PDA

View Full Version : Linseed Oil and Varnish compatability?

SailingTugs
05-10-2013, 01:54 AM
Hello all, Does anyone know if applying Epifanes or any other varnish over a boiled linseed oil base is a good idea or a disaster? In the past on work boat grade projects I have used a hot coat of boiled linseed oil and a few days of drying as a base coat for Kirby and other oil based paints. Have not yet tried with anything like Interlux Brightside Polyurathane, but oil base paints seem to work fine. Either way, has anyone tried this? How does it look and are there any longevity issues? Regards, Bryan.

Peerie Maa
05-10-2013, 02:42 AM
Check with the paint manufacturer, their technical department will advise. Older polyurethanes were not compatible with oil, even the residue of oil based paint would prevent good adhesion, but they may be improved now.

Thorne
05-10-2013, 08:50 AM
So far I've had good luck with Rustoleum oil-based marine varnish and some Le Tonk over BLO, but that's only on small boats that are stored covered.

David G
05-10-2013, 09:32 AM
I would have no hesitation about applying a traditional spar varnish over a dried base of BLO. If you start thinking about other sorts of varnish formulations, then I'd be speeding a query to the tech folks.

Hugh Conway
05-10-2013, 11:04 AM
No issues with applying Epifanes over BLO ime.

skaraborgcraft
05-10-2013, 03:17 PM
I have used Epifanes rapid coat and clear over BLO. Epi clear has a base of Tung oil so is very compaitable. What type of epifanes was you considering to use is the important question?

Jonathan Burke
05-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Hit up the old Tonk. its linseed based, so (in theory) you will get the best adhesion to the boiled linseed. I've never tried this by the way, I use it over raw linseed on a regular basis with really good results. Someone else may have experience to the contrary.

Arizona Bay
05-11-2013, 07:54 PM
I've used BLO to wet sand a couple sets of oars, and some small spars before varnishing with Interlux Schooner. Makes it very smooth, and the varnish seemed to go on better than on some unprepared wood. No adhesion issues.

Matt Billey
05-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Hi,

Claude Worth, in "Yacht Cruising", talks about building a small dinghy, soaking in with linseed oil, so much so that the planking becomes translucent. Then he varnishes it after the linseed dries.

Matt