PDA

View Full Version : May be a tad crusty the next few days/years

bob winter
05-27-2013, 08:10 PM
I have run out of cheap tobacco, finally. I brought enough back from Barbados the end of January to last me until now but it is finally gone as of maybe one very short smoke tomorrow morning. I will be damned if I will pay $25 for a pack of tobacco in Ontario that I can buy in Barbados for $4 duty free or $7 normal retail.

All the medical quacks, including the guy who trims those claws that at one time were likely toe nails, are hounding me.

Doctor - blood pressure and lungs
Eye doctor - adverse impact on AMD
Dentist - something to do with 25 in implants falling out

Total pains in the arse, a pox on the whole shooting match.

I personally could give a rat's arse if I pop off tomorrow or the next day. It will happen sooner or later, so what the big deal?

However, I would like to stick around long enough to actually be able to talk to my grandson and warn him against his father and to maybe get my affairs in order. He is starting to show some evidence of an eventual ability to communicate, but it may take some time yet. I do have a few odds and that are worth a few dollars and I would prefer that don't end up in some landfill. Then there is the matter of the cottage/camp. The jury is out on that one. It may be ugly when the will is read, but do I give a ****e.

Is 180/74 considered t0 be high blood pressure? Is a third of a bottle of scotch good, I regard it as moderate consumption.

Hwyl
05-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Good on you, now change your avatar.

Chip-skiff
05-27-2013, 08:16 PM
Sounds like you should be approached with either extreme caution. . . or cheap tobacco and scotch.

bob winter
05-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Changing the avatar will wait for awhile, As they say the road to hell (not Paul's is paved with good intentions.

seanz
05-27-2013, 08:19 PM
You're crusty anyway, how do we tell?
:)

Give it weeks, not day/years, people report real improvements after weeks off the smokes.

Good Luck.

bob winter
05-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Doctor does not regard the booze as an issue. It is not as if I drank a 40 pounder a day. Consumption has not changed, one way or another, for years.

skipper68
05-27-2013, 08:23 PM
I was a bit concerned with your thread line. ;)
I wish you the best.
I'm fine. :D
ROTFL!:arg

Waddie
05-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Bob, if you give up some of that you'll sure up your chances of talking with that grandson. I smoked a pipe but quit a few years ago by just not buying more tobacco when I ran out. I still have a drink a day and I always tried to eat healthy; diabetes runs in the family.

I'm sure your grandson will appreciate your efforts even if you don't. And 120/80 is where you need to be, or close to it. The bottom number is the most important, especially as you get older, or so my doc says, and you seem to be good on the lower side number.

I hope you will think through this and make some healthy decisions, because you'll have to live with the consequences, good or bad. And remember, you doctor isn't some kind of mechanic who can fix it back to new condition even when you drove it hard; you need to work as a team. Good luck,

regards,
Waddie

Full Tilt
05-27-2013, 08:25 PM
I quit smoking 6 months ago Bob, and it has changed my outlook drastically for the better.

Get busy though, or you'll find yourself gaining weight, big time!

I still use an electric cigarette, but I hardly ever inhale it. There's a nicotine-less make called VAPUR, with several flavours that taste really good. I've tried several others that were lousy.

I'm swimming and exercising every day now and feeling better than I have in years.

And who else is going to teach your grandson about boats?

Mike:ycool:

bob winter
05-27-2013, 08:30 PM
What the hell is an electric cigarette? Did you smoke cigarettes? A sure path to death.

Full Tilt
05-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Ya I know.

They have these disposable battery powered cigarette shaped things, that heat up a glycerine based flavouring when you draw on it like a butt.
The motion and action is just like cigarettes. It even gives you a cloud of vapour which looks exactly like smoke. It was very helpful to me when I was quitting and I still use it occasionally especially when with my smoking buddies.

I don't think they have one for pipe smokers though.

Mike:p

skipper68
05-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Get up and move.
Something magical happens.
You accidently run up stairs.
Then you are still breathing regular.
It's FUN.
I know I'm a joke here-as I plan it that way,(shhhhh) but I am telling you the truth.
Whoops-ran and feel great.
Whoot!

bob winter
05-28-2013, 05:06 AM
Come to think of it, I saw somebody with one of those the other day, in a restaurant no less. Might be worth looking into. I don't think I am addicted to tobacco as such, it is more something to do with my hands while having my coffee in the morning.

No doubt somebody will discover that electric cigarettes cause some sort of serious health issue one of these days.

Full Tilt
05-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Maybe, but I don't haul on it like cigarettes or fill my lungs with the vapour.

There is an illegal version that has nicotine in it. Theoretically even they are safer than cigarettes.

I've tried four versions. They all cost under ten bucks and last about a month. The VAPUR brand is the tastiest and most realistic cigarette effect.

The cherry tastes a bit like an "Old Port" and I like the vanilla flavour as well.

I tried one brand that was built into a plastic tube instead of aluminum which was better to bite on, but the mouthpiece would pop out like a cork if you bit too hard and shoot down your throat. Stay away from that one!

Usually I don't use it in a restaurant, unless it's an extended dinner party. Where I've noticed them to be particularly effective is at the cinema. When I smoked I would always miss a chunk of the film because I was taking an unscheduled intermission outside having a smoke. Now I see the whole movie and dont get "antsy". Consequently I'm seeing a lot more movies.

Getting off smokes, I utilized the Nicoderm patch, but for staying off smokes these things are fantastic.

Mike

TomF
05-28-2013, 09:09 AM
..No doubt somebody will discover that electric cigarettes cause some sort of serious health issue one of these days.Electrocution? :D

(Good for you.)