PDA

View Full Version : Best BBQ Ribs (so far)

Chip-skiff
05-30-2013, 09:26 PM
When I got married, 13 years ago, she had a small Weber Kettle grill (perfect for two) and I'm still learning new tricks with it. No doubt the old BBQ hands have this thing wired, but being a stubborn sort, I like discovering it on my own.

Cleaning out a shed, I found an ancient sack of hickory chips, and looked up ways to use them. In a foil packet with holes poked in it, on the coals, not so good: profuse smoke that didn't last long and the meat dried out.

The oldtime way is to soak the chips for an hour and layer them right on the charcoal. So I tried that on a pork loin and it came out beaut. I love boneless pork ribs, and the store had big packages at half-price, so I tried 'em out. Put 'em in a bag with Gates Original Classic BBQ Rub for two hours in the fridge and an hour on the counter. No pre-cooking (which I think drains the flavor). With a good bed of medium-hot coals, I put the ribs on to sear and brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Then I hoisted the grill with the ribs off and layered the moist hickory chips on. Then the grill and the top went on, with the vent 3/4 open.

Every ten minutes, I rotated the top so the vent was drawing smoke over different parts. After twenty minutes, I added a half-measure of hickory chips.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-gbWdYS9rio0/UagEQlaTxCI/AAAAAAAAEFA/wyDAJDkPyz4/s750/ribs1.jpg

The smell was killing me. The dog was sniffing the air and drooling. After six minutes searing and thirty under the hood, they came out like this:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Ae_85uRQgVc/UagEV0VorjI/AAAAAAAAEFI/EsYdmV-Luo0/s800/ribs2.jpg

Gorgeous brown, juicy, done but not overcooked. Astonishingly rich taste. No sauce required. Not even salt or pepper.

Boiled corn on the cob, spinach salad with greenhouse cuke and yellow and orange cherry tomatoes.

I'm in heaven wit' my feets hangin' out.

Tom Montgomery
05-30-2013, 09:30 PM
I smoke turkey breast on my Weber grill. The best I have ever eaten!

pumpkin
05-30-2013, 10:03 PM
I smoke turkey breast on my Weber grill. The best I have ever eaten!

Whole turkey on a Weber kettle. HOT coals, scoop coals to the sides, put turkey in a rack breast down and keep the coals HOT. A ten pound bird should cook in 45 minutes to an hour.

At the last family reunion we cooked 5 and a half an hour later they were picked clean.

Chip-skiff
05-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Whole turkey on a Weber kettle. HOT coals, scoop coals to the sides, put turkey in a rack breast down and keep the coals HOT. A ten pound bird should cook in 45 minutes to an hour.

Ever tried starting it breast down and then flipping it halfway through cooking? I've got a ten pound turkey in the freezer, so I might give it a go, on the big Weber kettle.

Thanks.

leikec
05-31-2013, 01:08 AM
I've had good luck doing ribs on the Weber without pre-cooking using techniques similar to yours.

The best ribs I ever cooked were pre-cooked in the oven--two racks, each cut in half and then the half slabs were stacked four high in a meat loaf pan. I put them in the oven set at 200 degrees and every half hour I rotated the bottom half rack to the top and at that time I also basted them with a little apple cider with some brown sugar dissolved in it. They took about three hours to cook, and them I threw them on the grill to brown up a bit (about 5 minutes).

Jeff C

Paul Pless
05-31-2013, 05:47 AM
Those look good. One thing that's great about grilling, barbecuing, and smoking is the endless opportunity to experiment.

-> pork the one you love <-

bogdog
05-31-2013, 05:52 AM
Looks like Mr. Brown came to town.

Mrleft8
05-31-2013, 09:07 AM
Looking good! You can try soaking the chips in apple cider for an extra taste sensation.

Caede
05-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Boiled corn on the cob, spinach salad with greenhouse cuke and yellow and orange cherry tomatoes.

I'm in heaven wit' my feets hangin' out.

That looks fantastic. I have a charcoal barrel grill I may do some ribs in this weekend. The only problem I have with your meal is that you boiled the corn!

If you don't have enough grill space for it (looks like yours was full!), get another small charcoal grill, wrap each ear of corn in tin foil with a pat of butter and salt and toss it on the grill, too. (Purists will say to grill it in the husk, but wrapped in foil is faster and just as tasty to my unsophisticated palette.)

I am so hungry right now.

Figment
05-31-2013, 10:08 AM
hmmmm yes tomorrow might be a good day to put a slab-o-pig on the fire.

Last time I smoked a butt (oh, stop) in the weber I did the ring of briquettes around the perimeter thing, which was surprisingly effective.

Mrleft8
05-31-2013, 10:18 AM
I may have to do a test run tomorrow too....

P-man
05-31-2013, 10:22 AM
Those look great. I love my Weber kettles.

Chip-skiff
05-31-2013, 03:42 PM
Those look great. I love my Weber kettles.

