PDA

View Full Version : Old tv shows that seem to have been lost forever

John Smith
05-19-2013, 11:00 AM
There are a lot of old tv shows finding there way onto several cable channels; Barney Miller, All in the Family, Hopalong Cassidy, I Love Lucy, and a long list.

Some that I have not found

I married Joan
Sea Hunt
Man from Uncle
sugarfoot

Maybe we can put a list together and send it to some of these networks/channels and get them aired if they still exist to air.

Hunky Dory
05-19-2013, 11:21 AM
They were playing Sea Hunt at 5:30 am weekdays here last year after Highway Patrol. Now the have switched to Green Acres

tizziec
05-19-2013, 11:24 AM
No one ever brings back "Emergency" with John and Roy... grew up both watching it and playing it!!!! Still miss it :( Thought Emergency DOES have a facebook page, oddly

Full Tilt
05-19-2013, 11:35 AM
"I married Joan" and "Sugarfoot" never made it here, but in another thread you mentioned "Mighty Mouse".

Now that, I'd like to see again!

The Adventures of Mighty Mouse along with getting out the Lincoln Logs and finishing off the congealed chip dip, leftover from my parents entertaining the night before, was my Saturday morning ritual!

Mike:p

Jim Mahan
05-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Our local PBS station still plays the Lawrence Welk show on Saturdays at six in the evening.

SMARTINSEN
05-19-2013, 11:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqR2twY6fak

The ending is the best part...

Cuyahoga Chuck
05-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Some of the oldest were recorded on Kinescope and the reproduction might not be enjoyable to watch compared to modern standards.
Some series may be owned by companies or individuals that, for some reason, don't want their shows aired.

I get all you have mentioned on the ME channel and many seem corn-ball and not all that interesting. I only saw Barney Miller in reruns. I was working nights then. I liked it then and I still do. But "Lucy" is dated and stuff like The Partridge Family, The Monkies, Dragnet ( I can't get over how chinzy the sets are), Adam 12, Emergency, Dennis the Menace, Bachelor Father are a lot of eye-wash. Don't like All in the Family because it's continuosly confrontational but still like Sanford and Son because of it's light touch.
I'd love to see Hill Street Blues again and maybe Peter Gunn.
Some of the big productions like Roots, Shogun, and Rich Man Poor Man would be a welcome treat.

S.V. Airlie
05-19-2013, 12:19 PM
rintintin
jungle jim
lassie
lone ranger
sky king
car 54 where are you
original daniel boone with fess parker
father knows best
leave it to beaver
ozzie and hariet
my three sons
fort apache
lost in space
my favorite martian
bat masterson
the rifleman
rawhide

S.V. Airlie
05-19-2013, 12:26 PM
the mod squad
starsky and hutch
the munsters
hogan's heroes
mchale's navy
clutch cargo
the saint
charlie chan

nautiguy
05-19-2013, 12:28 PM
There is a website at http://www.archive.org that has a huge amount of public domain and old internet content.
As I understand it, the organization's mission is to save as much as possible. It archives radio, television, movie, and web content.
In fact, Karleen just found a 1960 Jack Nicholson flick called the "The Wild Ride"

Try it, you'll like it!

the_gr8t_waldo
05-19-2013, 12:32 PM
the "dobie gillis show"-spin off of " Love That Bob"

Jim Bow
05-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Remember a show called, "Cannonball." Claude Akins. As a kid I watched every episode and loved it.

A couple of weeks ago, I caught a bit of an episode on TVLand. Horrible, bad acting and insipid writing.

Wasn't there a show about a sailboat in the south seas? And another featuring a Grumman Goose?

Full Tilt
05-19-2013, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=S.V. Airlie;3797389]the mod squad
starsky and hutch
the munsters
hogan's heroes
mchale's navy
clutch cargo
_________________________________________ _________________

The only show that doesn't belong on this list is 'Clutch Cargo'.

Loved it as a kid, but it was animated!

Everything else was "live action".

