PDA

View Full Version : Abranet and Porter Cable 390 Sander

lesharo
04-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Hello, does anyone have any familiarity with Abranet? I just bought some for a hull I'm doing. I hope it's good, but will know as soon as it gets here. There is some amount of hype about it but have never talked to anyone who's used it. Only heard from a vender. I got the heavy duty whatever that is, but it seemed like the logical choice.

PC 390
Is he pad interchangeable with the old PC 5" and the Dewalt 5"? The older or former or whatever Dewalts and PC pads were interchangeable, the 3 screw hookups. I know, I can check myself and I will. Thank you and happy sanding.

jim_cricket
04-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Abranet is great stuff, if a little pricey. The nice thing is, the hook and loop discs fit any sander out there, no holes to line up. We mostly use the finer grits for finishing in my shop, and also use a hook and loop hand sander http://www.supergrit.com/products/products_accessories-handpads.asp with the discs. You'll like it. You might also like the 4 1/2" rolls of abranet, for hand pads or half sheet sanders. Its great for Festool sanders, because you don't need to buy their proprietary paper!

ZachE
04-26-2013, 11:20 AM
It is good stuff, I use it.

Try it on the PC sander. The HD stuff on needs an interface pad to run as its much more open weave than the normal stuff so your velcro backer pad gets eaten up without a disposable interface between it. The 40HD and 80HD grit can be used on the 5 and 6 inch on the identical sander to yours except in yellow from dewalt. It taxes the sander pretty hard.

What I've settled with is using 80, 120, 180 (it lasts longer than 3M by... I'd say 3 sheets to 1) from Mirca on the electric orbital sanders and then switch back to 3M gold hookit for 220 and 320 for higher grits as I don't have a vacuum system that works well enough to use it, and can't take advantage of the mesh design in the higher grits, they just load up without vacuum.

The 40HD and 80HD gets pushed by hand on 3M marine hookit fairing boards 4 1/2 wide by 30 long, as well as the 2 3/4 by 16 1/2 boards for the brunt of fairing work. It is faster than trying to use an electric sander, to get the brunt of the work done fair and true... until you get up to 8 inch air mud hogs and orbital inlines for stuff that is truly flat.

The 40HD grit bogs down my 8 inch makita pad sanders. It works them harder than they deserve so I went back to 3M green 40 grit paper. (To be honest, it also was working me harder than I want to for a full shift even if they do cut faster it takes a fair bit shoulder effort and concentration to keep from digging low spots. 80HD is somewhere between a 40 grit 3M and 80 Grit 3M by my sense.

I can't find it often enough to stock it, but Norton Blue Mag in 40 grit is the Cadillac of 40 grit, It lasts even longer than mirca. But at $55 for a box of 25 plus shipping and "whenever it gets here" ordering... I can't stock it often enough to keep it around the shop and keep the touch and feel steady, so I have resolved myself that 3M green production paper will be.

I'm tempted to try the Mirca Ceros sander, if and when I have the free capital... because if it can push 40HD to its full potential, then I'll put away my mini-grinder for scooping out low spots.

Zach

lesharo
04-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Thank you, very knowledgeable and informative.