PDA

View Full Version : The Craft & Philosophy of Wooden Boat Carpentry

Nicholas Carey
04-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Look what Boing Boing just linked to (http://boingboing.net/2013/04/26/documentary-about-the-craft-an.html) this documentrary on Vimeo: Shaped On All Six Sides: A short documentary about the craft and philosophy of wooden boat carpentry

http://vimeo.com/63683408

http://vimeo.com/63683408

Looks interesting!

ron ll
04-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Very cool. Did I see a James McMullen listed in the credits?

seanz
04-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Looks interesting!

And it was interesting.

Gerarddm
04-30-2013, 12:41 AM
Yep, that's James' partner Andy Stewart featured and doing the voice over. Emerald Marine in Anacortes, WA. You'll note James hisself at the tiller.

David G
04-30-2013, 01:34 AM
Nice film!

pcford
04-30-2013, 11:34 AM
In the film Andy Stewart says, "There's nothing else I could do now." I restored boats from the mid 70's up to several years ago with intermittent "relapses." Since about 1980 I did mostly speedboats. There were some exemptions from this...the boat on the cover of this months WoodenBoat is one I worked on around 1980.

At a fairly advanced age I switched to creating videos. I've done non-narrative, corporate, documentary and a little work on a feature. I have found that boat restoration work is good training for making movies. You have to do very detailed work that the person paying you will likely never know about...but if it is not done correctly, eventually your carelessness will become known.

Congratulations to the filmmakers...am I correct that it was shot with a Go-Pro?
By the way, there are several film/video/boat people on this venue.

I did see that weasel McMullet at the tiller. However, he did not spoil a fine film...

pcford
04-30-2013, 04:27 PM
bump...It's a good little film and it deserves more attention than the typical bilge squeezings.

John of Phoenix
04-30-2013, 05:29 PM
typical bilge squeezings.Reminds me of the old Reader's Digest section, "Toward more colorful speech". Well turned.

Gbob
07-06-2013, 03:42 AM
I tend to join. Very interesting info is mentioned above.

skuthorp
07-06-2013, 06:19 AM
G'day Gbob.
The thread title does not describe my poor efforts, unfortunately.
Enjoyed the film and learnt something in the process. Can't ask more than that.

Gbob
08-02-2013, 02:33 AM
Hi skuthorp,

G'day Gbob.
The thread title does not describe my poor efforts, unfortunately.
Enjoyed the film and learnt something in the process. Can't ask more than that.
Any efforts to apply the stuff learnt in the process?

skuthorp
08-02-2013, 06:36 AM
Not on boats actually, restoring some farm machinery at present. The ironwork is fine but the woodwork is mostly rotten or absent. I'm trying my hand at wagon wheel repairs in a week or two, and I have done that before. Spoke and fellows replacement on a couple of existing wheels, and the resident blacksmith (on a heritage farm) can re-fit the tyre. Working in a very hard eucalypt to match the rest of the wheel, fortunately easily sourced but heavy.