PDA

View Full Version : The new Commerce secretary

Kaa
05-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Wonderful pick by Obama, dontcha think? :-D

Kaa

John of Phoenix
05-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Now to get her confirmed by the reds in the senate.

LeeG
05-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Haven't thought about it.

Kaa
05-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Now to get her confirmed by the reds in the senate.

Ah, but she's a true 1%-er, or actually, 0.01%-er... Surely the reds who are in thrall to robber barons should recognize her as one of their masters..?

Kaa

Paul Pless
05-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Has there ever been an Obama pick that you liked?Robert Gates seemed alright. . .:d

John of Phoenix
05-02-2013, 02:51 PM
That ANY red liked?

Paul Pless
05-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Hillary turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

LeeG
05-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Ah, but she's a true 1%-er, or actually, 0.01%-er... Surely the reds who are in thrall to robber barons should recognize her as one of their masters..?

Kaa

So is she the topic or the monolithic entity called the Reds?

Mrleft8
05-02-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm kinda happy that he's stacking the cabinet (Or pretending to try to) with old friends..... Kinda sticking it to the republicans who won't pass any of his good ideas...... "OK.... You won't pass stuff that's good for the country?..... Let's see what you do with stuff that's bad for the country.... Go ahead..... Make me make a second choice, and waste the taxpayers time and money...."

Kaa
05-02-2013, 03:20 PM
So is she the topic or the monolithic entity called the Reds?

I dunno :-) I suspect the actual topic is how much money you need to give to the Democratic Party in order to become the Commerce Secretary... :-)

Kaa

Kaa
05-02-2013, 03:29 PM
About as much as one needed to give to the GOP for a cabinet position, when Bush was President, I suspect.

So no difference, then? :-D :-D

Kaa

Kaa
05-02-2013, 03:53 PM
So far, I don't think that Obama has nominated anyone whose chief claim to fame (or competence) is that he was the former president of the Arabian Horse Association.

Well, what's Penny Pritzker's chief claim to fame or competence..?

Kaa

Mrleft8
05-02-2013, 04:00 PM

Kaa

Pritzker is a member of the President's Council on Jobs and Competitiveness. She also served on the President's Economic Recovery Advisory Board.

She was national co-chair of Obama for America 2012 and was the national finance chair of President Obama's presidential campaign in 2008.[20] A campaign under her direction reached out to small donors. On November 20, 2008, CNN reported that Pritzker was Barack Obama's top choice for Commerce Secretary, quoting "multiple" unnamed sources.[21] However, it was later reported that Pritzker took herself out of the running.[22][23][24] According to the Chicago Tribune, she withdrew her name from consideration "due to obligations to her family, for whom she was still overseeing billions in assets, and the financial crisis, which was putting some of those assets at risk."

Pritzker has contributed to numerous campaigns. Among the recipients have been the presidential campaigns and exploratory committees, including those of George W. Bush, Joe Lieberman, Bill Bradley, Rudy Giuliani, John McCain (2000), Al Gore, John Kerry and Hillary Clinton.[25] On July 2, 2008, Ms. Pritzker and her husband hosted a $28,500 per plate fundraiser for Mr. Obama's campaign in Chicago with Warren Buffett and his wife, and Obama advisor Valerie Jarrett.[26]

She is also a director of the Council on Foreign Relations,[27] a nonpartisan think tank focused on world affairs and U.S. foreign policy.

Kaa
05-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Pritzker has contributed to numerous campaigns. Among the recipients have been the presidential campaigns and exploratory committees, including those of George W. Bush, Joe Lieberman, Bill Bradley, Rudy Giuliani...

Oh, no, say it ain't so! :-D

Besides, Lefty, you forgot the by far most important part: having really rich parents....

Kaa

Mrleft8
05-02-2013, 04:08 PM
You asked.

John of Phoenix
05-02-2013, 04:09 PM
A wealthy "0.01%-er" would surely know more about commerce than a Arabian horseman knows about emergency services.

Cuyahoga Chuck
05-02-2013, 04:10 PM

Kaa

You're the one making the accusations. Are they the usual stink based on nothing?

Kaa
05-02-2013, 04:15 PM
You're the one making the accusations.

I am just curious what makes Ms.Pritzker a compelling choice for a Cabinet-level position in the Federal government -- other than throwing gobs of money at a political party, that is..?

Kaa

Gerarddm
05-02-2013, 05:45 PM
A Commerce Sec'y is supposed to promulgate jobs.That's one reason why Obama had appointed Gary Locke earlier, to get China to play nice with American companies. Now as ambassador he can do even more. I suppose Pritzker can do the same.

Locke has done pretty well for himself, considering how he let reactionary initiative flack Tim Eyeman lead him around by the nose when he was governor of WA State.

wardd
05-02-2013, 05:47 PM
A wealthy "0.01%-er" would surely know more about commerce than a Arabian horseman knows about emergency services.

but he dressed well, or so i hear

purri
05-02-2013, 05:55 PM
^dressage anyone?

John of Phoenix
05-02-2013, 06:14 PM
:D Very punny. :D

ljb5
05-02-2013, 06:22 PM
I am just curious what makes Ms.Pritzker a compelling choice for a Cabinet-level position in the Federal government -- other than throwing gobs of money at a political party, that is..?

Kaa

She's got a JD/MBA from Harvard.

That's not nothing.