Didn't you like "Felix the Cat"?

AAAAAAAaaah!! I've got it!! The lips were "live action" in Clutch Cargo, so it makes the list.

Remember that? Everything was animated except for an oval void where the mouths should be, which got filled with a filmed insert.

Mike:ycool:

ron ll
05-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Watched Sea Hunt last night, the one where they tangled with a monster whale ala Moby Dick. Most of the shows mentioned above have shown up in the last few years. One I haven't found is "Space 1999" ( I think). Starred Martin Landau and Barbara Bain at Moonbase Alpha.

Willin'
05-19-2013, 01:01 PM
A&E ran all the Northern Exposure reruns back around 2003 or so and they seemed as fresh, intelligent and slightly skewed as they did in the original early '90s run. I miss that show. I was hot for Maggie O'Connell.

htom
05-19-2013, 01:11 PM
No one ever brings back "Emergency" with John and Roy... grew up both watching it and playing it!!!! Still miss it :( Thought Emergency DOES have a facebook page, oddly

Here (Mpls/StP) on 5.3 or 5.4, subchannel called "MeTV"

Keith Wilson
05-19-2013, 01:13 PM
I remember watching Sea Hunt at my grandmother's house; we didn't have a TV at that point.

A couple of weeks ago, I caught a bit of an episode on TVLand. Horrible, bad acting and insipid writing.Man, does that ever resonate. When we finally did get a TV I watched a lot of Japanese Anime in the afternoon after school. Of course it was dubbed, and at the time I had no idea it was Japanese, but it was sci-fi, which I liked. One that I watched religiously was "8th Man", a B&W sort of superhero anime about a humanoid robot. A few years ago I remembered it for the first time since I was maybe 11, looked it up on the interwebs, and my God!! What a total piece of dreck!! Stupid plots, incredibly stupid characters, very low-budget art, and what must be the worst dub in history! Painful to watch, and embarrassing too. OTOH, I still have something of a taste for trashy science fiction. Maybe I haven't gotten that much more grown up.

http://i1.sell.com/6/89/422114/34/66/2274411-m.jpg

moTthediesel
05-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Remember a show called, "Cannonball." Claude Akins. As a kid I watched every episode and loved it.

A couple of weeks ago, I caught a bit of an episode on TVLand. Horrible, bad acting and insipid writing.

Wasn't there a show about a sailboat in the south seas? And another featuring a Grumman Goose?

Claude Akins' trucker show was called "Movin' On", he wasn't on "Cannonball", which was a Canadian-produced show. I guess it was terrible, but I liked it as a kid, and it had a great theme song which has stuck with me.. I would drive my boys crazy by singing it while rowing through the gears in my old Dodge Cummins truck...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=umvbqPUMoKg

By the way, those old GMC cab-overs were called "Cannonballs", hence the show's name.

ron ll
05-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Oops. What I watched last night wasn't Sea Hunt, but Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Sea hunt was Lloyd Bridges?

Flying Orca
05-19-2013, 01:21 PM
When we finally did get a TV I watched a lot of Japanese Anime in the afternoon after school. Of course it was dubbed, and at the time I had no idea it was Japanese, but it was sci-fi, which I liked. One that I watched religiously was "8th Man", a B&W sort of superhero anime about a humanoid robot. A few years ago i remembered it for the first time in since I was maybe 11, looked it up on the interwebs, and my God!! What a total piece of dreck!! Stupid plots, incredibly stupid characters, very low-budget art, and what must be the worst dub in history! Painful to watch, and embarrassing too. OTOH, I still have something of a taste for trashy science fiction. Maybe I haven't gotten that much more grown up.

