PDA

View Full Version : Unkindest cuts; sequester

John Smith
05-07-2013, 04:42 PM
This seems to be a nightly thing on Hardball. My brother found Hospice marvelous.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3036697/#51794484

We are witnessing the destruction of a once great country. It's a shame. We should all be outraged.

I'd like more cuts added to this thread so we get a good idea of how widespread the problems can become.

Tom Montgomery
05-07-2013, 06:54 PM
http://politicalirony.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/700x582xKos111-700x582.jpg.pagespeed.ic.mOGjIdRKgT.jpg

ccmanuals
05-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Kids and old people have lousy lobbyists.

John Smith
05-08-2013, 05:49 AM
They have no lobbyists.

They're also not getting all that much media attention.

I fear it will get attention after a lot of damage has been done, and out of sight out of mind will be the way it goes for a while.

I'm quite "down" these days. Seems everywhere I look there's no reason for any optimism. Guns, I suspect, are among the least of our problems. We are self destructing in other ways.

David W Pratt
05-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Isn't the sequester a reduction in the rate of growth in spending? And thus not a cut.
WRT Head Start, the evidence for its benefits is severely flawed. The proponents compare kids who took it with kids who didn't. Thus they overlook selection bias. Also it is a norm referenced comparison, the HS kids may be "better" but are they "good"?
HS has been around for about 40 years, if it worked wouldn't we have a bunch of well educated, high achieving 40-50 year olds?

DMillet
05-08-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm more optimistic than I was a few months ago. There are new houses going up all over around here. Somebody is making money. Me, I'm selling out and heading for the hills. I've still got a few years left to work, but I'm happy to shed the mortgage. I can work from anywhere.

Dick

LeeG
05-08-2013, 01:07 PM
$406million for 70,000 children

That's about three F35 or an abandoned airbase in Iraq

John Smith
05-08-2013, 02:11 PM
My fear is that there's a lot of 'out of sight; out of mind' happening.

Hospice, according to clip above, is losing funding. That will only impact those with loved ones who are terminal. The advantage of head start may be questioned, but who can question the unfairness of some kids getting it and some not getting it with the selection process being by lot? I suspect we'll know about other cuts when they become newsworthy and impact more people.

I see no reason to be optimistic. Congress is dysfunctional. I've been around a while, and I see behavior in congress today that is truly unique to these times. Politicians write a bill. The president likes the bill, and the people who wrote it vote against it to prevent him from having a political victory, and to hell with the country.

I watched a bit of O'Reilly last night, making me an apparent glutton for punishment. The part of the show I watched was geared for convincing his viewers that the consulate attack is the single biggest problem this country has faced since its inception, and it's all Hillary's and Obama's fault.

I'd like my fellow bilge rats to ponder for a moment how many posts come along when the topic is gun control compared to how many posts come along when the topic is, IMO, more substantial in that it has more likelihood of causing one harm than are the odds of one getting shot.

Seemingly small and insignificant budget cuts can lead to the spread of disease or other consequences that, once we are living within them, will not seem so small and insignificant. I submit that waiting times at airports are one of the lesser problems these cuts are likely to produce.

Then the question will be one of whether we can put Humpty together again.

John Smith
05-09-2013, 06:06 AM
Chris Hayes last night did a segment on a Detroit school that's just closing. Kids are not getting an option for finishing the school year.

Why does anyone believe this sort of thing is good for the future?

Our media doesn't lack for hours. We've had wall to wall coverage of the three women; to the point where a lot of what we're being fed is speculation. There needs to be a concentrated effort by the media to point out daily people who are suffering from the sequester. Without it, most people won't believe anyone is suffering.

It's a bit ironic how my brother hated federal spending, but loved his Medicare and really loved hospice, which I'm learning, is funded some by federal money.

I get the impression that many don't like living in a society, but would rather live in a place with no laws where everyone is on his own.

A bird is born defective and is tossed from the nest to perish. As humans we treat our defectively born children differently, but we seem not to appreciate there is a cost for doing this, and the parents, alone, cannot afford it.

tizziec
05-09-2013, 06:11 AM
I know child advocates for foster care have been hit.. nothing like kicking a kid when they ar down right? Would love to be able to sit with a fully detailed budget and fix it! Like that movie "Dave". I bet there are not only things to cut but places where purchasing could be shifted to help support American owned operated, non-corporate business too. We need more logic and realism in office, more attention to what really works and what doesn't!