PDA

View Full Version : info from registration/lisence #?

imported_Jimmy
02-25-2002, 10:53 AM
a friend of mine rescued an old wooden sailboat last year that he is planning on restoring and can't find any information on. The boat has already been stripped down to the bare hull and the only thing he has to go on is a registration/lisence number he found on a piece of wood with the boat. He thought it had been built in England and tried writing the ships registry there without any luck. The iece of wood said:
No 281736
Net 10
If anyone knows how to get any information from this number could you please let me know and I will pass it along to him. Thanks

Dale Genther
02-25-2002, 11:10 AM
The US Coast Guard Documentation Number Query web site describes a vessel with documentation number 281736 as being a built in 1935 with a lentht of 37 ft. Previous owner: Robert Thiemi. The document has expired and little additional info. is listed

Carl Stone
02-25-2002, 11:44 AM
Dale - Can you publish that web site? Got some digging of my own I would like to do. Thanks

Dale Genther
02-25-2002, 11:56 AM
Forgot to add the following:
Vessel name: TAVEUNI
Net Tonns: 10
Gross tons: 11

Web Site: www.st.nmfs.gov/st1/commercial/landings/cg_vessel2.html (http://www.st.nmfs.gov/st1/commercial/landings/cg_vessel2.html)

imported_Jimmy
02-25-2002, 04:15 PM
Wow, thanks I'll pass the information on to him. It sounds like the right boat, he told me it was 38' which is pretty close. How would he go about finding out the designer, try to contact the previous owner? He would like to rebuild it according to the original drawings if it is possible to find them.

Dale Genther
02-25-2002, 09:01 PM
Look for clues. Any paper work found on boat? Sail numbers? He must have gotten some paperwork when he "rescued' it to prove he now owns it. You can't just go about "rescuing" old wooden boats now matter how much they may need it. Try calling the Coast Guard Documentation office in Falling Water, WV. Methods of construction can sometime yield clues. If the boat was found in a marina, ask everyone at the marina if they know or remember anything. These are my suggestions.

imported_Jimmy
02-26-2002, 02:21 PM
I don't know the whole story of how he rescued the boat, but I seem to remember it had been abandoned and the property owner was planning on burning it to get rid of it, but agreed to sell it to my friend cheap if he got it off his property. I don't know if the landowner was also the boat owner (I doubt it) or whether my friend has done anything to prevent possible ownership issues in the future, Any suggestions?