PDA

View Full Version : new saddle... a bit blurry

Phillip Allen
05-18-2013, 09:09 AM
sorry it took me so long... couldn't find cable for camera

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q196/phillipdallen/Colorado083_zps33062f61.jpg (http://s136.photobucket.com/user/phillipdallen/media/Colorado083_zps33062f61.jpg.html)

The Bigfella
05-18-2013, 09:19 AM
That tyre looks bald

Peerie Maa
05-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Yup, that's a saddle.

C. Ross
05-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Nice ride.
Do you usually put the reins around or over the top of the cab?

Phillip Allen
05-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Nice ride.

no comment on which way the saddle is pointing?

Phillip Allen
05-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Nice ride.

further... since it's not sitting amidships... it follows that it is a side saddle...

C. Ross
05-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Nice, Phillip!

Bobby of Tulsa
05-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Phillip, somebody done stole the dang horn offen your saddle, and from the looks of it your horse too.:)

S.V. Airlie
05-18-2013, 11:08 AM
That tyre looks baldbut, it's only flat on the bottom.:)

Bobby of Tulsa
05-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Come on Phillip, Talk about that saddle, where the heck you gonna carry a rifle on that thing, and is your tire really bald?

Ian McColgin
05-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Yep, Australian stock saddle. For a place that has so many excellent riders - just watch either of "The Man From Snowy River" for some of the best filmed cross country riding scenes ever and think of that many top riders in one place and by the way the ones that look clumsiest are actually doing the hardest stunts - I never got why they like those thigh braces. It is great for a straight legged stick to the saddle riding style.

Phillip Allen
05-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Yep, Australian stock saddle. For a place that has so many excellent riders - just watch either of "The Man From Snowy River" for some of the best filmed cross country riding scenes ever and think of that many top riders in one place and by the way the ones that look clumsiest are actually doing the hardest stunts - I never got why they like those thigh braces. It is great for a straight legged stick to the saddle riding style.

I always looked as 'posting' as a bit silly

Phillip Allen
05-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Come on Phillip, Talk about that saddle, where the heck you gonna carry a rifle on that thing, and is your tire really bald?

I've never carried a rifle while riding... except, mountain man style

Canoeyawl
05-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Is that a Blazer with a saddle?

Phillip Allen
05-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Is that a Blazer with a saddle?

no...

Larks
05-18-2013, 05:52 PM
looks like a little Marshall Poley or Kimberley Poley saddle Philip.

Phillip Allen
05-18-2013, 06:02 PM
looks like a little Marshall Poley or Kimberley Poley saddle Philip.

don't mean anything to me... ? It looks comfortable, doesn't weigh much and it was cheap

Larks
05-18-2013, 06:21 PM
don't mean anything to me... ? It looks comfortable, doesn't weigh much and it was cheap

The "Poley" refer's to the thigh pads (ie they are called poleys), and which are probably the most synonymous part of the Aussie stock saddle. There are quite a few different configurations of stock saddles with the poleys, more types than I know of anyway, many named from the areas where they seem to have been developed, the best/most comfortable and useable one that I ever owned (for me anyway) was a Barcoo Poley, then there are Tableland Poley's, Kimberley Poley, Marshall Poley, Ord River Poley, Junior Poley and so on....

Ian McColgin
05-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Not sure what the no posting remark means. There are gaited horses like walkers that can move at trotting speed so smoothly you can sit and the gait is not a trot. And there are horses with such a slow smooth canter that you can sit. But a trot is an incredibly efficient way for the horse to cover ground without over-tiring and something resembling posting both lets the horse move efficiently and keeps the rider's spine from damage. Many improperly schooled riders post too high and that is silly. On a smooth horse at moderate trotting speed the posting is more like a rhythm and you don't actually see any space between the rider's seat and the saddle, so the unobservant might think that's no posting. There's nothing about a straight legged riding style whether western, australian, dressage, or cavelry that prevents the rider from being in harmony with a trotting horse.

Phillip Allen
05-18-2013, 11:37 PM
Not sure what the no posting remark means. There are gaited horses like walkers that can move at trotting speed so smoothly you can sit and the gait is not a trot. And there are horses with such a slow smooth canter that you can sit. But a trot is an incredibly efficient way for the horse to cover ground without over-tiring and something resembling posting both lets the horse move efficiently and keeps the rider's spine from damage. Many improperly schooled riders post too high and that is silly. On a smooth horse at moderate trotting speed the posting is more like a rhythm and you don't actually see any space between the rider's seat and the saddle, so the unobservant might think that's no posting. There's nothing about a straight legged riding style whether western, australian, dressage, or cavelry that prevents the rider from being in harmony with a trotting horse.

thanks for the lecture... I wish we could do a bit of a trail ride sometime... I"d pick your brain and have a good time

purri
05-19-2013, 04:11 AM
Yep, depends on the gait of the mount and how you "fit". The taller the rider the bigger the horse but at some point on an extended trot you need to post. Deeper gulleted saddles let a rider disguise the post and many novices attempt to ride without understanding that as a horse moves in two modes (sinuous) your upper body/torso should move independently of your pelvis and legs.

Peter K
05-19-2013, 04:16 AM
Phillip, that saddle looks good to me.
Push a horse hard down a hill, or stop hard and you will find out what those thigh pads are about.
Aussie stock saddles are good all round rough use gear - the low seat with girth over make them secure. I dont know about western gear but I've given similar saddles a hard life with confidence.