PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding Sandy Hook school?

John Smith
05-17-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm somewhat puzzled by the extreme idea of knocking this school down and building a new one. I realize those going to that school lived through a traumatic event, but the students will soon move on to another school anyway, and where do they go while this school is being replaced?

Is this really necessary?

Thoughts?

Phillip Allen
05-17-2013, 05:48 PM
maybe it’s an opportunistic chance to get something that wouldn't have been funded otherwise... ? Pretty standard for manipulative systems.

SMARTINSEN
05-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Newtown CT is a fairly affluent community, and they can afford it. I think that is meet and proper.

Waddie
05-17-2013, 05:59 PM
It might be just a little traumatizing to send your younger children to the same classroom where you oldest child was murdered. Maybe just a little unnerving, but then again, I'm no expert. Maybe just throw a coat of paint on it to hide the blood stains and call it good.........

I'm sure it isn't any problem for the teachers and staff to continue teaching in that particular set of rooms......

regards,
Waddie

hokiefan
05-17-2013, 06:01 PM
maybe it’s an opportunistic chance to get something that wouldn't have been funded otherwise... ? Pretty standard for manipulative systems.

Pretty sick.

Phillip Allen
05-17-2013, 06:33 PM
In my opinion, the school should remain as a "live" memorial to what happened.
In much the same way, Mr. Allen's remarks should be saved as a reminder to him as to why he receives so much animosity on this forum.

the truth hurts ... sometimes

Phillip Allen
05-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Pretty sick.

do you think we would have the Patriot Act without the 9/11 attack?

Figment
05-17-2013, 06:40 PM
. and where do they go while this school is being replaced?

Is this really necessary?

Thoughts?

A neighboring town happened to have just finished mothballing a school building that was no longer needed (check the demographics, this will soon become a somewhat common thing in many areas) so the Newtown kids have a school to use in the interim.

Necessary or not, it certainly seems like the right thing to do.

Mrleft8
05-17-2013, 07:23 PM
This is the same school of ...... I hesitate to call it thought...... But..... Thought that proposed removing September 11th from the calendar..... And changing the national emergency call number from 911, to anything else......
It's a building. People die in hospitals every day. We don't tear down hospitals because people died.
People die in schools all the time. A janitor died in his office when I was a kid in grade school. Yeah, sure, he died of a heart attack or something....
It's just stupid to think that tearing down the school is any sort of rational action.....

Flying Orca
05-17-2013, 07:30 PM
I don't mean to downplay genuine PTSD, but I think there's been a shift toward extreme emotional overreaction, and I think it's largely driven by media and well-meaning administrators of various stripes. Maybe I'm less sensitive than some, but I just don't get the need to rush an army of counsellors to everyone who might have talked to someone who saw a TV news report about a traumatic event. There's a diminished expectation of resiliency.

Mrleft8
05-17-2013, 07:42 PM
i don't mean to downplay genuine ptsd, but i think there's been a shift toward extreme emotional overreaction, and i think it's largely driven by media and well-meaning administrators of various stripes. Maybe i'm less sensitive than some, but i just don't get the need to rush an army of counsellors to everyone who might have talked to someone who saw a tv news report about a traumatic event. There's a diminished expectation of resiliency.
^x100

hokiefan
05-17-2013, 08:14 PM
do you think we would have the Patriot Act without the 9/11 attack?

???

Your logic completely escapes me.

Phillip Allen
05-17-2013, 08:23 PM
???

Your logic completely escapes me.

it's patently obvious to me... I'm talking about opportunistic politicians... still having trouble?

I really am surprised that anyone here needs to have it explained!

Phillip Allen
05-17-2013, 08:24 PM
I don't mean to downplay genuine PTSD, but I think there's been a shift toward extreme emotional overreaction, and I think it's largely driven by media and well-meaning administrators of various stripes. Maybe I'm less sensitive than some, but I just don't get the need to rush an army of counsellors to everyone who might have talked to someone who saw a TV news report about a traumatic event. There's a diminished expectation of resiliency.

I don't think 'sensitive' is the correct word... it's 'conditioned'

Flying Orca
05-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Some unusual connections come out of Phillip's Anything Box...