I got a Cobb Cooker last year.

http://popuptimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/cobb-cooker.jpg

It uses less charcoal and does a nice job of roasting, but it's a butt-cramp to clean. So I mostly stick with the Weber Kettles.

Captain Intrepid
05-31-2013, 05:56 PM
Looks super delicious!

I've got some drinks to do with the BBQ for ya here.

http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/2013/05/cocktails-with-grilled-ingredients.html

Chip-skiff
05-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Cocktails with food? Not sure I'd last.

With the ribs, I like a dry riesling or even a Gruet blanc de noirs.

Flying Orca
05-31-2013, 07:33 PM
So here's a question for you grill guys. I have a Little House in the Ghetto™, so I have very little room for a grill, and if I get one, I'm not likely to cook for more than two. Is there a good small grill option that would allow for hot smoking and not break the bank?

Chip-skiff
05-31-2013, 07:40 PM
So here's a question for you grill guys. I have a Little House in the Ghetto™, so I have very little room for a grill, and if I get one, I'm not likely to cook for more than two. Is there a good small grill option that would allow for hot smoking and not break the bank?

I'd recommend either the wee kettle pictured in my post, or the rectangular model.

http://4014ca31ae82df20d6a4-45a8e764187dff1857a6ffe8280848dc.r36.cf2.rackcdn.c om/uploads/images/cropped/360_310/2013_04_10_05_34_43_Smokey_Joe_Silver.jpg

http://4014ca31ae82df20d6a4-45a8e764187dff1857a6ffe8280848dc.r36.cf2.rackcdn.c om/uploads/images/cropped/360_310/2013_04_15_01_24_39_Go_Anywhere_Charcoal.jpg

http://www.weber.com/grills/category/portable

Paul Pless
05-31-2013, 07:42 PM
Chip's using a small Weber. If you could swing it the medium sized Weber is more versatile. Webbers are pretty much the standard do anything grill. You can can cook hot and fast or low and slow on them or really slow smoke even. And they're not expensive.

Paul Pless
05-31-2013, 07:44 PM
Do you have a small deck or stoop? If so you could potentially hang the grill off the side of it like boat grills hang overboard. Be careful of hot ash and coal and drips from it though. . .

Flying Orca
05-31-2013, 07:56 PM
Do you have a small deck or stoop? If so you could potentially hang the grill off the side of it like boat grills hang overboard. Be careful of hot ash and coal and drips from it though. . .

No, I'd have to build a platform, maybe on the back steps. When you say medium-size, do you mean gas? My impression is that one might be better off with charcoal, but what do I know... the last food I smoked was in the arctic, with heather.

Chip-skiff
05-31-2013, 07:59 PM
For grilling on a wood deck, go to an auto parts store and get a round steel oil change pan to catch the falling coals, less than $10.

Paul Pless
05-31-2013, 08:03 PM
No, I'd have to build a platform, maybe on the back steps. When you say medium-size, do you mean gas? My impression is that one might be better off with charcoal, but what do I know... the last food I smoked was in the arctic, with heather.No gas, definitely go charcoal. Those Webers come in several sizes.

Flying Orca
05-31-2013, 08:04 PM
For grilling on a wood deck, go to an auto parts store and get a round steel oil change pan to catch the falling coals, less than $10.

Nothing we could dignify with the term "deck". There's a horrible old kind of landing between the back porch door and the steps down to the parking pad, but it's gone as soon as we get down to that level of priority. I'd probably build or buy a sturdy folding table. The pan sounds good though.

Chip-skiff
06-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Did a piece of beef brisket. Bagged it with Gates Classic rub overnight and slow-cooked it in the solar oven all day, then smoked it in the Weber Kettle for 25 minutes.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Xgfc8f_oTSs/UbvIrNeVlpI/AAAAAAAAELA/u1fwfJi5M_U/s600/brisket.jpg

Good flavour, but somewhat dry. Next time, I'll smoke it first, then slow-cook it, which should permeate the meat with the smoke taste, and keep it moist.

Sides of cob corn and green salad.

Paul Pless
06-14-2013, 09:02 PM
To me, brisket is the most difficult cut to really do well on the grill or smoker.

Chip-skiff
06-14-2013, 09:16 PM
I've not cooked many. Next time, I'll fire up the wee kettle in the morning and give it a scorch and a smoke before putting it in the solar cooker. When I unwrapped it (tight foil inside a black roasting pan) there was about a cup of juice, which I saved. At that point, it was moist and tender. So reversing the order should yield brisket that's smoky, moist, and tender.

Or so I hope.

PhaseLockedLoop
06-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Or you could sous vide the brisket and go over it quickly with a torch before serving. I've tried it, and it's great.

George Jung
06-15-2013, 12:32 PM
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4884456883817681&pid=1.7&w=150&h=164&c=7&rs=1 These seem quite nice - and if you have a Menards nearby, they carry a 'knock off' (in Red) that looks very similar, but costs about half- 1/4 the money). A friend does most of his smoking/ribs in his.