PDA

View Full Version : Water-Based S3 Silvertip Yacht Enamel?

Tallman
04-23-2013, 04:16 PM
I saw some by System Three that wasn't that smelly, supposedly, and thins with water. Has anyone used it, and how does it compare with one-part ployurethanes like Interlux?
Thanks,
Tallman

KMacDonald
04-23-2013, 06:49 PM
I have used it. It is great. No need to prime over bare epoxy. It is tougher than Brightsides and easy to use and clean up. Paint on a very humid day so paint will flatten out. I won't use anything else anymore.

donald branscom
04-23-2013, 07:34 PM
There was a test in a boat magazine of 8 different one part polyurethanes and Petit EasyPoxy was the winner.

"Silver Tip" oh brother!!! LOL..lol.lol

donald branscom
04-23-2013, 07:35 PM
I have used it. It is great. No need to prime over bare epoxy. It is tougher than Brightsides and easy to use and clean up. Paint on a very humid day so paint will flatten out. I won't use anything else anymore.

You may not have to prime over the epoxy but it needs to be scuffed up.

James McMullen
04-23-2013, 07:39 PM
I like the waterborne LPU paints from System Three very much as well. Substantially less poisonous and unpleasant, though they do require you to adjust and hone your technique differently from solvent borne polys. If you haven't already rigidified your technique and habits (while melting your brain cells) with the nasty stuff, you'll have an easier time adapting.

Tallman
04-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Well, this is a first time build and first time painting. I will prime so I get a smoother finish and mostly uniform under color for some sort of white final color. Basically going from internet videos for technique. KMacDonald mentions humidity -- I'm in L.A. and there is none. Will that be an issue? James-- is there something different in applying this versus regular roll and tip (or brush and tip)?
Thanks

Tallman
04-23-2013, 08:04 PM
The stuff I'm considering is called "Yacht Enamel" and I think it's just one part and not LPU. It's cheaper than Brightsides. Or are LPU also enamels?

KMacDonald
04-23-2013, 08:31 PM
The stuff I'm considering is called "Yacht Enamel" and I think it's just one part and not LPU. It's cheaper than Brightsides. Or are LPU also enamels?

I thought they only make WR-LPU. I should have mentioned it covers real well also. Brightsides needs 4 or 5 coats to cover vs two for WR-LPU.

As for humidity, you can spray the garage floor with water before painting to add humidity to the air and reduce dust. You could also thin the paint slightly with water.

I have used EasyPoxy, Brightsides, and WR-LPU. I won't use anything except WR-LPU now. Easier to use and clean up plus is more durable.

spirit
04-24-2013, 09:55 AM
The LPU water-based paints from System Three are very easy to use, and apparently non-toxic.
A really nice feature is that they re-coat and touch up well, without making visible overlaps.
I found that two coats of the Whidbey White paint did not perfectly cover epoxy-coated plywood,
so I will tint the epoxy white next time.
The finish is so hard and smooth that it looks like gelcoat.