Flying Orca
05-17-2013, 08:25 PM
I don't think 'sensitive' is the correct word... it's 'conditioned'

As unusual as it is for us to agree, I think you're right about that.

John Smith
05-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Newtown CT is a fairly affluent community, and they can afford it. I think that is meet and proper.

I believe they are looking for federal funds for this project. If the community uses it's own funds, it is the community's own business. If federal money is used, I'd rather see that money go toward rebuilding something destroyed by Sandy.

John Smith
05-18-2013, 08:46 AM
It might be just a little traumatizing to send your younger children to the same classroom where you oldest child was murdered. Maybe just a little unnerving, but then again, I'm no expert. Maybe just throw a coat of paint on it to hide the blood stains and call it good.........

I'm sure it isn't any problem for the teachers and staff to continue teaching in that particular set of rooms......

regards,
Waddie

Let's assume it is traumatic for some of the children. Where are they going to school while this school isn't available? The "window" of kids for whom this would be traumatic is small, as they will grow out of this school.

I think kids are more resilient than you give them credit for.

John Smith
05-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Tell that to the 20 parents that lost a 6 or 7 year old child. Tell that to the 6 moms or dads or brothers or sisters or husbands that lost a loved one.

Opportunistic! Somebody really ought to step back and take look in the mirror, because this is beyond the pale, to even make such an assertion, beyond sick is more likely. Bah!

Knocking this building down and building a new one will not bring the dead back. It would be cheaper to fund those children going to a different school until they graduate out of this one.

John Smith
05-18-2013, 08:58 AM
When we had the murder in "STATION A" in '93, one reaction was to look for a different store to lease. I was the Union rep, and none of our employees had a problem working in the station where the murder had occurred. Customers seemed to have no problem, as the same ones who came there before the murder came there after.

Management, at some level, saw a problem that didn't really exist and a year or so later moved the station to another store a short distance away. Employees no longer had a place to park, which they complained to me about, but there wasn't anything I could do. Customer parking was also a problem.

That wasn't quite the same as this. It is similar. While we all remember that event, it becomes dimmer and dimmer surprisingly quickly. I went to the 10 year memorial, and whole bunch of employees who knew the window clerks who got killed had retired. By now they're all retired.

Mrleft8
05-18-2013, 09:04 AM
I doubt if it's a funding issue so much as it is a hysteria issue.
The idea of bulldozing the building is a sort of head in the sand reaction "If I can't see the building, it didn't happen", or somehow the grief will be lessened. If that's true, then we have become an exceptionally shallow society.
Better, IMHOP, to keep the building, and use it not only as a school (As it was intended to be) but as a memorial, and a symbol of strength.

John Smith
05-18-2013, 09:11 AM
I doubt if it's a funding issue so much as it is a hysteria issue.
The idea of bulldozing the building is a sort of head in the sand reaction "If I can't see the building, it didn't happen", or somehow the grief will be lessened. If that's true, then we have become an exceptionally shallow society.
Better, IMHOP, to keep the building, and use it not only as a school (As it was intended to be) but as a memorial, and a symbol of strength.

I agree. Knee Jerk reaction. Furthermore, I believe such a reaction is apt to encourage more nuts to shoot up schools.

Phillip Allen
05-18-2013, 09:15 AM
it confirms my low opinion of people who base their political decisions on emotional REaction instead of common sense

Flying Orca
05-18-2013, 09:24 AM
...to all of which I would only add this: it trains another generation AND all those looking on via television to expect and even normalize such overreactions.

Phillip Allen
05-18-2013, 09:27 AM
...to all of which I would only add this: it trains another generation AND all those looking on via television to expect and even normalize such overreactions.

agreed

Jim Bow
05-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Hmmm ... between the first post and the last, my mind completely changed.
Perhaps moving a few walls, re-designing a hallway or two would be enough. I believe that's what they did at Columbine.
Signifying loss by change seems better than by destruction.

John Smith
05-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Hmmm ... between the first post and the last, my mind completely changed.
Perhaps moving a few walls, re-designing a hallway or two would be enough. I believe that's what they did at Columbine.
Signifying loss by change seems better than by destruction.

Maybe change some paint colors?