PDA

View Full Version : "Deck" Paint?

Dave R
04-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Sorry. This isn't strictly a boat building question but I've exhausted my other sources and figure someone here has to have a good suggestion.

We had a screen porch added to the back of our home and I'm looking for a coating to put on the floor. The contractor put down treated OSB (glued and screwed to the joists) and because he was convinced we'd change our minds and turn it into a four season room, made it flat. Of course it rains in and the water just stands on it. We wound up putting a coat of oil-based paint on it to protect it however it hasn't helped a lot. Water got in at the seams and the OSB has swelled up.

I'd like to sand the floor a bit to level it and then I guess paint it with something durable and water proof. This is where I need suggestions. Would a deck paint of some sort be appropriate? If so, what? It is exposed to Minnesota winters and summers so whatever we do will have to be able to handle that.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6085/6044111456_071b89a2b5.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8294157@N08/6044111456/)
This is from the building process.

paul oman
04-24-2013, 10:34 AM
I would suggest you seal with a solvent free epoxy floor paint (Industrial Floor Epoxy) then top that with self stick vinyl floor tiles for the nice look you want without concern about rain and snow

Dave R
04-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks Paul.

I'd like to use some vinyl product but everything I've found says "no" to outdoor applications like this.

jackster
04-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Dave R,
Nice addition, looks like a pleasant place to relax.
Seems to me, that even if you protect the floor as is suggested, you will still have water puddled on the floor, and up against the wall finish at the junction of wall and floor.
Even if the floor were sloped as usual, there is no where for the water to go because of the design.
Looks to me that you need to stop the water from coming in (windows;storm sash and /or door?).
My 2 cents, Best of luck.

Dave R
04-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Jackster, actually the floor was held back from the bottom plate on the three exterior sides and it is open so water could run out. The intent is to leave the wall boards up off the floor a bit so water could go out if it was pushed. I do know that water will get in but I'm loathe to install windows because what we want is a screen porch and not a glassed in porch. I've considered some sort of awnings but on the sides under the soffits there's almost no space for anything above the screens. Here's a view from outside:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6078/6047752124_4c398f12eb.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8294157@N08/6047752124/)

It is indeed a very relaxing place. My favorite place to be besides on my boat. In the summer I often come home from work and head right out there. I wind up staying there until bed time.

David, I'll ask. I didn't use that word before. Maybe it'll make a difference.

GregH
04-24-2013, 11:46 AM
I can't believe that a (knowledgeable????) contractor would install OSB - treated or not - in an area that may be exposed to moisture - especially as a "finished" floor.

jackster
04-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Dave R,
Well, certainly a "out of the box" design!
I love it. You and your contractor did good!
However, I am still a little confused about this. If the sub/finish floor (the green OSB) is held back from the walls, does that not leave gaps open to the ground (and filled with screening, of course.)? If so, the water would drip through.
Soo.. obviously, that is not how it is! ...mmm? What's up?

Dave R
04-24-2013, 12:38 PM
@David: Good idea. I'll float that one by him and see what he says.

@Greg: That's what I thought but by the time I found out it was kind of too late to do anything else without tearing out the joists, too, and lowering them.

@Jackster: Thank you. There is indeed a gap of about 1/2 inch. No screens yet until I sort out what's happening with the floor. Water would indeed drip through IF you push it over to the edge. As I wrote originally, the floor is flat. Well, that's not quite right. The edges of the OSB have swelled from getting wet so the floor is more like a bunch of very shallow rectangular bowls.

paul oman
04-24-2013, 12:41 PM
nice screen room. Area under it is just crying out for a few kayaks or canoes to be stored there!

Sea Dreams
04-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Here's an idea (http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/lee92.html). Probably not what you were looking for but you never know.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

Bob Cleek
04-24-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm not a contractor and I'm certainly not familiar with your area's weather challenges, but I'd say that your contractor was right to use OSB for a "four season room" which he expected you would eventually want. He was wrong, however, that you'd decide to go with a four season room before the water got to the OSB. If it were minor, I'd say, yea, sand it and seal it, but with standing water you aren't ever going to get the OSB sealed, particularly on the edges, as you now can see, and the swelling and delamination is going to continue. I'd say your choices are to sand the OSB and turn it into an enclosed weatherproof "four season's room" or pull up the OSB and lay proper outdoor rated plywood and then coat that well with one of the weatherproof deck coating products, such as an elastomeric deck paint. The problem is that OSB. It's just not designed to get wet and certainly not to hold standing water.

There are some alternatives, perhaps. I'd talk to a roofer before anybody else. Perhaps the OSB can be sanded and sealed and wrapped in Tyvek (waterproofing "paper") and roofing paper laid on top of that and then a think layer of underlayment and grouted tile laid on that substrate. If properly laid and an eye kept on the grout condition, the tile might give you that waterproof surface you need. Think "bathroom floor." The outside edges of the OSB/underlayment can be sealed with metal weatherstripping set in mastic.

Or, Jackster's solution below, which I would myself consider the best option, assuming you have the framing in place to accommodate the solid wood decking. It needn't be T&G, either. Out west, we just use 2 X 6's with a nail's width space between them for decking. The water drains straight through.

jackster
04-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Dave R,
Well, given the parameters that exist, the area is mostly a covered porch, which would mean T&G flooring.
My suggestion is to remove the (offending) OSB and put in Ipe T&G, with S/S screws, left untreated or use a renewable sealer. Wax all end cuts.
And live with having to sweep the water into the gutters a few time a year. Also, use some wall covering that is mildew resistant.
Thats the best I can do. :) Cheers

Dave R
04-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks, gentlemen.

I have more investigating to do.

Sea Dreams
02-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Interesting. Do you have any experience with them? I might be give it a try. :D

No, I never tried that idea but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian