PDA

View Full Version : Crazy boat build race!

delecta
05-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Hello all,

So here is the deal, I need to build a boat that will sail down wind 500 yards.

I thought that I could use blue board. I would rip a bunch of stringers just under 8 inches and glue them between two inch 4X8 sheets. I would make a platform 12X24 using gorilla glue. So picture this platform with the 4X8 sheets of ridge foam board staggered top and bottom with the 8 inch stringers forming a box. I can reduce the size but I need to carry ten adults. I also have to design a rudder and mast.

The more that I think about it 12X24 is way to big, how about 10X16. That should hold 10 adults? I can cut all the foam before hand but I need to assemble the boat on the beach in two hours.

The rules state that I can't use "boat building material" What can I make a rudder out of? How can I attach it and any suggestions for a mast and sail?

Will gorilla glue set in time or should I use PL300? This is all about bragging rights and nothing more.

If anyone has a better idea I'm open to suggestions.

Canoeyawl
05-20-2013, 07:13 PM
If these 10 adults stay in the middle and don't move, a 10'x16' raft should only draw about 2" with all on board (pun).

However, I can not think of any material that has not been used for boatbuilding...
Maybe gingerbread?

delecta
05-20-2013, 07:24 PM
If these 10 adults stay in the middle and don't move, a 10'x16' raft should only draw about 2" with all on board (pun).

However, I can not think of any material that has not been used for boatbuilding...
Maybe gingerbread?

Can you make gingerbread waterproof? I think they mean fiberglass, Dacron and carbon fiber lol

Canoeyawl
05-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Can you make gingerbread waterproof? I think they mean fiberglass, Dacron and carbon fiber lol

Change the recipe to add resin, not water.

Full Tilt
05-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Change the recipe to add resin, not water.
__________ __________________________________________________ ________

Already been done. Bayliner.

Rum_Pirate
05-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Hello all,

So here is the deal, I need to build a boat that will sail down wind 500 yards.

I thought that I could use blue board. I would rip a bunch of stringers just under 8 inches and glue them between two inch 4X8 sheets. I would make a platform 12X24 using gorilla glue. So picture this platform with the 4X8 sheets of ridge foam board staggered top and bottom with the 8 inch stringers forming a box. I can reduce the size but I need to carry ten adults. I also have to design a rudder and mast.

The more that I think about it 12X24 is way to big, how about 10X16. That should hold 10 adults? I can cut all the foam before hand but I need to assemble the boat on the beach in two hours.

The rules state that I can't use "boat building material" What can I make a rudder out of? How can I attach it and any suggestions for a mast and sail?

Will gorilla glue set in time or should I use PL300? This is all about bragging rights and nothing more.

If anyone has a better idea I'm open to suggestions.

What about supplying the rules?

Could rudder be made of say 1/4" perspex?

Tarpaulin for sail

4" pvc pipe for mast

pe cut ( and test assemble) and then construct wit drywall screws and battery powered screwdrivers

delecta
05-21-2013, 06:16 AM
"All vessels are to be entirely constructed on the beach. They may be prefabricated prior to the event, but must be completely disassembled before coming to the beach. All persons constructing the vessel must be the vessel's sailing crew. No bystanderís assistance will be acceptable except in the operation of the launching and in vociferous encouragement. The crews are warned not to retaliate against other crews' or spectators' insults, but to attend to their work in a gentlemanly and ladylike manner. There will be no hurling of tools, materials, bottles or cans at any overly excited spectators who might have heavy bets on certain vessels. No manufactured items such as dinghies (inflatable or otherwise), surfboards, masts or sails may be used. Hull examples might be beer cans, auto bodies, bathtubs, trees, or an old worn-out sofa. Sails could be made of old sheets, old rugs, burlap bags, or your grandma's petticoats. Bystanders must not steal materials from crews they have no bets on."

Pretty much anything goes it seems.

Garret
05-21-2013, 07:30 AM
Bystanders must not steal materials from crews they have no bets on."

But they can steal materials if they have a bet on a boat? Seems one may need guards as well!

wizbang 13
05-21-2013, 03:35 PM
you can use trees , but not boat building materials

Canoeyawl
05-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Tires would work, tie one to each adult.