PDA

View Full Version : Yacht "Ost"("East")

peiratviktor
05-09-2013, 03:55 AM
Hi There!
I`m from Russia, St. Petersburg, and i want to tell you about my Yacht.
This winter, my friend and I gave the old boat. The old captain had died, and his heirs did not want rotten boat on the shore.
It's called the "Ost" (East). The yacht was built in 1938 in Tallinn.It was built as a yawl. Germans stole a boat in the beginning of the second world war. After the victory, the boat moved to St. Petersburg.
Currently boat needs to complete repair. The previous owner started to repair, but did not finished. The yacht has disassembled keel. Stem is in need of plywood.(Sorry if I explain bad, I use Google.) The boards are strong, no rot.
We have a full set of mast to the boat and sail ~20 different units, including cotton.

Photos inside the boat I'll do later (not enough time).

It remains only to put in a little effort and money. I would be very grateful for any advice.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-aNanhiWpX-k/UYkZHUUj-MI/AAAAAAAAAuk/xeDOFFhKBns/w1320-h821-no/OST.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6XVJU2Ntt9Y/UYkZpMn6AMI/AAAAAAAAAuw/RyqlMM9d_IE/w1226-h821-no/DSC_8959.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-MsDyhfiFb5I/UYkZsr5l_AI/AAAAAAAAAvA/xaJPL5abtJA/w1226-h821-no/DSC_8961.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6VZX77yrY4I/UYkafoWaqWI/AAAAAAAAAvY/Hixc74iN-4I/w1226-h821-no/DSC_8964.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8bfJkEXqI5s/UYkhT-3K2kI/AAAAAAAAAv4/21tqCxUnsU0/w1129-h821-no/2+%25281%2529.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ov2QYQwydv4/UYkhVJ84tzI/AAAAAAAAAwA/s2g1VHX11wk/w1129-h821-no/Izobrazhenie+%25281%2529.jpg

Portland
05-09-2013, 04:13 AM
An interesting looking boat , but it looks a lot of work !.
I'm looking forward to seeing how you go about it.
Regards Rob Johnson

Thad
05-09-2013, 05:58 AM
Looks like a fine little vessel! The iron keel bolts and signs of iron fasteners suggest your problems, other than the need to get needed timber. Stay away from plywood and find the proper timber. The stem to keel connection seems to have been removed. Hopefully you have the pieces for patterns. Good luck! The problem with iron fasteners is that they rust and rot the wood around them.

Larks
05-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the recovery. It really looks like a lot of work, but I've seen other boats in much worse shape now beautifully restored.

With her history and provenance (происхождение ?) she certainly seems to be worthy of your attention and efforts and I look forward to seeing more of your posts here so that we can watch and possibly help you bring her back to her former glory.

Добро пожаловать на форум и удачи в восстановлении. Это действительно выглядит как много работы, но я видел другие лодки в намного худшем состоянии теперь красиво восстановлено.
С ее историей и происхождением она, конечно, кажется, достойна вашего внимания и усилий, и я с нетерпением ждем больше ваших сообщений здесь, так что мы можем наблюдать и помочь вам вернуть ее к ее былую славу.

( I will be interested to hear how good this Google translation is Мне будет интересно услышать, насколько хорошо это перевод Google )

Portland
05-09-2013, 06:25 AM
Google can be a real embarrassment at times Greg , but worth the try , at times like these.
Rob J.

peiratviktor
05-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the recovery. It really looks like a lot of work, but I've seen other boats in much worse shape now beautifully restored.

With her history and provenance (происхождение ?) she certainly seems to be worthy of your attention and efforts and I look forward to seeing more of your posts here so that we can watch and possibly help you bring her back to her former glory.

Добро пожаловать на форум и удачи в восстановлении. Это действительно выглядит как много работы, но я видел другие лодки в намного худшем состоянии теперь красиво восстановлено.
С ее историей и происхождением она, конечно, кажется, достойна вашего внимания и усилий, и я с нетерпением ждем больше ваших сообщений здесь, так что мы можем наблюдать и помочь вам вернуть ее к ее былую славу.

