PDA

View Full Version : Book about sailboat hardware?

ScottyK
05-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Can anyone recommend a book that details outfitting a sailboat with necessary hardware?
Something that describes various hardware (blocks, cleats, etc) with their various sizes and what sizes are necessary.
What pieces are needed for various size boats, how best to set them up, where best to place them.
I own 'The Riggers' Apprentice', but doesn't really cover what I am looking for.
I am just finishing an 8 ft dinghy and planning on continuing with this building fever I suffer from. Moving on to a 16 ft sailing canoe and them a 24 ft sharpie. So I think it would be a good investment.
My sailing experience is a 16 ft cat some 25 years ago and more recently my father-in-law's 40 ft Sun Fizz.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.

Thorne
05-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Never heard of such a thing, and it would run to several volumes to cover all known designs. I think that most folks work out this bit on their own, often by copying other similar rigs. But with nearly everything but one-design racers being fairly different, it becomes more of an art than a science and is then changed by gradual improvements as the boat is sailed.

The Nichols book on trad sail rigs might help, although it doesn't cover everything and uses a few (by WB Forum standards) vague / incomplete terms.

http://www.woodenboatstore.com/images/uploads/Working_Guide_To_Traditional_Small_Boat_Sails_3007 05P.jpg
http://www.woodenboatstore.com/product/book_The_Working_Guide_to_Traditional_Small_Boat_S ails

ScottyK
05-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Thanks Thorne,
I have read your comments on other threads and appreciate your reply.
I have this book also (as well as some 40 others), I am an avid reader of both books and web sites. And a fairly accomplished do it yourselfer.
I guess I am looking for something more encyclopedic. I see so many size blocks for example with various attachments and was hoping for an academic discussion of various hardware pieces. Another example would be at what size boat would one upgrade from a simple painter to one of those cleats or posts on the foredeck which transfer the force to the hull. These are the questions that arise as I design and plan the boats I am working on.
I am not against trial and error by any means. But thought I could expand my knowledge base before starting the experimentation.
Thanks again.

Bob Cleek
05-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Most complete plans sets should include a "rigging schedule" with the lengths, diameters and material for all standing and running rigging and the sizes and types of all blocks and other rigging jewelry. Beyond that, you just have to go "by eye" and by the strength ratings of the parts you are dealing with. Actually, most rigging is rated at breaking loads far beyond what it will ever experience.

ScottyK
05-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks Bob
Not really working from complete plans. I am endeavoring to design and build my own. I am studying and starting from proven designs and then going from there.
I have read many books on designing and building and have a lot of experience in woodworking, having restored several old homes and even rebuilt one. I do all the carpentry and finish millwork myself. But after this last house restoration I decided to give that a rest and I'm building boats with my 12 year old son who races Open Bics competitively and will be competing at the World Open in Italy this year.
Thanks again, maybe I will post some pictures soon of the dinghy and seek advise specific to that design.