PDA

View Full Version : And it was going so well....

SBrookman
04-30-2013, 01:19 PM
...on my 16' Melonseed build..until just now.

It's a beautiful spring day here in NJ and after getting waylaid by Sandy, then a NJ winter, still working a real job, and a master bath remodel, it was finally time to get back to the shop (garage.) The doors were open, music on, and there was a planked and framed hull ready to be finished, or at least worked on.

http://traditionalsmallcraft.com/Images/Rivus/HullPrimed3.jpg

I finished up the CB, found some bronze bushings, washers and made a SS pin cut from a bolt.

http://traditionalsmallcraft.com/Images/Rivus/CBPinBushing.jpg

I got brave yesterday and cut the slot for the CB. I dry fit the case, several times, and it fit nicely. I put the CB in and it had good clearance. Things were going smoothly, and I was really enjoying this boat building stuff. I looked at the clock and figured I had just enough time to rip the logs out of a Juniper flitch, and glue the case up so it could be installed today. Great progress was being made. Of course you can probably see it coming.

This morning the case looked good, did another dry fit, sanded it, and figured I better fit the CB in one more time. Then it was not so much fun. The bushings are misaligned by a good 1/8". I should have left the pin when gluing, and not rushed, and maybe thought about it. The case really looks nice, and it fits real good...but it doesn't work!

Any suggestions? I think I'll go mow the lawn or something...Arrhhh.....

Dan McCosh
04-30-2013, 01:36 PM
I would plug the hole on one side of the case, then redrill it with the bushing on the other side as a guide. Could be plugged with a plug cut from wood, or even solid epoxy with structural filler.

Peerie Maa
04-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Make sure that you know which hole IS in the right place.

wlitsch
04-30-2013, 02:10 PM
My problem was that the shaft when in the bearings wasn't perfectly perpendicular to the CB case so the board rubbed on one side (and wouldn't have been aligned with the center line of the keel). So I needed to reposition the bushings as well. I inserted a piece of stainless shaft into the bushing and warmed it up with a propane torch until the epoxy softened, then removed the bushing. I removed one bearing at a time, then enlarged the holes for the bearings giving me new wood to bond to and re-set the bearings on the shaft with the shaft clamped to be in the correct relationship to the case. I had to fill around the bearings with cabosil and epoxy, but that's not a problem.

If you do it that way make sure you wax the shafting so you can remove it after the epoxy sets. I also had to ream out the epoxy that got between the shaft and the bushing with a 1/2" drill (by hand it came out easily before it had the time to harden completely). When the bearings get warmed up, they smoke quite a lot because of the oil that's impregnated into the bushing. I also replaced the bushings even though I don't think I needed to.

Bill

Eddiebou
04-30-2013, 02:17 PM
I didn't understand the situation at first. The bushings don't line up with each other by 1/8th of an inch. Hmmm, gonna have to move one of 'em. Shucks, you'll have it figured out by the time you read this post. Sounds like ^ wlitsch came up with a good solution.

SBrookman
04-30-2013, 02:37 PM
My problem was that the shaft when in the bearings wasn't perfectly perpendicular to the CB case so the board rubbed on one side (and wouldn't have been aligned with the center line of the keel). So I needed to reposition the bushings as well. I inserted a piece of stainless shaft into the bushing and warmed it up with a propane torch until the epoxy softened, then removed the bushing. I removed one bearing at a time, then enlarged the holes for the bearings giving me new wood to bond to and re-set the bearings on the shaft with the shaft clamped to be in the correct relationship to the case. I had to fill around the bearings with cabosil and epoxy, but that's not a problem.

If you do it that way make sure you wax the shafting so you can remove it after the epoxy sets. I also had to ream out the epoxy that got between the shaft and the bushing with a 1/2" drill (by hand it came out easily before it had the time to harden completely). When the bearings get warmed up, they smoke quite a lot because of the oil that's impregnated into the bushing. I also replaced the bushings even though I don't think I needed to.

Bill

Wow, post #1 and it sounds like a winner. I'm off to hardware store now, mind as well get a few more bushings just in case. (no pun intended)

Thanks,

donald branscom
04-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Every boat building job has some kind of snag.
I cannot think of ANY boat that was built that something did not happen.
Just be thankful it was not an injury of some sort.

I know of three boats that were being built and the owner
was injured before the boat got launched.
There could be family problems loss of job etc.,.

But you must keep moving forward bro. You are lucky.

Hunky Dory
04-30-2013, 06:21 PM
In the future if you stack both sides of the case and the centerboard together and drill with a drill press all parts at once they will line up nicely. Just make sure you put the pin in while gluing up the case.

SBrookman
04-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Every boat building job has some kind of snag.
I cannot think of ANY boat that was built that something did not happen.
Just be thankful it was not an injury of some sort.

I know of three boats that were being built and the owner
was injured before the boat got launched.
There could be family problems loss of job etc.,.

But you must keep moving forward bro. You are lucky.

Donald, I hear ya. I'm very happy to be healthy, have all my digits, and to be able to be able to make these boneheaded mistakes. Just wish there were fewer of them. As you get more senior, (not just as a forum poster) you do appreciate life more, learn from your mistakes, but still find ways to make new ones. I don't think you can live long enough to avoid that.

>>In the future if you stack both sides of the case and the centerboard together and drill with a drill press all parts at once they will line up nicely. Just make sure you put the pin in while gluing up the case.<<

Yeah, the pin is key. Next time!