PDA

View Full Version : This might be up Paul's alley - Zetini Haast Barchetta

AnalogKid
05-01-2013, 06:27 PM
From the Zetini (http://www.zetini.com/Zetini-Auto/) web-site (the also make ali cruising yachts)...

A beautiful hand-built aluminium bodied barchetta. Combining modern environmental 6.2 or 7 litre engines with manual six speed transaxle with old school class and style. Concept, design by Martin Foster. Graphic design by Adrian Lamb. Suspension by Pfadt Race Engineering. Using either an E-ROD 6.2L LS3 or E-ROD 7.0L LS7 engines. These engines are efficient environmentally-conscious, and emission-compliant.
The E-ROD 6.2L LS3 delivers 430hp and 424 ft.-lbs. of torque and the E-ROD 7.0L LS7 delivers 505hp.
Brembro brakes and three piece forged alloy wheels from Image Wheels (UK)
Cost is for the 6.2L engined car is $165,590.00 New Zealand Dollars (excluding any GST). Lead time is six months from receipt of deposit.
It also has the option of a moving rear wing.

http://www.zetini.com/.cm4all/mediadb//2013-04-06%2009.51.47%20(2).jpg

More images here: Hand built NZ sports car close to reality (http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/customs-classics/8618824/Hand-built-NZ-sports-car-close-to-reality)

Andy.

Flying Orca
05-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Kinda ludicrous to claim that an engine that size is environmentally friendly in any way except the chemical proportions of its exhaust, but that's a beautiful car!

Paul Pless
05-01-2013, 08:03 PM
This might be up Paul's alley - Zetini Haast Barchetta
Yeah that is exactly up my alley!

http://static.stuff.co.nz/1367362794/641/8618641_600x400.jpg

TomF
05-01-2013, 08:08 PM
freaking gorgeous. And I'm not even a car guy.

LeeG
05-01-2013, 08:08 PM
150hp should be sufficient but either way that is nice.

But where is the real car?

Waiting for a Subaru BRZ convertible

AnalogKid
05-01-2013, 08:14 PM
...But where is the real car?

Cost is for the 6.2L engined car is $165,590.00 New Zealand Dollars (excluding any GST). Lead time is six months from receipt of deposit.

I'm guessing someone will drop the deposit after seeing the press release pics, so watch this space.

Paul Pless
05-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Kinda ludicrous to claim that an engine that size is environmentally friendly in any way except the chemical proportions of its exhaust, but that's a beautiful car!Many of these 'small production' runs type of cars use aftermarket 'hot rod' engines that are based on 1960's emissions technology - meaning no emissions controls. This one is using a crate motor straight from Chevrolet, with all the emissions controls, and fuel management computer that the modern Corvette, including cylinder deactivation at highway cruise speeds. Worth noting my Corvette had 505 HP but i often got 32 to 35 mpg. Of course to be fair there were also times that I got 4 mpg. . .:D

AnalogKid
05-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Paul,

I'd love to see those fuel consumption figures expressed as minutes per gallon rather than miles. I'm guessing about 50 minutes per gallon at best, and the worst would be less than 2?

Andy.

Paul Pless
05-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Paul,

I'd love to see those fuel consumption figures expressed as minutes per gallon rather than miles. I'm guessing about 50 minutes per gallon at best, and the worst would be less than 2?

Andy.One warm summer night I was driving with the top off up in the mountains, descending down into a small town in a valley. It was about fifteen miles of switch backs to gain three miles in actual distance. The road was deserted I was having a lot of fun. I coasted into the edge of this sleepy little Appalachian town and turned abruptly into a gas station off the main street. There was one parking space available for me between six police and sheriffs cars. The cops were all sitting around shooting the shoot drinking coffee. I non nonchalantly turned the car off knowing they had heard me all the way down that road. I walked into the store. When I came out they were all gathered around it, smiling chatting laughing. The car was still hissing and popping from heat sink! These guys were all car guys! They wanted to see the engine, sit in it, hear it rev, it was great!:d

AnalogKid
05-01-2013, 08:31 PM
I wonder if it would've gone so well for you if you'd been in a Porsche or Fezza?

