PDA

View Full Version : Keep Calm and Carry On

Jim Bow
05-18-2013, 11:52 AM
"Keep Calm and Carry On" is an iconic phrase printed on thousands of posters in the UK during the war.

It was forgotten until a cache of posters was found in 2000. Reprints now appear on everything from T-shirts to tea cups.

Now, somebody has trademarked the phrase and precludes anyone but him to use it on any objects for sale.

Damn his capitalistic hide.

Shouldn't the rights have stayed with the govt?

Can I trademark, "Have a nice day?"

Full Tilt
05-18-2013, 12:34 PM
I remember getting interrogated by my Dad when I pinned a poster I'd made to my bedroom wall that said " Just do it".

Could have made a bundle selling it to Nike.

Mike|:(

bogdog
05-18-2013, 12:40 PM
"Keep Calm and Carry On" is an iconic phrase printed on thousands of posters in the UK during the war.

It was forgotten until a cache of posters was found in 2000. Reprints now appear on everything from T-shirts to tea cups.

Now, somebody has trademarked the phrase and precludes anyone but him to use it on any objects for sale.

Damn his capitalistic hide.

Shouldn't the rights have stayed with the govt?

Can I trademark, "Have a nice day?"

Now, now stay calm, the trademark claim has not been recognized and likely will not be recognized so, carry on. Thank you and have a nice day.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-18-2013, 12:48 PM
The trademark claim was booted into touch in the UK, and I doubt it will stick elsewhere.

I have very strong feelings about that poster.

A few days after his mother walked out, I had to take Charles, then 8, to a business meeting in London owing to lack of carer, and we killed time beforehand by walking round HMS Belfast. He spent his pocket money on a Keep Calm and Carry On poster for me. For Christmas I got a Keep Calm and Carry On mug.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/Keep-calm-and-carry-on-scan.jpg

Nicholas Carey
05-18-2013, 01:11 PM
The trademark claim was booted into touch in the UK, and I doubt it will stick elsewhere.

I have very strong feelings about that poster.

A few days after his mother walked out, I had to take Charles, then 8, to a business meeting in London owing to lack of carer, and we killed time beforehand by walking round HMS Belfast. He spent his pocket money on a Keep Calm and Carry On poster for me. For Christmas I got a Keep Calm and Carry On mug.

Wouldn't Her Majesty's government have copyright on it, along with rights on derivative works? The MOD published it, "fixed in tangible form" during the war, even if it was never used. I'm pret user that that would trump any new trademark claim.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Wouldn't Her Majesty's government have copyright on it, along with rights on derivative works? The MOD published it, "fixed in tangible form" during the war, even if it was never used. I'm pret user that that would trump any new trademark claim.

In Britain, yes.

Phillip Allen
05-18-2013, 01:43 PM
I contend that all that 'war stuff' is public domain... however, the guy's intent is clear enough... larceny is everywhere

Phillip Allen
05-18-2013, 01:45 PM
may as well copywright 'Blitz' to the Italian that coined it

Full Tilt
05-18-2013, 02:10 PM

_____________________________ _____________________

Probably a resident of the little Italian city of Guernica.

Full Tilt
05-22-2013, 06:30 PM

__________________________________________________ ___ _________________________

Humour?

bamamick
05-23-2013, 07:28 AM
I like the 'Firefly' version: Keep Calm and Stay Shiny!

I think that there are literally hundreds of versions of that phrase now. I even own a shirt one of my kids gave me, and it says 'Sail Fast and Live Slow'. That's a nice mantra, I think, but honestly, I think that the original is the best.

Mickey Lake

varadero
05-23-2013, 07:33 AM
_____________________________ _____________________

Probably a resident of the little Italian city of Guernica.

Dear Mr. Tilt, please do not confuse your European nations. We joke here that the U.S. teaches geography by bombing capaign, but that is no excuse to confuse Spain with Italy just because the Germans were in fact the guys that dropped the bombs

Ian McColgin
05-23-2013, 07:40 AM
varadero, it was Phillip and let us agree he was being ironic. Please let us agree before he explains it.

Full Tilt
05-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Dear Mr. Tilt, please do not confuse your European nations. We joke here that the U.S. teaches geography by bombing capaign, but that is no excuse to confuse Spain with Italy just because the Germans were in fact the guys that dropped the bombs

_______________________________ _________________

You Venezuelans sure are tetchy!

Mike:d

Captain Intrepid
05-23-2013, 09:19 AM
I like the 'Firefly' version: Keep Calm and Stay Shiny!

I thought it was "Keep calm and bring grenades." :D

bogdog
05-23-2013, 09:45 AM
I thought it was Keep Calm and Carry On but Mind the Gap...

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-23-2013, 09:55 AM
The original version, popularised by the late Oliver Cromwell, was@

Praise God and keep your powder dry

John of Phoenix
05-23-2013, 10:09 AM
A few days after his mother walked out, I had to take Charles, then 8, to a business meeting in London owing to lack of carer, and we killed time beforehand by walking round HMS Belfast. He spent his pocket money on a Keep Calm and Carry On poster for me. For Christmas I got a Keep Calm and Carry On mug.Well done Master Charles.

bogdog
05-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Gen. Wolfe on the Plains of Abraham:

"Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes"

Jim Bow
05-23-2013, 10:11 AM
And Frank Loesser brought up to speed with "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition".

Rum_Pirate
05-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Confederate sharpshooters were about 1,000 yards away and their shots caused members of his staff and artillerymen to duck for cover.

Major General John Sedgwick strode around in the open and was quoted as saying,

"What? Men dodging this way for single bullets? What will you do when they open fire along the whole line?"

Although ashamed, his men continued to flinch and he repeated,

"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Just seconds later he fell forward with a bullet hole below his left eye.

AndyG
05-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Lord Uxbridge, at Waterloo, following a cannon ball hit:

"By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"

Duke of Wellington, upon seeing this:

"By God, sir, so you have!"

Or so the story goes.

Andy

bogdog
05-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Two of my ancestors fought in the Provisional Rifle Corps. During the Battle of Saratoga one of them said to the other, "Ich schoss ihn!" or something like that.

J P
05-23-2013, 02:28 PM
A few years ago a wealthy out-a-stater tried to trademark "The Last Best Place". The phrase was originally created as the title of an anthology of Montana writers and has since been in popular use as a description of the state. Fortunately, the Governor and Congress-critters got riled up and eventually managed to get something written into law that prevented trademark of the term.