship them to Europe. Not anymore!

I had a parts document shipped, weight 3oz shipping price $18.00
Still waiting for my points and condensors, shipping price $19.75 (not outragous)

Was going to order $12 study plans but shipping $23.95!

I may only be a small time online shopper, but i must be one of many who are now going to be buying elsewhere due to the new shipping charges. Perhaps someone ought to tell the Boss that this is killing your export market.

"Shipping" and "postage" are not necessarily the same commodity. Plenty of on-line retailers make additional profits by charging excessive shipping fees.

Hugh Conway
06-03-2013, 12:13 AM
It's about time the playing field was leveled between the USPS and UPS type carriers. We've propped it up , and it's benefit packages to "our" employees long enough! .

Only recently has it been "propped up" and that was only for prepaying the pensions. If prepaying pensions were so useful - why not for all businesses?

USPS is generally affordable and good service, very satisfied.

johnw
06-03-2013, 12:24 AM
It used to be possible to ship things very cheaply (and slowly) by surface, but no more. Part of the problem is, we're asking the Post Office to support itself like a business, but congress won't let them act like a business. They won't let them close unprofitable locations, or stop Saturday delivery, or pay into their pension fund in the manner most corporations do. The pension fund thing is just to give congress some of the Post Office's money they can spend and say it's not borrowed.

The Post Office is in the constitution, but it isn't a government agency, so it's an odd duck. As for service, that depends on which office you go to. I get quite good service where I am, but I know they are under a lot of pressure.

John How
06-03-2013, 12:50 AM
I think congress would like to see the postal service go under which would be real sad. I regularly ship acoustic guitars to the UK and the postal service is cheaper than the competition by quite a bit. The only guitar I have ever had damaged in shipping was shipped by Fedex. Also I think not all offices or postal clerks are equal, some actually care about doing their job, of course i live in a town where we know thm by name so perhaps that makes a difference.

jonboy
06-03-2013, 04:17 AM
on a tangent, how about customs duties when the goods arrive in Europe.....?

A few years ago I bought some outboard service parts from a classic ob dealer in US, totalling about 60usd and was charged an absolutely arbitrary 128 € by Portuguese customs....no reason given how they arrived at that sum, not value added tax, not any scale they would tell me anyway.
recently I bought some art materials from a shop in Calgary and had them shipped here.... again, an unrelated apparently arbitrary fee charged to release them from customs, more than twice the invoice value.

I now have stuff like this sent to UK and forwarded from there to here in Portugal...as it's Europe internal, no customs charges. And the UK has never yet charged duties on arrival from US or Canada...mostly eBay stuff, but not always....
As for the thread 's postal costs, Ive so far found them reasonable......
here we pay by the gram regardless, so there's no good deal for printed matter as in UK....It's just not feasible to send a book, for instance.
Standardisation needed? as competition doesn't seem to be working..