Flying Orca
05-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Many of these 'small production' runs type of cars use aftermarket 'hot rod' engines that are based on 1960's emissions technology - meaning no emissions controls. This one is using a crate motor straight from Chevrolet, with all the emissions controls, and fuel management computer that the modern Corvette, including cylinder deactivation at highway cruise speeds. Worth noting my Corvette had 505 HP but i often got 32 to 35 mpg. Of course to be fair there were also times that I got 4 mpg. . .:D

Oh, I know you can get surprisingly high mileage with a modern engine. The fact remains, it's designed for conspicuous consumption, not conservation.

There are so few supercars around, I don't really begrudge them the fuel they use - it's all coming out of the ground and it's all going to burn, more or less, as quickly as we can burn it. Advertising them as environmentally friendly, though, is a nose-stretcher of epic proportions.

MiddleAgesMan
05-01-2013, 08:46 PM
One warm summer night I was driving with the top off up in the mountains, descending down into a small town in a valley. It was about fifteen miles of switch backs to gain three miles in actual distance. The road was deserted I was having a lot of fun. I coasted into the edge of this sleepy little Appalachian town and turned abruptly into a gas station off the main street. There was one parking space available for me between six police and sheriffs cars. The cops were all sitting around shooting the shoot drinking coffee. I non nonchalantly turned the car off knowing they had heard me all the way down that road. I walked into the store. When I came out they were all gathered around it, smiling chatting laughing. The car was still hissing and popping from heat sink! These guys were all car guys! They wanted to see the engine, sit in it, hear it rev, it was great!:d

Sand Mountain?

Paul Pless
05-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Sand Mountain?Cherokee, on my way to Asheville.

Keith Wilson
05-01-2013, 08:56 PM
That is one GORGEOUS car!

Gerarddm
05-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Looks like a knockoff of Carrol Shelby's Aston Martin DBR that won LeMans, with a touch of Jag XJ13 thrown in to the mix.

AnalogKid
05-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Supposedly inspired by the hand-crafted bodies of 1950s-60s Ferrari Barchettas. I know in the late 40s a Barchetta looked like this:

http://www.finecars.cc/typo3temp/GB/98c9c39a8f.jpg

..but I can't find images of later cars that also carry the Barchetta name, it seems to just refer to open top race car versions of coupes, in which case, this is the inspiration:

http://myautoworld.com/ferrari/cars/history/1950s/53-monza/1956_Ferrari_860_Monza-1.jpg

http://myautoworld.com/ferrari/cars/history/1950s/53-monza/1955_Ferrari_500_Mondial.jpg

Perhaps some Fezza enthusiast can enlighten us further.

Andy.

John B
05-02-2013, 09:00 PM
I love it. That frontal treatment looks very Ferrari 250 to me.
Yesterday I was tailgated by a Miura. well... seemed like tailgated because all I could see at the lights was roof even if it was a car length back. Nearly drove off the road when he turned onto the onramp and fanged it.

The Bigfella
05-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Its nice, but it looks like it would lift at the front.

The Bigfella
05-02-2013, 09:28 PM
One warm summer night I was driving with the top off up in the mountains, descending down into a small town in a valley. It was about fifteen miles of switch backs to gain three miles in actual distance. The road was deserted I was having a lot of fun. I coasted into the edge of this sleepy little Appalachian town and turned abruptly into a gas station off the main street. There was one parking space available for me between six police and sheriffs cars. The cops were all sitting around shooting the shoot drinking coffee. I non nonchalantly turned the car off knowing they had heard me all the way down that road. I walked into the store. When I came out they were all gathered around it, smiling chatting laughing. The car was still hissing and popping from heat sink! These guys were all car guys! They wanted to see the engine, sit in it, hear it rev, it was great!:d

Good story. Reminds me of this road.... which was like this for about 750 kilometres.... except there were zero cops

http://keithooper.smugmug.com/Travel/Aug-Sept-Oct-2011/i-qFDXpxp/0/L/Road-map-4-L.jpg

seanz
05-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Its nice, but it looks like it would lift at the front.

That was my second thought.

Maybe the scoops, radiator cowl and the Chevy V8 will be enough to keep the front down?

purri
05-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Barchetta, is that like a Barista?

seanz
05-03-2013, 01:03 AM
It's one of those fancy bits of ham innit?

purri
05-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Ah, Scuderia Porco Rosso no doubt...

seanz
05-03-2013, 01:13 AM
That the same as the Barba Q Sossie?

Keith Wilson
05-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Scuderia Porco Rosso no doubt...:d

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GnWrYoIot74/UOR-1T7tjRI/AAAAAAAAA0c/1ndZMslhrE0/s1600/resize-PorcoRosso2.jpg