PDA

View Full Version : The Scandal Ratings

hanleyclifford
05-21-2013, 08:20 PM
Oddly enough the IRS affair gets the nod as the worst of the scandals. I don't agree (the Libya thing is worse IMO). http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/21/fox-news-poll-majority-thinks-white-house-knew-about-irs-actions/

Keith Wilson
05-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Yes indeed. on the Scarlatti Scandal Scale of 1 to 10, we have Libya at .003, the thing with the IRS at .043. the phone records business at 0.24, and umbrellagate at 2.76i*10^-18.

Kaa
05-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Yes indeed. on the Scarlatti Scandal Scale of 1 to 10, we have Libya at .003, the thing with the IRS at .043. the phone records business at 0.24, and umbrellagate at 2.76i*10^-18.

I think IRS is considerably bigger, thought it's not an "Obama scandal".

Also the "phone records business" has an accompanying thread of the DoJ's investigation of James Rosen (and, in particular, the DoJ claim that investigative journalism makes one a co-conspirator).

Kaa

L.W. Baxter
05-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Whadabout the settlement Rupert just paid out for that one time he got caught not having any eticks? Howzat rate wichyou, Clifferd?

Gerarddm
05-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Keith has this pretty well pegged.

Arizona Bay
05-21-2013, 10:32 PM
I can't watch foooox news.
I saw it once for about 5min a couple of years ago, when I walked into a Tire center. It freaked me out, the people walked up closer to the TV and stood like zombies, when the presnters started their emotional ranting over something they had just created themselves...
I had to leave and go somewhere else.

I'll give them a 5 for enthusiasm, creativity, persistence and frothing.
But only .o135 for truthiness.

hanleyclifford
05-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Looks like the Republicans (with some help from certain Democrats, (oi gewalt), are going for the IRS thingy. Seems to offer more instant gratification (are ya hanging on there, Osborne)? The Benghazi thing is going to take more time; hey, maybe the Republicans are timing it for later (heh heh).:)

skuthorp
05-22-2013, 09:03 PM
To quote a well known forumite, Fart!!

hanleyclifford
05-22-2013, 09:33 PM
To quote a well known forumite, Fart!! but "capitalized", with two exclamations? Better do a drawer check...;)

Phillip Allen
05-23-2013, 12:17 AM
how does 'The scandle ridden Obama administration' sound for a chapter title?

Glen Longino
05-23-2013, 12:33 AM
how does 'The scandle ridden Obama administration' sound for a chapter title?

It sounds like a typical groundless Arkansan Troglodyte Title!

hanleyclifford
05-23-2013, 12:03 PM
how does 'The scandle ridden Obama administration' sound for a chapter title? That's gonna be the book title; each scandal deserves it's own chapter.

bogdog
05-23-2013, 12:20 PM
I can't watch foooox news.
... It freaked me out, the people walked up closer to the TV and stood like zombies, when the presnters started their emotional ranting over something they had just created themselves...
I had to leave and go somewhere else....

Good thing ya left 'cause they are zombies.

bogdog
05-23-2013, 12:22 PM
That's gonna be the book title; each scandal deserves it's own chapter.

I think ya mean a three fold pamphlet, like the JWs give out when they impose themselves on you at your front door.

Willin'
05-23-2013, 06:16 PM
It's such a shame that presidents can't run for more than 2 terms. HC would have to spend, literally, minutes looking for a new faux scandal to pin on an enormously popular president. I wonder what the bible says about lying about presidential scandals?

seanz
05-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Oddly enough the IRS affair gets the nod as the worst of the scandals. I don't agree (the Libya thing is worse IMO). http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/21/fox-news-poll-majority-thinks-white-house-knew-about-irs-actions/

There are scandals that make people nod knowingly and then there are scandals that make people nod off............

Phillip Allen
05-23-2013, 06:45 PM
It's such a shame that presidents can't run for more than 2 terms. HC would have to spend, literally, minutes looking for a new faux scandal to pin on an enormously popular president. I wonder what the bible says about lying about presidential scandals?

the dems were able to shut the door behind themselves after they got one elected for 16 years...

ccmanuals
05-23-2013, 07:13 PM

I would disagree. I think the umbrella scandal is the worst. In fact we should call it umbrellagate.

