PDA

View Full Version : Who races their wooden boat?

Todd Schliemann
10-02-2001, 01:24 AM
I'd like to do an informal survey. Who races their wooden boat competively, or otherwise?

paladin
10-02-2001, 07:42 AM
Mid 80's B.O.C. But got stopped after qualifying run....Two days after complating run to Azores aqnd back, was in my little red TR-3 and some nice lady in Buick ran red light and hit me broadside.....after recovering and the race almost finished...went out and ran...unofficially just to prove that such a boat would do it. I of course had slightly different weather conditions but I could have placed 5th or sixth.

John B
10-02-2001, 04:50 PM
We do classics racing.. no Kites.Just harbour races... the odd cruising/destination races... just day events.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1257037&a=13710378&f=0

[This message has been edited by John B (edited 10-02-2001).]

Thad
10-02-2001, 07:10 PM
SEA HARMONY got second of 10 in the traditional gaff rigged class at the Gloucester Schooner Festival race 1 September. There are usually a few other friendly races of this type nearby every Summer.

Ian McColgin
10-03-2001, 10:11 AM
I happily race my friend's Wianno Sr. That's a real 'elbows up' crowd, especially at the start, where you may have several dozens of 60+ year old gaffers crowding the line, hollaring to beat the band, and the poor race committee torn between a general recall since in the chaos they can't seperate exactly who was really over early, versus the option of just turning a blind eye to that crazey throng.

I 'race' Grana about once a year in the Moffett Cup out of Holmes Hole (Vinyardhaven to the uninitiated). Grana is not an around the bouys boat and we always loose a lot of ground to weather, and the RC always lectures us on how it's a genteel race, be nice and don't protest . . .

And I vividly remember the jam up at the committee boat end that had 5 20T boats and one lost and frightened looking Soling in an incredible melee of air turning blue around the mouths of enraged skippers and the image of more tonnage going down at once than any time since the Hurricane of '38. Kind of start that makes you glad you had no breakfast so you don't have to change your undies . . .

The Moffett Cup is actually pretty sedate once you get out of the starting area and I can't remember any collisions or such hard sailing that it led to gear failure. With the Wianno's, on the other hand, splinters on a little contact or broken gaffs are not that strange and one boat was renamed by the rest of us 'The Impaler' after the boat it was chasing gybed and broached, allowing the Impailer's bow to hole her just above the garboard. Down in minutes. Most Wianno sailors (my friend distinctly excepted) come from lots of old money and can afford the yard bills. I mean, these are guys who wouldn't know what end of a varnish brush to hold . . . But that's another story.

Jamie Hascall
10-04-2001, 02:45 PM
On rare occasions, I get to race Victoria in the WYRA (Wooden Yacht Racing Assn.) races in the Puget Sound region. The Norm Blanchard regatta was held at the Center for Wooden Boats this past weekend with little wind Saturday and great gusty Northers on Sunday.

One of my favorite memories was racing at Poulsbo last year and being the first to tack from the far right side of the field. Now being on Starboard tack, I had the pleasure of watching the entire field tack to accomodate us; including the former DuPont family 65' schooner Barlovento which was bearing down on us like a freight train. We didn't win the race but had a great time.

Jamie

Nora Lee
10-05-2001, 10:58 PM
Never been one to sail in circles... I did learn to sail in Lightning races, but learned early in my own boat ownership days, to appreciate a destination rather than a buoy, even if it was back safely at the dock I started out from! LOL

Nora

Scott Rosen
10-06-2001, 07:38 PM
Mine's built for comfort, not for speed. Racing puts a lot of wear and strain on a boat. I'd love to race wooden boats, but someone else's not mine. LOL My favorite boats to race are Thistles. I raced on a couple of wooden ones years ago, but they just couldn't compete with the glass ones. I had my best success in a glass Thistle, Quark, hull no. 2494.

Ian Wright
10-07-2001, 06:36 AM
I race Patience,hardly ever better that half way up the fleet, but there is always someone just ahead that I MIGHT catch and another just astern that might catch me.
Tactics include "point boat in right direction","open Beer",,,,,,,, Er,,,,,that's it.

IanW.

[This message has been edited by Ian Wright (edited 10-07-2001).]

Nora Lee
10-07-2001, 08:51 AM
Ian... How do I sign up to crew, where do you race? Do you serve G&T's?

Nora

Seppo
10-07-2001, 05:21 PM
Hi,

Take a look at

http://mongbat.helsinki.fi/tuoppi/english.htm

if you like to see a summary of an annual happening here in Finland. At best more than 200 boats.

I hope to participate next year... (last summer had some trouble with the crew - something about pouring rain and thunder - in the end it was light wind, sunshine etc... argh.)

I've now got a mahogany sloop built 1963, from plans of Olle Enderlein. Nice boat, some work needed. Something in English at http://www.saunalahti.fi/~ses/ if you wish to take a look.

Season is actually over here; my boat was lifted about two weeks ago.

Seppo

Ian Wright
10-07-2001, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Nora Lee:
Ian... How do I sign up to crew, where do you race? Do you serve G&T's?

Nora
Sign? Nothing so formal, just turn up willing. Ask for me around Heybridge Basin Essex (UK). And, yes,,,,,, also whisky, whiskey, rum and tea according to choice.

IanW

redsail
10-08-2001, 11:32 AM
In Sidney, B.C. on the May 24th long weekend is the annual Frank Fredette Memorial Gaffers Race. The start is off the Sidney pier and the course runs past the end of the Spit, down Miners Channel, around Rum Island and back. Gaffers from far and wide are encouraged to participate. An awards BBQ, raft-up and damn fine party follow.This is serious racing with the first boat back being awarded a bottle of rum while those of us who don't lead feel that the real winners are those with the best lunch. See you there!

Gary Bergman
10-10-2001, 05:48 PM
I race ORCA 4 or 5 times a year. Entered in the Jessica cup race in S. F.on the 20th. Anybody out there do this race before? We did away with the spinnaker track last mast varnishing. When it gets that serious, we take a d.n.f. and go anchor out and party. We pass the boats we wanted to pass, and that works for us pirates.

Bateau Boy
10-10-2001, 06:18 PM
Race?? Heck I only know the meaning of race as to how quick you are to make sure that all liquid refreshments are there when needed. That means have it ready at the starting line so you don't miss the party for the initial pour. What type of mentality do you have by going six miles an hour and getting sunburned and wind up after dark and hungry? Sorry I don't spend my weekends agravating myself for a stupid plate or name on a cup that you have to polish. Sorry also if this doesn't fit the reply as being "COOL"

Todd Schliemann
10-19-2001, 12:18 AM
What type of mentality do you have by going six miles an hour and getting sunburned and wind up after dark and hungry?

It's an age-old sickness, maybe genetic or something. I've seen a doctor about it and he prescibed a wife and kids. That didn't work so I went back and he told me I had the worst case he's seen in years. So he said to take two shots of single malt and call him in the morning to help him rig a new sail and figure out what's the matter with his bilge pump.

Seppo, I have an Olle Enderlein designed boat '67 here in the States. I recognize many of the design elements and hardware from your photos. Also, that bilge looks very familiar. Nice boat. I try to race mine as often as I can because ... well I have this horrid sickness, you know ... (LOL)