PDA

View Full Version : You know you're a college football junkie when...

hokiefan
04-24-2013, 03:02 AM
You know you're a college football junkie when you stay up late watching the replay of your team's spring game...

Curtism
04-24-2013, 03:22 AM
You didn't, did you? Dude, you might need an intervention.

In fairness, I'll admit to having watched re-runs of championship games my team played in though. Does that count?

hokiefan
04-24-2013, 03:27 AM
You didn't, did you? Dude, you might need an intervention.

In fairness, I'll admit to having watched re-runs of championship games my team played in though. Does that count?

Hey, its a 10+ hour drive so I couldn't make the party. Watching the youtube catches me up. Surprise, surprise... The defense looks really good, the offense not so much.

What can I say???

Curtism
04-24-2013, 04:08 AM
I've re- habbed and don't follow it as close as I used to but I know all the tell-tale signs of addiction. It never got so bad that I had a picture of Steve Spurrier hanging on the wall or anything.

Older Bro is UF alumn and still drives from Lunchbag to Cowtown (Gainesville) at least once or twice a year to catch games at the swamp. If they play somewhere close like Georgia or Carolina he'll travel to see them play there. So, yea, I get it.

hokiefan
04-24-2013, 04:20 AM
Way back in the old days when Steve Superior coached the Gators, I worked with Cock fan named Rusty. Since the Gators pounded the Cocks in those days, Sir Rusty despised the Old Ball Coach.

Fast forward a few years, things have changed, and now the Old Ball Coach is coaching the Cocks. So I call Rusty, "What do you think of the Old Ball Coach now?"

"Well he's still an SOB, but he's our SOB now."

Cheers,

Bobby

dollars to donuts half the world has no clue what I just said :D

I am curious where Lunchbag is?

Curtism
04-24-2013, 04:47 AM
Ha ha, we liked him plenty when he was our SOB, too.

Lynchburg, home of the Liberty Flames . . . with the big "L" emblazoned on the hill side so large you can see it from the space station.

(Know why they call it Lunchbag? True story, so I'm told. During the big wars the train from basic training camps to the sea port ran through there and the towns folk would go to the station and pass bag lunches to the boys through the windows.)

hokiefan
04-24-2013, 05:03 AM
Been to Lynchburg more than once for YMCA swim meets when I was growing up...

And been through more than a dozen times between the 'Burg and home.

Curtism
04-24-2013, 05:21 AM
Interesting. A niece and 2 nephews, all swimmers, grew up at the Y there, went to VCU and two of them ended up working at the Y in Richmond as instructors. The older boy was coaching teams for them and parlayed his background into a gig in the Caribbean running a swimming program and teaching well to do ex-pats' kids how to swim. Lucky dog there . . . he's loving that.

hokiefan
04-24-2013, 05:41 AM
Swimming runs in my family, although I got the short end of it. All of my uncles were big time swimmers in Richmond, Va at Ginter Park. One went to NC State on a swimming scholarship, swam the fly. A cousin was seriously big-time for a moment, holding 4 Va state records at about 15 years old. Had Olympic dreams, till mono struck...

Me, I won Most Improved my first year. Translated to mean I sucked in the beginning but was coachable. More like the prevention of drowning instinct... In later years I became a tennis player of sorts, swimming was a reasonably enjoyable way to stay in shape in the cold season.

Cheers,

Bobby

Paul Pless
04-24-2013, 05:45 AM
Me, I won Most Improved my first year. ouch

hokiefan
04-24-2013, 05:49 AM
ouch

Least I didn't drown.

Or quit...

bogdog
04-24-2013, 07:11 AM
dollars to donuts half the world has no clue what I just said :D

I am curious where Lunchbag is?

Ya'll are talking about soccer right?

Tom@NC
04-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Good afternoon, hokiefan!

Did you have any idea from other media how your team had performed in the spring game prior to staying up late to watch the rerun? If so you may truly be in need of an intervention.
I am one of the few who know what a "hokie" is so I can understand your hope.

Have fun,
Tom

bamamick
04-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Let me tell you what I see as I look around my office: FIVE ceramic mugs celebrating national championships. SEVEN framed prints by the artist Daniel Moore depicting just a few of the highlights of Alabama athletics over the past few years. An Alabama football helmet. A small bronze bust of Coach Paul Bryant. A signed baseball from the Crimson Tide baseball team.

I also have photos of my parents, my wife and kids, and some pelicans sitting on pilings near Point Clear, Alabama. But yeah, I think that that qualifies as overkill. But you know, the 'Alabama' part of my life is connected to my workplace in a way that the other, perhaps more 'sane' parts of the world can't be (because how many people actually know anything about sailing? racing sailboats? racing WOODEN sailboats? Heck, even my sailing friends think I am nuts, so how would it be around all of these deer hunters, turkey hunters, inshore and offshore fishermen?).

As I have tried to explain before, the ability to wholeheartedly cheer for an athletic team is a tremendous stress-reliever in a world with too much stress in it. And as long as you don't get carried away, you don't harm another soul by doing it. I know it can get to be too much, and for those who don't care for team sports it most likely seems non-sensical, but for me it works.

Mickey Lake

bamamick
04-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Oh, no! I never graduated from any school. Two years at Spring Hill College (the Jesuit college of the South!), one year at the University of South Alabama, and several classes at Faulkner State CC in Fairhope and Bay Minette, Ala..

I was just raised an Alabama fan.

Mickey Lake

hokiefan
04-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Good afternoon, hokiefan!

Did you have any idea from other media how your team had performed in the spring game prior to staying up late to watch the rerun? If so you may truly be in need of an intervention.
I am one of the few who know what a "hokie" is so I can understand your hope.

Have fun,
Tom

Well, the other place on the innertubes that I hang out is TechSideLine.com where I have a paid subscription. So I pretty much knew what I was going to see. That said, it wasn't as bad as the wrist-slashers were crying. We will be better than last year, although our opener against Alabama could be a long night.

Cheers,

Bobby