Keith, that reminds me of one I used to see occasionally on the weekend when I was quite young (must have been, we were in St Andrews and had an old black and white TV that picked up Boston stations). The only shows I can remember watching were Get Smart, Zoom, Hockey Night in Canada, the Sunday evening ritual of The Beachcombers followed byWalt Disney Hour, and - the point of this reminiscence - an early Japanese import, Johnny
Sokko and his Flying Robot. I loved it, cheesy effects and recycled footage and all...

ccmanuals
05-19-2013, 01:25 PM
West Wing
Northern Exposure

Rum_Pirate
05-19-2013, 01:28 PM
DAKTARI

(include Clarence the cross-eyed lion and Judy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxdxk0RpBQg

MiddleAgesMan
05-19-2013, 01:51 PM
I just discovered the ME channel, way up high above 200 where I had never ventured. As others have stated they are showing a whole bunch of the old stuff. I caught an episode of The Fugitive, but wished I hadn't bothered. That old stuff is tired, poorly acted and filmed, and barely rates a blip on the horizon of television. Sort of like Gone with the Wind's position in the world of film. ;)

tizziec
05-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Here (Mpls/StP) on 5.3 or 5.4, subchannel called "MeTV"

:p No MeTV here

Gerarddm
05-19-2013, 02:25 PM
That Was The Week That Was
Wanted: Dead or Alive
Mr. Wizard

David W Pratt
05-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Crusader Rabbit
Zacherle

S.V. Airlie
05-19-2013, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=S.V. Airlie;3797389]the mod squad
starsky and hutch
the munsters
hogan's heroes
mchale's navy
clutch cargo
_________________________________________ _________________

The only show that doesn't belong on this list is 'Clutch Cargo'.

Loved it as a kid, but it was animated!

Everything else was "live action".

Didn't you like "Felix the Cat"?

AAAAAAAaaah!! I've got it!! The lips were "live action" in Clutch Cargo, so it makes the list.

Remember that? Everything was animated except for an oval void where the mouths should be, which got filled with a filmed insert.

Mike:ycool:
i know but had to throw it in.:)

green acres
petticoat junction
heehaw
how the west was won. narrated by rr. (20 mule team borax was the sponsor)

Willin'
05-19-2013, 03:47 PM
West Wing
Northern Exposure

I like your style, CC!

Willin'
05-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Crusader Rabbit
Zacherle

Oh God, Zacherle!!! Every once in a while when we were on vacation I was allowed to stay up late enough to watch him. Classic late night scary stuff. Cleveland had it's own Zacherle named Goulardi. Another campy classic.

skuthorp
05-19-2013, 03:58 PM
They haven't disappeared at all, the original transmissions are winging their way toward those other universes discussed elsewhere.:D

S.V. Airlie
05-19-2013, 04:01 PM
the twilight zone..original

htom
05-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Frank's Place (original music.)
WKRP (original music only.)
Danger Mouse
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Foley Square
Adderly
Hot Shots
Silk Stalkings
Tropical Heat

Willin'
05-19-2013, 04:07 PM
the twilight zone..original

The original cigarette smoking, Rod Serling narrated black and white episodes appear sporadically on the SyFy channel, usually early in the morning.

the_gr8t_waldo
05-19-2013, 04:27 PM
mr wizard, that's one i forgot..along with the buster brown show with andy devine

Bob Cleek
05-19-2013, 04:30 PM
A lot of those really great early shows are on youtube and Netflix.

This one was, and is, one of my all time favorites. Racist? NOT. Funny? Hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xhlofyvIXE&feature=player_detailpage

More: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=amos+and+andy+tv&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS476US476&q=amos+and+andy+tv+show+youtube&gs_l=hp..2.0l5.0.0.1.986171...........0.h2zbbbt1LL I

Full Tilt
05-19-2013, 04:39 PM
Remember the 'Super Marionette' shows like "Supercar" and "Thunderbirds"?

They were fantastic!

Mike|;)

Gerarddm
05-19-2013, 04:52 PM
How I loved Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Speaking of cartoons- two you won't see anymore are:

Samurai Jack
Aeon Flux

JayInOz
05-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Anyone remember "The travels of Jamie Mcpheeters"? I still whistle the tune occasionally. Or "Combat"?