Hwyl
05-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Umbrellagate: Puts others in the shade, it has spoke, it's watertight, it's been in the closet, you can get a handle on it , it's an open and closed case, it's been shafted, it covers the basics

Peter Malcolm Jardine
05-23-2013, 07:55 PM

Most people with fertile imaginations probably agree with you.

hanleyclifford
05-23-2013, 08:03 PM
It's such a shame that presidents can't run for more than 2 terms. HC would have to spend, literally, minutes looking for a new faux scandal to pin on an enormously popular president. I wonder what the bible says about lying about presidential scandals? You need to do more reading - Exodus 20:16.

LeeG
05-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Nothing can be ten times worse than umbrellagate

Phillip Allen
05-23-2013, 09:49 PM
I've been away... what chapter are we on?

seanz
05-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Chapter 13, moral bankruptcy.

Glen Longino
05-23-2013, 10:15 PM
I've been away... what chapter are we on?

"I've been away..."...

Ain't that the danged truth!

Phillip Allen
05-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Chapter 13, moral bankruptcy.

I like ‘turpitude’ better… much more better… AND, it fits under the desk in the ovary office

hanleyclifford
05-24-2013, 12:36 AM
I like ‘turpitude’ better… much more better… AND, it fits under the desk in the ovary office:D:D:D

David G
05-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Here's a bump for ya, hanley -- The Economist talking about the IRS situation:

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21578387-irs-has-behaved-badly-real-villain-congress-who-will-tame-taxman

It turns out that more people in the White House were aware of the IRS’s misdeeds earlier than the administration had previously admitted. Jay Carney, the White House spokesman, had originally made it sound as if the occupants of the building knew nothing more than that the inspector-general who oversees the IRS was about to produce a report on some internal abuses. Now Mr Carney admits that Mr Obama’s chief of staff, Denis McDonough, not only knew about the nature of the scandal, but had discussed with Treasury staff when the report on it would be released.

The IRS selected for extra scrutiny groups whose names included conservative buzzwords, such as “tea party”, “9/12” and “patriot”. Republicans accuse the taxmen of persecuting anti-tax groups. The IRS’s defenders insist that a few low-level functionaries simply made a clumsy attempt at an administrative short-cut. A Pew poll finds that 42% of Americans believe the IRS acted on orders from the administration. No one has uncovered evidence of that.

Evidence abounds, however, that the IRS was badly run. The inspector-general’s report found “confusion” in the unit that picked on conservative groups about the section of the tax code they were supposed to be enforcing, known as 501(c)(4). Even when this became obvious to senior managers, the problem took almost a year to fix. And while it festered, some applications for the tax status in question lingered unresolved for over two years, while the hapless applicants were bombarded with unreasonable and intrusive requests for information, on everything from the content of their Facebook pages to the books their members read.

By its own admission, the service the IRS provides to taxpayers has been getting worse. Last year, it failed to reply to correspondence within the time specified by its own rules almost half the time. Between 2004 and 2012 the proportion of calls on its toll-free line it managed to answer fell from 87% to 68%, and the average wait rose from 3 minutes to 17. This year it is doing even worse. On April 15th, the day tax returns are due, it only answered 57% of calls. That matters, since “voluntary compliance”, as opposed to chasing delinquent taxpayers, brings in more money at less cost. The IRS is also doing less chasing (although few will lament that): the odds of an individual receiving a full audit are now just 1 in 360.

Money is part of the problem: since 2010, the IRS’s budget has been cut by 8%, as has its staff. To help make the required savings, the IRS is shutting up shop on five days over the summer. By the end of the year it will also have cut its training budget by over 80%. As the Taxpayer Advocate, an ombudsman, points out, cutting the IRS’s budget to reduce the deficit is misguided, since the more the agency spends, the more money it brings in.

