PDA

View Full Version : Keel wheel

capefox
05-13-2013, 11:15 AM
One of the things I like about our plastic 10-foot dinghy is a little wheel in the skeg you can use to shunt the boat from the launch ramp to the trailer. Sometimes on Saturday's it's nice to walk the boat from the trailer past the long waiting line of trucks and trailers and just launch at the edge of the ramp. I'm thinking about installing a coaster wheel in the skeg of the 15-ft Argie 15 I'm building. Can anyone suggest a suitable component/source for the wheel and other components I will need?

J.Madison
05-13-2013, 11:56 AM
I've used wheelbarrow and garden tractor wheels from the big box store with success. This only works if the boat will live on the trailer. For something a little more long lasting in the marine environment look up the dollies used by one design sailing clubs to launch their fleets. You can buy replacement wheels from them with plastic hubs etc..

Chip Chester
05-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Harbor Freight has white plastic non-pneumatic 8" wheels I use on a heavily-loaded equipment cart with good success. Plus since there's "Harbor" in the name, it's all good!

Hardware for removable rudder could be stout enough for a wheel mount.

Oars could be slid into pockets or straps to allow them to be used as wheelbarrow-like handles.

Chip

Breakaway
05-13-2013, 12:39 PM
I have been using a homemade dinghy cart made with salvaged kids bike wheels in salt water for a number of years. The rims and spokes dont look pretty anymore due to the rust, but they are far, far from disintegrating. Just saying that wheel sourcing could be as easy as the local tip/dump or a prowl of your neighborhood on heavy trash day.

Kevin