( I will be interested to hear how good this Google translation is Мне будет интересно услышать, насколько хорошо это перевод Google )

Thanks! Google translate very understandable.

Ian McColgin
05-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Welcome to this world where otherwise sane people spend amazing amounts of time, energy and money to restore or build or keep up with something of no productive economic value, but of nearly infinite spiritual value. Good boat.

peiratviktor
05-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Looks like a fine little vessel! The iron keel bolts and signs of iron fasteners suggest your problems, other than the need to get needed timber. Stay away from plywood and find the proper timber. The stem to keel connection seems to have been removed. Hopefully you have the pieces for patterns. Good luck! The problem with iron fasteners is that they rust and rot the wood around them.

Thanks! I am very grateful for your remarks! We know, we should to remove iron studs (bolts) and replace it with inox screw ( studs from stainless steel). It may be a problem to extract from false keel, but without this, work will be in vain.
We have a metal floor(now they dismantled), they will give us a level to set the keel. This vessel don`t have plywood at all, You probably misunderstood me, I said that the stem should be glued again, he went to the glued seam, because the top mount gave the bowsprit and he hung on the stem.

We have a great dilemma about winches. We have two original. But work only one, and we haven`t handle for this winches. Do you have any ideas what to do?

And we don`t have any drawings. I tried to find on the Internet some information about the designer, but all in vain. Designer name is Paul Pinaevich Butte, Tallinn sports shipyard.

peiratviktor
05-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Welcome to this world where otherwise sane people spend amazing amounts of time, energy and money to restore or build or keep up with something of no productive economic value, but of nearly infinite spiritual value. Good boat.
My friend and I have another two years restoring a wooden yacht (she really less interesting, as well as there are some circumstances that do not allow me to talk about it), and I was filled with this mood :)
Today I helped another friend to abrade his fiberglass boat (9 meters). He could not understand why I spend too much time wooden fendering which plays the role of the fender. Then I reminded him about my boats.

Ian McColgin
05-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Post pictures of the winches. In general winches are quite simple mechanically is it's usually quite easy to fix what's wrong. And making a new handle for a winch is also generally simple.

When you say that a winch does not work, you could mean that it's frozen - the drum cannot turn at all - or you might mean that it turns without restraint in both directions. Either way, you'll start by tearing it down. The first step to that is figuring out how to get the drum off. Winches with handles that have a male end that goes into a fitted hole in the top of the winch usually have a slip ring in that hole that releases all. Other winches have a screwed on cap, whether top handle or bottom handle.

There's enough variation - especially since a Russian made yacht may have some unique (to our eyes) hardward - that close-up pictures of the winches really will help.

G'luck

peiratviktor
05-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Post pictures of the winches.
G'luck
OK i would like to go to the boat today, and i`ll make any photos

And what to do with seams? They was caulked with hemp rope. I know definitely where to take hemp rope, but there may be more advanced technology, i hope....

Ian McColgin
05-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Proper caulking, whether with hemp or cotton, is an art to itself. You are a long way from there. For now, reef out the seams if there's anything left in there and be sure the plank edges are primed with something. We use red lead but really any traditional primer (a paint, not an oil) will do.

The carvel planked hull is a surface compression structure. That is, once properly caulked and the planks swelled after launching each plank supports and is supported by its neighbors. If you have a soft squishy contact, like filling the seams with some rubber goop, then the planks will wiggle about against the fastenings as you sail along and the whole shape of the boat will twist more and more under rig and sail loads that are translated into the hull. That's why you need to let her swell up after launching and before rigging. A boat as on-shore dried out as yours might benefit by some pre-swelling by irrigating her from the inside - hoses spraying, maybe some burlap to slow water flow down along the inside of the topsides - for a week or two before attempting to caulk. Even at that, she'll likely have more swelling to go. When you're ready to caulk we can get into all this. As I say, next year. Maybe.

