PDA

View Full Version : More fundamentalist nonsense

Gerarddm
05-06-2013, 07:47 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/world/asia/two-days-of-riots-in-bangladesh-turn-deadly.html?hpw

If people wonder in the Islamic world why many people in other societies look askance at them, here yet is another reason why.

If I may be jocular, modern Islam needs a good public relations firm with clout to make the louts behave.

Kaa
05-06-2013, 07:51 PM
If people wonder in the Islamic world why many people in other societies look askance at them...

I can safely assure you that they don't.

Kaa

Gerarddm
05-06-2013, 07:57 PM
O but I believe they do.

Kaa
05-06-2013, 07:58 PM
O but I believe they do.

Do you, perhaps, have any evidence to support your belief?

Kaa

MiddleAgesMan
05-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Do you?

Gerarddm
05-07-2013, 01:12 AM
At various times I've read articles reporting that Muslims in America in particular are worried about being tarred with a broader jihadi brush.

And then you get your garden variety jihadis who think America is waging war on Islam, a base canard.

John Smith
05-07-2013, 05:29 AM
I'd like to try a world with no religion.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-07-2013, 06:09 AM
I spent a week on a motorbike in the Moslem Southern Philippines, a region that the British and the Americans are warned by their Embassies to avoid; all the Moslems I met were perfectly charming.

bogdog
05-07-2013, 06:29 AM
I find Muslims charming too, but I admit to a substantial amount of anxiety regarding their beliefs about relationships with others outside of their faith. One has but to look at the great backward leaps made in Pakistan over the last several decades or the never ending struggle in Somalia. There are numerous(6-8?) sects of Islam several of which violently prey on the others based on population majorities. Neither of the two strongest sects are tolerant of each other and are the basis for much of the tension in the Middle East currently.

Kaa
05-07-2013, 12:16 PM
If people wonder in the Islamic world why...

At various times I've read articles reporting that Muslims in America in particular are worried about being tarred with a broader jihadi brush.

Ahem.

Kaa

Michael D. Storey
05-07-2013, 02:07 PM
It is only in modern times that Christians stopped killing other Christians, on religious grounds. Clearly, the world was much more insular back then, but the concept that Jews are on a one way ticket to hell for not believing is still widely held by much of America even today.

Do not misunderstand me; there must be a way to stop killing each other because of differences of belief. It just is that we as a culture have approached that state only recently. Some method of dealing with others, other than condemnation, needs to be worked out.

AnalogKid
05-07-2013, 03:29 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/world/asia/two-days-of-riots-in-bangladesh-turn-deadly.html?hpw

If people wonder in the Islamic world why many people in other societies look askance at them, here yet is another reason why.

If I may be jocular, modern Islam needs a good public relations firm with clout to make the louts behave.

If I might be so bold...

How about posing the same question to yourself, i.e "If people wonder in the USA why many people in other societies look askance at them?"

I would suggest that it's the extremists on both sides that are the problem. The Islamic fundamentalists on the one hand and the profiteering war hawks on the other. And they each use the other as an excuse for their behaviour, and so there's a feedback loop. The rabid fringe is what makes any 'group' look bad when that group is something as large as a nation, religion or culture.

Andy.

Osborne Russell
05-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Do not misunderstand me; there must be a way to stop killing each other because of differences of belief. It just is that we as a culture have approached that state only recently. Some method of dealing with others, other than condemnation, needs to be worked out.

A real good start would be a strict separation of church and state, that would err on the side of caution, because no one can do condemnation like a theocratic state. But the Republicans are against separation of church and state.

Osborne Russell
05-07-2013, 07:35 PM
I would suggest that it's the extremists on both sides that are the problem. The Islamic fundamentalists on the one hand and the profiteering war hawks on the other.

They aren't two different sides, they're rivals, competing for the same prize. What needs to be made clear is that the rest of us intend to stop them both.

Gerarddm
05-08-2013, 12:13 AM
A decent riposte, Kaa. I shouldn't necessarily group Muslim Americans with the greater Islamic world. I did say "if" they thought, though...

Incidentally, thoughtful Americans know exactly why some people in other parts of the world look at us askance.

( An outlier: when I was in Kosovo, the Muslim Albanian majority loved Americans - Clinton & NATO bombed the beejesus out of the Serbs to get them off their back. )