Her business experience includes:

1987 - founded Classic Residence by Hyatt, now called Vi.
1991 - created Pritzker Realty Group
1991 - chairman of Superior Bank, until 1994.
1998 – co-founded The Parking Spot, the fastest growing company in off-site airport parking management,[12] with CEO Martin Nesbitt.
2005 - became Chairman of the Board, TransUnion, LLC. She served as chairman until 2012.
2010 - co-founded Artemis Real Estate Partners, a real estate investment management company, with CEO Deborah Harmon
2012 - founded PSP Capital Partners[13]

wardd
05-02-2013, 06:24 PM
She's got a JD/MBA from Harvard.

That's not nothing.

Her business experience includes:

1987 - founded Classic Residence by Hyatt, now called Vi.
1991 - created Pritzker Realty Group
1991 - chairman of Superior Bank, until 1994.
1998 – co-founded The Parking Spot, the fastest growing company in off-site airport parking management,[12] with CEO Martin Nesbitt.
2005 - became Chairman of the Board, TransUnion, LLC. She served as chairman until 2012.
2010 - co-founded Artemis Real Estate Partners, a real estate investment management company, with CEO Deborah Harmon
2012 - founded PSP Capital Partners[13]

but what does she know about horses

David G
05-02-2013, 06:31 PM

Kaa

gengland'oh... is that you?

ljb5
05-02-2013, 06:37 PM

I think Kaa is having a very off day, or week.

He took a big swing and a miss at Krugman.

He stood up to defend Reinhart and Rogoff right when they were giving up on defending themselves.

He took a swing at a study that shows that Medicaid is doing pretty much what it is supposed to do...

And now he's boxing for a Commerce nominee who actually seems to have a perfectly respectable resume.

How many strike-outs does a guy get in a week?

Who was it who said, "It's not just that he's become indistinguishable from an internet smartass, it has more to do with him locking himself in an echo chamber, picking weak versions of positions he opposes, and deliberately misleading through cherry-picking and innuendo. Effectively, he lost the ability to consider that he might be wrong. In an intellectual that's fatal."

Chip-skiff
05-02-2013, 07:08 PM
In their second terms, US presidents reward those who have supported and helped them. While I think she's qualified, in a general way, I also see it as the customary patronage. In his first term, Mr. Obama was criticised for ignoring the big-money donors and bundlers.

Or is that beyond the reach of the conservative memory?

Donn
05-02-2013, 07:12 PM
In their second terms, US presidents reward those who have supported and helped them. While I think she's qualified, in a general way, I also see it as the customary patronage. In his first term, Mr. Obama was criticised for ignoring the big-money donors and bundlers.

Or is that beyond the reach of the conservative memory?

This Conservative remembers Obama promising he would change the way Washington works, and wouldn't have any lobbyists working in his administration. His latest cabinet nominations fly in the face of those promises.

ron ll
05-02-2013, 07:36 PM
And let's not forget the prestigious Pritzker Prize in architecture from her parents Jay and Cindy. :)

Kaa
05-02-2013, 07:37 PM
I think Kaa is having a very off day, or week.

He took a big swing and a miss at Krugman.

He stood up to defend Reinhart and Rogoff right when they were giving up on defending themselves.

He took a swing at a study that shows that Medicaid is doing pretty much what it is supposed to do...

And now he's boxing for a Commerce nominee who actually seems to have a perfectly respectable resume.

How many strike-outs does a guy get in a week?

Who was it who said, "It's not just that he's become indistinguishable from an internet smartass, it has more to do with him locking himself in an echo chamber, picking weak versions of positions he opposes, and deliberately misleading through cherry-picking and innuendo. Effectively, he lost the ability to consider that he might be wrong. In an intellectual that's fatal."

Oh, I see now why you have so much trouble with reality... Though escaping into a dreamworld only works for so long... :-D

Kaa

Kaa
05-02-2013, 07:51 PM

Oh-oh, he's getting into a loop...

Kaa

David G
05-02-2013, 07:56 PM
I've always been a bit loopy. Nice to have you join me!

Garret
05-02-2013, 08:03 PM
This Conservative remembers Obama promising he would change the way Washington works, and wouldn't have any lobbyists working in his administration. His latest cabinet nominations fly in the face of those promises.

She's not a lobbyist. She's more like the fox guarding the henhouse.

Obama disappoints again - though possibly for reasons different than yours.

LeeG
05-02-2013, 08:45 PM
I dunno :-) I suspect the actual topic is how much money you need to give to the Democratic Party in order to become the Commerce Secretary... :-)

Kaa

So you really don't know beyond button pushing. That's nice dear.

Donn
05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
She's not a lobbyist. She's more like the fox guarding the henhouse.

I didn't say she's a lobbyist. She's a failed banker who played with sub-prime loans. She screwed everybody; the government, her depositors and everyone else (other than the family) who had money in Superior. Imagine what the Bilge lefties would say if she were Republican.

Check out Obama's nominee for FCC. He's a primo lobbyist.

Garret
05-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Hey - we're agreeing that as a nominee, she sucks - no?

Cuyahoga Chuck
05-02-2013, 10:37 PM

Kaa

I'm sure there will be a biography of her in the New York Times but beause you are disinclined to go to print media you'll have to remain as you are.

Cuyahoga Chuck
05-02-2013, 10:40 PM
I didn't say she's a lobbyist. She's a failed banker who played with sub-prime loans. She screwed everybody; the government, her depositors and everyone else (other than the family) who had money in Superior. Imagine what the Bilge lefties would say if she were Republican.

Check out Obama's nominee for FCC. He's a primo lobbyist.

The fact that we know who and what they are is commendable. God only knows where all that Koch brothers lucre ends up and what favors it buys.