A mate of mine uses sea hunt as a way to swear at people in mixed company. From some distance away he'll yell "It was Lloyd Bridges you were thinking of- Sea unt!!!" JayInOz

tizziec
05-19-2013, 05:47 PM
the Original Electric Company is a hard one to find :(

okawbow
05-19-2013, 06:09 PM
"Adventures In Paradise" South Pacific, 85 foot schooner, Polynesian girls; what more could there be on TV?

John Smith
05-19-2013, 06:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqR2twY6fak

The ending is the best part...

Remember Mr. Backwards?

John Smith
05-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Some of the oldest were recorded on Kinescope and the reproduction might not be enjoyable to watch compared to modern standards.
Some series may be owned by companies or individuals that, for some reason, don't want their shows aired.

I get all you have mentioned on the ME channel and many seem corn-ball and not all that interesting. I only saw Barney Miller in reruns. I was working nights then. I liked it then and I still do. But "Lucy" is dated and stuff like The Partridge Family, The Monkies, Dragnet ( I can't get over how chinzy the sets are), Adam 12, Emergency, Dennis the Menace, Bachelor Father are a lot of eye-wash. Don't like All in the Family because it's continuosly confrontational but still like Sanford and Son because of it's light touch.
I'd love to see Hill Street Blues again and maybe Peter Gunn.
Some of the big productions like Roots, Shogun, and Rich Man Poor Man would be a welcome treat.

There are a LOT of old shows that have found their way onto today's sets. Gidget and the Flying nun. I watch Adam 12 frequently. McHale's Navy is also on.

I'd like to see Topper

I Spy is on and it loses something over time.

Father Knows Best is still entertaining.

John Smith
05-19-2013, 06:24 PM
rintintin
jungle jim
lassie
lone rangerx
sky king
car 54 where are you
original daniel boone with fess parker
father knows bestx
leave it to beaverx
ozzie and hariet
my three sons
fort apache
lost in space
my favorite martian
bat masterson
the riflemanx
rawhidexx

Some of those are on. Put an x after ones I get. F troop, which this list made me think of I haven't seen

John Smith
05-19-2013, 06:25 PM
the mod squad
starsky and hutch
the munsters
hogan's heroes
mchale's navyx
clutch cargo
the saint
charlie chan

one I get.

John Smith
05-19-2013, 06:30 PM
How about the Life of Riley or Make Room for Daddy?

willmarsh3
05-20-2013, 10:41 AM
SWMBO watches some of these on a TVLand website. I watch Dragnet and Emergency! on Netflix. I watched Gilligan's Island once on the web - I forget where - maybe Hulu. Good chance to catch up with Sea Hunt which I never really got to see growing up. It's amazing to me how they coped with lack of technology e.g. Sgt Friday "May I borrow your phone". The more recent Australian "Sea Patrol" is fun to watch sometimes on Youtube.

ron ll
05-20-2013, 10:52 AM
There were also some game shows and variety shows that are now on YouTube where you can see old clips of famous people. What's My Line has clips of Salvador Dali, Frank Lloyd Wright, Eleanor Roosevelt, Carl Sandburg, among others. And last night I watched Willy Nelson and Waylon Jennings both with short hair and a suits and ties on the Porter Wagoner show.

PhaseLockedLoop
05-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Yancy Derringer and Pahoo

The Gentleman Sawyer
05-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Captain Kangaroo
Twelve O'clock High
The Rat Patrol
Ripcord

Ken

Hugh Conway
05-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Not sure if they are lost, just buried.

The Prisoner
Tales of the Gold Monkey

ccmanuals
05-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Always a big fan of Combat and The Gallant Men.

S.V. Airlie
05-20-2013, 07:14 PM
desert rats

wizbang 13
05-20-2013, 11:02 PM
underdog

John Smith
05-21-2013, 10:27 AM
What is also interesting, aside from technology changing, is how some of the old shows hold up so well and some don't.

I found Father Knows Best great fun, still.