Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willmarsh3
    • Sep 2004

Fuel Barge explosion in Mobile, AL

Three people were hurt in a fuel barge explosion on the east side of Mobile River on Wednesday night, Mobile Fire-Rescue reported.

***Contact Brett Adair at [email protected] for licensing***This evening John Sibley is on the scene of barge explosions on the Mobile River. Three ar...

This is getting international coverage
    Firefighters on Thursday extinguished a huge blaze that erupted hours earlier when two fuel barges exploded in Mobile, Ala., leaving three people with critical burns and forcing the evacuation of crew from a nearby cruise ship.
    Will
  • skuthorp
    • Jan 2002

Re: Fuel Barge explosion in Mobile, AL

Yup, big item on our news here too.
    Don't you think that regular fireworks would have been safer?

Comment

• WX
      Uki NSW Australia
      • Feb 2002

It's becoming a habit, one wonder what is going to go bang next.
      Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• Ian McColgin
        • Apr 1999

So much for Oil Recovery Company's 'Zero Lost Time' record.

Barge and other container cleaning is one of those incredibly important and dangerous parts of the petro-industry to which not enough attention is paid, except at times like this.

Comment

• bamamick
          • Nov 2003

Felt it at the house, about 25 miles away as a crow flies.

I pray for the recovery of those people injured. Having been injured once myself in a solvent flash fire I can tell you that the pain they are in is unimaginable. (although I am assuming they are heavily sedated, but we don't have any details on their injuries).

Mickey Lake
          'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Comment

• hokiefan
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Ian McColgin
            So much for Oil Recovery Company's 'Zero Lost Time' record.

Barge and other container cleaning is one of those incredibly important and dangerous parts of the petro-industry to which not enough attention is paid, except at times like this.
            Having been involved in this for 25+ years, cleaning a hazardous material tank is difficult. There are many, many ways to screw up. And putting people in those tanks compounds the number of ways.

That said, if you want to feel you hind-quarters pucker just think about signing that hot-work permit on the tank that last contained a flammable material. They can stinking wait another half hour while I walk over the area and think through it one (or three) last times.

Cheers,

Bobby

Comment

• bamamick
              • Nov 2003

Yep. Once you introduce oxygen there is almost nothing you can do to make it 100% safe, especially in a case where a simple level 'A' suit is not going to save you if something bad happens. I have permitted things like this many time (with solvent storage tanks), and it is never a comfortable feeling.

Mickey Lake

Comment

• willmarsh3
                • Sep 2004

I wish those injured a quick recovery. Hopefully no more things going bang for a while.
                Will

Comment

• WX
                  Uki NSW Australia
                  • Feb 2002

I've experienced burns, the worst to my left hand while messing with homemade gunpower as a kid. The pain is intense.
                  Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                    • May 2002

Originally posted by WX
                    I've experienced burns, the worst to my left hand while messing with homemade gunpower as a kid. The pain is intense.
                    not to mention all that salt in the wound...
                    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
                    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• bamamick
                      • Nov 2003

On the lighter side, we were saying today at work that they need to haul the Carnival 'Triumph' the heck out of here. Seems like one bad thing after another has hit town since they dragged that floating potty in here.

Mickey Lake

Comment

• Jimmy W
                        SE USA MS or sometimes GA
                        • Feb 2010

I had a friend of mine killed in a fuel barge explosion. It also killed the Marine Chemist who was there to certify that it was safe to weld on the barge and if I remember correctly it killed the welder who set it off.

Comment

Working...