PDA

View Full Version : Take your child to work day

Katherine
04-25-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure this is a very good idea, but that's what day it is here. Have to remember to watch what I say today.:o

Steve McMahon
04-25-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm not sure this is a very good idea, but that's what day it is here. Have to remember to watch what I say today.:o

Is Paul behaving himself? I bet you just put him at an empty desk in the corner with an internet connected computer terminal to keep him busy.

Curtism
04-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Steve stole my breeze. :)

Chip-skiff
04-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Don't have a child and I work at home.

But the dear doggo is snoozing at my side.

That'll have to do, I guess.

S.V. Airlie
04-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Kat..watch to multi syllable words or the very short ones you use with Paul?:)

ron ll
04-25-2013, 12:18 PM
I'd have to call a lot of ex girlfriends to find out if I actually had any kids first.

Steve McMahon
04-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Steve stole my breeze. :) Sorry - She had the door wide open and I happened to be standing there.

Katherine
04-25-2013, 12:30 PM
One of the little brats err... darlings, pulled the fire alarm.

S.V. Airlie
04-25-2013, 12:33 PM
NOT a good idea. How old was this little darling?i

Chip-skiff
04-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Wonder how this works out at the Pentagon, CIA, air control towers, etc.

Katherine
04-25-2013, 12:36 PM
NOT a good idea. How old was this little darling?i
Don't know, but it's cold and wet outside.

TomF
04-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Up here, the "take your kid to work day" happens only for grade 9 students.

Mrleft8
04-25-2013, 02:17 PM
I'd have to call a lot of ex girlfriends to find out if I actually had any kids first.

Probably not a good idea, unless you think one of them might be old and wealthy enough to keep you in the style to which you've become accustom.... :D

seanz
04-25-2013, 04:47 PM
One of the little brats err... darlings, pulled the fire alarm.

Take your child to the police station day?

S.V. Airlie
04-25-2013, 07:19 PM
A 9th grader! He needs to have his parents tell him in no uncertain words that pulling a fire alarm is not funny, is not a joke, and I suspect even illegal. His parents should give the FD a check,( coming out of his pocket, not mummy's,) for say $500.00 for the inconvenience he caused the department.

George Jung
04-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Yeah. That'll work. Civic responsibility in a, what, 14 yo? What could possibly go wrong? Even I, saint-like that I am, might've pulled some bonehead moves at that age (I didn't, but I could have)

bamamick
04-25-2013, 09:20 PM
My wife brought my kids out to the plant once on a night shift, to bring me something to eat. When they asked me what all the smoke was they could see from their seats in the mini-van I absentmindedly told them 'oh girls, that's just steam (which is was. Steam traps blowing down to atmosphere). Ever since then my kids tell people that their dad makes steam.

I really would have liked to have brought them in and shown then how we do what we do. I think it would have been neat, but they never got the chance to see it. You don't let a bunch of little kids into a chemical plant without a lot of thought beforehand.

Mickey Lake

S.V. Airlie
04-25-2013, 09:29 PM
One can't just say "Oh hum." and what a good little darling he is." Maybe some think that he should not be punished in some fashion but, I think the little squirt should. He may never do it again!

Rich Jones
04-25-2013, 10:02 PM
A 9th grader! He needs to have his parents tell him in no uncertain words that pulling a fire alarm is not funny, is not a joke, and I suspect even illegal. His parents should give the FD a check,( coming out of his pocket, not mummy's,) for say $500.00 for the inconvenience he caused the department.

Katherine never said how old the kid was. The 9th grader remark was by another poster talking about "child to work day".

TomF
04-26-2013, 06:17 AM
When it was my youngest's turn last Fall, he was one of about a dozen in my workplace. HR ran a program for them in the morning, with various program heads coming in to talk about what they did. Came and scooped up my lad for 30 minutes so he could join me in a briefing with our Deputy, then in the afternoon we headed out to part of a summit on Seniors' issues that happened to be on.

In contrast, when it was my eldest's turn, she'd sweetly told me that she'd seen me sit in front of a computer before. And went to her former elementary school to play with the kindergarten kids :D

T

Meli
04-26-2013, 06:59 AM
I used to take Lauren in to work when she was about 9 months old.
tucked her under my desk when she slept, on a rug in my supervisors office when she was playing.
Steve had kids of his own and was happy with it.
once the fuss and cooing died down it worked quite well one day per week.
I only worked 4 hrs per day.

S.V. Airlie
04-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Katherine never said how old the kid was. The 9th grader remark was by another poster talking about "child to work day".
Tall enough to pull the lever. Strong enough to pull the lever..Ninth grade, seems about right. Personally, I really don't think the age is as it is obvious, you all appear to think pulling a fire alarm is no big thing; a prank, a joke, just "kid" stuff.Funny even!

Katherine
04-26-2013, 11:52 AM
cur·mud·geona crusty (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/crusty), ill-tempered, and usually old man

S.V. Airlie
04-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Say what you like Kat. I'm not a pushover as most here seem to be. I rarely am ill tempered and I'm not old enough even to get SS. So, I ain't old. There is something called "nipping something in the bud" or "actions have consequences". If there are no consequences for one's behavior even at 12 or older, the next attempt at a similar prank might put the kid in jail. Do you or did you even think of the consequences of the "darling" pull the fire alarm? Don't think so. May as well send him into a movie theater and have him yell,"Fire!".

MiddleAgesMan
04-26-2013, 02:19 PM
This thread could have had legs if you'd just let Mr. Airlie run with the ninth-grader version. :)

S.V. Airlie
04-26-2013, 02:24 PM
The age where children are often taken to work day was given in a post by SOMEONE ELSE..NOT ME!

Peerie Maa
04-26-2013, 02:42 PM
The age where children are often taken to work day was given in a post by SOMEONE ELSE..NOT ME!

and then you put 2 and 2 together and got 5 or 7 or 111 or. . . .

S.V. Airlie
04-26-2013, 04:46 PM
So, you join the rest. You just condone this action. Think it's a prank,you think it's funny, think it's no big deal. Figures. I bet you have no control of your kids, don't bother instilling right and wrong because you don't appear to know the difference. I bet you wouldn't mind if a kid takes a gun to class as long as you are not in it.

MiddleAgesMan
04-26-2013, 07:51 PM
I told you the thread would have legs...Now we're off and running in several new directions. :)

Meli
04-26-2013, 08:01 PM
So, you join the rest. You just condone this action. Think it's a prank,you think it's funny, think it's no big deal. Figures. I bet you have no control of your kids, don't bother instilling right and wrong because you don't appear to know the difference. I bet you wouldn't mind if a kid takes a gun to class as long as you are not in it.

Jamie.
the kid may have been 5.
ooh, I wonder what this thing is for?? Health kids are curious kids.

if employers are going to participate in these family friendly token gestures, they need to be alert to the possibility of kids curiosity and take appropriate steps and provide appropriate superision.

capisch?

MiddleAgesMan
04-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Don't hold your breath, Meli. He doesn't seem to read very well.