PDA

View Full Version : Reminiscing.

John Smith
04-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Following the loss of my brother, I've done a surprising amount or recalling my boyhood days. We lived in Montclair, and our normal travels with our parents including several surrounding towns, with maybe a 7 mile radius from our home.

It was not at all uncommon in those travels to see people building boats in their yard or garage. Today that would be an extraordinary event.

Are there less boaters? Are there less would be boaters with the time or tools? Are their more ordinances against it?

Just something to ponder.

DMillet
04-28-2013, 06:32 PM
I don't see nearly as many boaters on my little Adirondack lake as when I was a kid. More on the big lakes though. I think there's a lot less people spending time outside in general nowadays. Too many electronic diversions I think.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Boating has changed a lot. When I was a kid, boating was more of a passion for some, rather than an activity for many. When we cruised the north shore of Georgian Bay there was hardly a boater up there... still commercial fisherman running out of Little Current... that was almost 40 years ago.

The Thousand Islands area is just a swarm of boaters now, it was always busy, but now you can't even find a calm anchorage without some arse in his tupperware disco party boat blasting you out. I like to go out after Labour day, and before the warm weather. No one around.

LeeG
04-28-2013, 07:24 PM
My early memory was clambering around in a Sabot on a reservoir with my dad, I was small

John Smith
04-29-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm thinking it was perhaps the coming of fiberglass that caused a big change. I don't know, but I'm guessing a professionally made fiberglass boat was less costly to buy than a wooden boat, simply because a lot less skilled labor was involved.

I also remember my mom commenting at some small boat show we went to how the new boats were designed for the showroom, not the water. She was referencing the lovely chrome and how it would react to a bit of salt water spray.

Mrleft8
04-29-2013, 10:19 AM
People used to spend time outside doing things, by themselves, or with others. Now people text each other and update their status.