The main reason why Americans dislike dealing with the IRS is not, however, the bureaucrats’ fault. Congress keeps making the tax code more complex. It is now 4m words long, and has been changed over 4,000 times since 2001 (see table). Americans spend 6.1 billion hours a year complying with it—enough work to keep over 3m people employed full-time without producing anything. Nearly 90% of filers pay for help with their returns. The cost of all this is equivalent to 15% of the tax raised, the taxpayer advocate reckons. This too, is self-defeating, in that it discourages compliance.

hanleyclifford
05-26-2013, 09:53 PM
It does seem that the IRS affair has overshadowed the Libya thing, at least for the moment. The IRS is the government agency everybody loves to hate, but it is a necessary thing. The article mentions the increasing complications in the tax code and I think that generates a lot of mistrust. Looks like a bloodletting is in store for the Obama administration. Scandals are amusing but they are a waste of government energy and focus. Don't count the Libya thing out yet; I see an end run coinciding with early 2016 presidential jockeying.

Durnik
05-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Money is part of the problem: since 2010, the IRS’s budget has been cut by 8%, as has its staff. To help make the required savings, the IRS is shutting up shop on five days over the summer. By the end of the year it will also have cut its training budget by over 80%. As the Taxpayer Advocate, an ombudsman, points out, cutting the IRS’s budget to reduce the deficit is misguided, since the more the agency spends, the more money it brings in.

The main reason why Americans dislike dealing with the IRS is not, however, the bureaucrats’ fault. Congress keeps making the tax code more complex. It is now 4m words long, and has been changed over 4,000 times since 2001 (see table). Americans spend 6.1 billion hours a year complying with it—enough work to keep over 3m people employed full-time without producing anything. Nearly 90% of filers pay for help with their returns. The cost of all this is equivalent to 15% of the tax raised, the taxpayer advocate reckons. This too, is self-defeating, in that it discourages compliance.

But!

But!

But!

What About Obama?!?!? ;-)

thanks, David.
bobby

hanleyclifford
05-26-2013, 11:29 PM
But!

But!

But!

What About Obama?!?!? ;-)

thanks, David.
bobby But you missed the the juiciest part; the chief of staff knew about it so you can bet the Prez did too. Actually, though, I still don't think it's such a big deal. Just politricks.

Durnik
05-26-2013, 11:51 PM
^ tis you who missed 'the juciest parts'..

A) <1/3 receiving the extra scrutiny were Tea Party/Patriot etc - meaning >2/3 were center/left.. Hey! That's not fair! ;-)

B) According to IRS rules, they should have been scrutinized.. _and_ denied. They weren't denied.

If _any_ IRS scandal exists, it is that they weren't denied exempt status - but that's not what you're hot under the collar about, now is it?

The 'scandals' are nothing more than tighty righty whitey fantasies.. taking up taxpayer money.. & allowing Congress to waste _our_ time (they are supposed to work for us - & we _do_ pay them, eh?) while they steadfastly refuse to join Barack Obama & actually help us.. & our country.

_That_ is the (juciest) scandal.

enjoy
bobby

hanleyclifford
05-27-2013, 12:43 AM
^ tis you who missed 'the juciest parts'..

A) <1/3 receiving the extra scrutiny were Tea Party/Patriot etc - meaning >2/3 were center/left.. Hey! That's not fair! ;-)

B) According to IRS rules, they should have been scrutinized.. _and_ denied. They weren't denied.

If _any_ IRS scandal exists, it is that they weren't denied exempt status - but that's not what you're hot under the collar about, now is it?

The 'scandals' are nothing more than tighty righty whitey fantasies.. taking up taxpayer money.. & allowing Congress to waste _our_ time (they are supposed to work for us - & we _do_ pay them, eh?) while they steadfastly refuse to join Barack Obama & actually help us.. & our country.

_That_ is the (juciest) scandal.

enjoy
bobby Still not getting it, bobby; the scandals keep the Congress busy so they don't get anything done. That's not fantasy; that's what's happening and it keeps them from doing any mischief. It's the lefties that are uptight. We're good.:d enjoy, hanley