Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahp
    • Jan 2001

Fallow Deer

In the last month we have seen fallow deer here on the Island, and also on my property. I didn't know what they were at first. They are a Eurasian species which is not native to the Americas. They are smaller than white tails and darker colored.

Wikipedia states that they have become quite numerous in central Georgia, have no natural enemies, and are a threat to young trees. We have a lot of tree farms in Georgia.

Here on the Island the only natural enemy are automobiles. We have an acre of land, but only half is landscaped. The rest is brush, and that is where I have seen them, and elsewhere. They seem also to be out and about in the daytime, while the white tails are more often seen after dark. So far they haven't eaten any flowers or shrubs. Yet.
  • bogdog
    • Aug 2012

Re: Fallow Deer

Well dam...I mean Dama dama.

Comment

• Phillip Allen
      • May 2002

start watching for browse lines...
      The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
      Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• hokiefan
        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Horace
        Beautiful creatures. But do you have native deer on the island? I would presume they share the same natural enemies, and would be similarly destructive.

From the viewpoint of the home gardener/landscaper, both could be classified as vermin--giant woods' rats.
        The natural enemies of whitetail deer are wolves, coyotes, and cougars. None of which are prevalent (or existent) in coastal Georgia. The closest big cats are the few left in the Everglades. Oh, I forgot gators but they are only in the waterways and marshes. So the prime enemies left are hunters and cars. And there aren't many hunters on ahp's St Simons Island, at least not hunting there.

Cheers,

Bobby

Comment

• Durnik
          Out 'n About
          • Feb 2011

quite numerous in central Georgia, have no natural enemies,
          Are there not coyotes in central Georgia? Bob cats? It is a shame the white man destroyed the wolves.

Hmm, pics show they have elk style horns - Dama, Dama.. ;-)

ETA: Oops! I see Bobby slipped one in ahead of me!

peace
          bobby

Comment

• bogdog
            • Aug 2012

Ya need some red wolves. I imagine some organised urban hunt may be needed eventually although I guess they have been there for some time and have been hunted.

Comment

• ahp
              • Jan 2001

We also have white tail deer in abundance. We came how one night and a doe was reclining on the lawn. She had just finished munching a hydrangea down to the ground. They also vault the 5 ft high fence at the local airport and have been seen on the runways.

There are coyotes in Georgia, but not here on the Island that I know. We do have feral pigs.

Comment

• Horace
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hokiefan
                The natural enemies of whitetail deer are wolves, coyotes, and cougars. None of which are prevalent (or existent) in coastal Georgia. The closest big cats are the few left in the Everglades. Oh, I forgot gators but they are only in the waterways and marshes. So the prime enemies left are hunters and cars. And there aren't many hunters on ahp's St Simons Island, at least not hunting there.

Cheers,

Bobby
                My point was not whether there actually exist local natural enemies for either species, but that whatever would target native deer would also target fallow deer, and that native and fallow deer would likely occupy the same ecological niche.

But it isn't stated in the OP whether there are no whitetails, or if there is in fact a difference in ecological impact of the two species.

Comment

• Horace
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahp
                  We also have white tail deer in abundance. We came how one night and a doe was reclining on the lawn. She had just finished munching a hydrangea down to the ground. They also vault the 5 ft high fence at the local airport and have been seen on the runways.
                  As I said, beautiful creatures, especially fallow deer. And woods' rats.

Comment

• bogdog
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by ahp

There are coyotes in Georgia, but not here on the Island that I know. We do have feral pigs.
                    I've seen white tail deer(that's plural)clear a ten foot fence from a standing position in a panic during a thunder storm.

Comment

• purri
                      • Sep 2009

Beware, fallow (Fealwe? in Celt) can be very aggressive during the rut. BTW the Romans imported then from the ME to Britain. There are a number of sub species and taxonomy is divided if those are separate or otherwise.
                      Last edited by purri; 05-23-2013, 09:55 PM.
                      Xanthorrea

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                        • May 2002

Originally posted by purri
                        Beware, fallow (Fealwe? in Celt) can be very aggressive during the rut.
                        The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Comment

• purri
                          • Sep 2009

Looks like a real bitch slap to me.
                          Xanthorrea

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                            • May 2002

Originally posted by purri
                            Looks like a real bitch slap to me.
                            we used to laugh at those guys who were so desperate to 'get their deer' that they would practically bathe in that 'deer scent'... sometimes I could almost smell them before they got out of their car to come in the store.

Comment

• Zane Lewis
                              • Jan 2001

very nice eating.
                              Of our commonly shoot deer, red, sika & fellow they are the best eating.
                              Zane

Comment

Working...