G'luck

peiratviktor
05-09-2013, 05:33 PM
About the fact that the boat has to bulk up before using I know. We practiced descent boats aground, allow them to sink even slightly. Our neighbors, the boat Mars, drowned at the pier last year, but the quality is very bulked up.

http://cs9640.vk.me/u4802933/136345499/z_c2f79d46.jpg

simonmags
05-12-2013, 09:38 PM
This looks like it will be a very interesting story about the rebuilding of your boat. I hope it goes very well for you and look forward to seeing many many pictures of it all. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Cheers

Это похоже, что это будет очень интересная история о восстановлении вашего судна. Я надеюсь, что он идет очень хорошо для вас и с нетерпением ждем встречи много много фотографий всего этого. Спасибо, что нашли время, чтобы оставлять сообщения.

ура

simonmags
08-19-2013, 11:53 PM
How is the boat coming along?

peirat-viktor
02-03-2014, 03:10 PM
I have not written any notes in this thread . This happened because of the lack of funding are no events in the life of the boat does not occur. All forces have been given to bureaucratic hearing on another boat called Ocean . This is due to the fact that no one can understand who its owner . This may be the Ministry of Defence , or is it one of the budgetary organizations ( Army Sports Club ), or is the Naval Museum , or is it ours. Too many cooks spoil the broth. Currently this boat wants to cut it for firewood "Sports Club of Army". This is due to the fact that you used, repairable sports equipment they have on internal regulations, should be discarded. They have it on the balance of the organization's worth, but no documents (bill of sale, certificate, property) on this boat they have not. While the boat is in the Naval Register as an educational, auxiliary naval vessel. And at the Naval Museum (as it yavlyaetsya establishment of the Ministry of Defense) is an order of admission to balance the boat. We also have an agreement on the joint use of it to the Museum for education, while in the case of waste we are required to pay all costs incurred by us for the maintenance of the boat. This is a real bureaucratic hell.
I attached a few photos so that you can understand what is at stake.
The yacht was built in 1958 in Gdansk (Poland). Project Opal-1 Model "Conrad 45" Yawl. Now we have 2 Yawl of 5 in St.Petersburg.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-OyLSCNak16Y/T6PSDv851_I/AAAAAAAAAR4/juCSH5Oedg0/w696-h540-no/y_e3027a65.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6ExRzDcWYnc/Uu_1xYMiLqI/AAAAAAAAA2I/ZNRTW5Xdy4I/w1096-h822-no/z_a9c65842.jpg

This weekend we have shifted to another mast, or rather hung them under a makeshift hut.
In any case, in the month of April we will be doing over the two boats (or if the "Ocean" sawed, while over one boat) hangar, so you can work it in full growth, even standing on the deck.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-b8EmIbP7uok/Uu_3cOOwUJI/AAAAAAAAA3Q/BGMm6jvDezs/w1463-h822-no/2014-02-02+18.48.50.jpg

peirat-viktor
02-03-2014, 03:29 PM
But I found the picture to stay afloat.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-KkpjYd5qrow/Uu_7nCempMI/AAAAAAAAA30/wcUX9NFsWSI/w1217-h822-no/n9KxOjvgqn8.jpg

Thad
02-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the update and pictures. Too bad things are as they are, but Good Luck!! with your efforts!

peirat-viktor
02-03-2014, 04:37 PM
I believe that at least one of the boats we put into the water.We found about 3 cubic meters of excellent red wood (timber) for $ 350. We can assume we were lucky. We're going to have to buy a pair of white cubic Canadian oak for keel laying and gluing sternpost knee.And I found in Finland shop with teak planks: 2 meters -14 €. We in Russia are not present in normal timber sale. Sometimes even have to travel to neighboring countries. In spite of our huge forests, we have not even Larch find either on sale or under the order. Only birch and spruce gnarly. Pine and bringing order.

Thad
02-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Lumber maybe too easy to find in the US, but good boat lumber not easy. Need to work with sawmills or know specialty dealers.