PDA

View Full Version : Decision help

Sodbuster
04-27-2013, 05:20 PM
I have a nephew who when he was fairly young, went with us to a serve yourself cafeteria. Everyone had gotten their food but him and he was crying.... he had gone through the line three times, had no food and couldn't decide what he wanted as there were so many choices. This is how I feel. I realize that if I just picked one, I'll like any one of them. It is always nice to paddle/row/sail something you built yourself!
I have wanted to build a sailboat for some time. I have tried to talk myself into buying a used fiberglass boat since you can get one pretty cheap (apparently not working). I have built numerous kayaks and an 18 foot dory. I am comfortable with the general building part. I am a teacher so I have much building time in the summer and much less during the school year (plus I don't have a heated shop). If I decided quickly I could start building this spring yet.
Choices: B and B Belhaven 19
Princess 22
Thomasson Sharpie 600
Chebacco

I want to have unstayed mast (s)
Which one is the easiest/fastest to build? I am not against building the smallest one thinking it might be cheaper but by how much, you know?
From an "I just like it" standpoint, I would choose the Thomasson.
The Chebacco strikes me as being the slowest to build, looks more putzy.
Thanks for any advice up front and thanks for advice to those who have helped in the past.

Sod

Jamie Orr
04-27-2013, 05:48 PM
1. Pick one (sounds like you're almost there)
2. Build it
3. Go sailing
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 until satisfied.

Good luck!

Jamie
(satisfied Chebacco sailor)

Sodbuster
04-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks Phil! This made me laugh. We have teased my nephew for years (he is now 40). Any boat recommendations?