PDA

View Full Version : NPR says the Russians warned the US

S.V. Airlie
04-23-2013, 08:17 AM
two years ago that the bombers were up to no good and were set on hurting the US. The FBI checked them out and concluded they weren't. Guess what?

skuthorp
04-23-2013, 08:21 AM
Report here that after they travelled back from Chechnia their names were spelt wrongly on the manifest and didn't trigger an alert. That's dumb computers for you.

hokiefan
04-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Only the older brother went back to Russia. He was the one the FBI was warned about, and there was the mispelling issue. From all accounts he was the one who became radicalized, and the little brother is now saying the older one was the ringleader. Of course there is some convenience there. Won't save him from punishment in the end though.

Bobby

Ian McColgin
04-23-2013, 08:37 AM
And he, along with other family members, had been questioned by the FBI. At the time, not so radical. The Russian version of who is or might become a terrorist is even less reliable than our own anyway.

Peach
04-23-2013, 08:39 AM
two years ago that the bombers were up to no good and were set on hurting the US. The FBI checked them out and concluded they weren't. Guess what?

Not entirely accurate. Russia was concerned that Tamerian Tsarnaev posed a danger to Russia, not the US. Dzhokhar (Jokar) Tsarnaev was not named in the information request from Russia.

"The emerging trail of evidence suggests that Russian security forces did indeed warn the FBI (http://www.csmonitor.com/tags/topic/Federal+Bureau+of+Investigation) about the elder of the two brothers accused in the bombing, Tamerlan Tsarnaev (http://www.csmonitor.com/tags/topic/Tamerlan+Tsarnaev). A statement posted on the FBI website (http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/2011-request-for-information-on-tamerlan-tsarnaev-from-foreign-government) admits that "in early 2011, a foreign government asked the FBI for information about Tamerlan Tsarnaev. The request stated that it was based on information that he was a follower of radical Islam and a strong believer, and that he had changed drastically since 2010 as he prepared to leave the United States for travel to the country’s region to join unspecified underground groups."

The statement continues: "The FBI interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev and family members. The FBI did not find any terrorism activity, domestic or foreign." The "foreign government" – which officials have since admitted was Russia – was informed before the matter was subsequently put to rest, it says."

http://news.yahoo.com/us-russia-missed-chances-intercept-tamerlan-tsarnaev-155330203.html

LeeG
04-23-2013, 08:40 AM

Whaaat?

David W Pratt
04-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Sku-
When I misspell something Google asks me "did you mean______?"

S/V Laura Ellen
04-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Report here that after they travelled back from Chechnia their names were spelt wrongly on the manifest and didn't trigger an alert. That's dumb computers for you.

You're correct...Computers are dumb.
The programs can make them useful, the degree of usefulness is dependant on the quality of the programming.
It is also important that the user know how to effectively use the program.

I would say that, in this case, it wasn't a computer problem, but a human failing.

Osborne Russell
04-23-2013, 09:53 AM
two years ago that the bombers were up to no good and were set on hurting the US. The FBI checked them out and concluded they weren't.

So what?

S.V. Airlie
04-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Well if the information was given to the US but, the fear was that Russia was the potential target (not the US) why did Russia warn the US?

Phillip Allen
04-23-2013, 10:44 AM
the primary thing I want to say is: How much have we spent on Homeland Security so far?

ccmanuals
04-23-2013, 10:45 AM
the primary thing I want to say is: How much have we spent on Homeland Security so far?

How much have we spent on cancer research? What is the point of your question?

ahp
04-23-2013, 10:51 AM
According to today's NYT's, the FBI has told agitated members of congress they had no further legal justification to continue their surveillance.

Gerarddm
04-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Lot of angst here over not much:

A) The FBI interviewed them TWO YEARS AGO, not last week. What, you think people can't evolve/mutate in two years?

B) The Russians didn't warn us, they asked about him for their own concerns.

Not withstanding all of that, a general inquiry should be made about how these inquiries are handled and archived. To me, given the record of militant Islam, I'd have a propensity to be wary of young ethnic men spending lots of time in militant-influenced areas.

Phillip Allen
04-23-2013, 10:55 AM
How much have we spent on cancer research? What is the point of your question?

I was wondering if we could get our money back... you didn't see where that was going? Really?

Rum_Pirate
04-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Phillip Allen http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
(http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=3767871#post3767871)the primary thing I want to say is: How much have we spent on Homeland Security so far?How much have we spent on cancer research? What is the point of your question? Sounds like a unrealistic comparison, even a diversionary red herring which is posted as in . . .

http://writerroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/RedHerringBlurb.png

Canoeyawl
04-23-2013, 11:22 AM

How much has been spent lobbying for the second amendment so far?

Phillip Allen
04-23-2013, 11:23 AM

the tax payer spends the money on lobbying? In that regard, 'we' haven't spent anything

Osborne Russell
04-23-2013, 11:23 AM

How much money has been made lobbying for the second amendment so far?

Canoeyawl
04-23-2013, 11:36 AM
the tax payer spends the money on lobbying? In that regard, 'we' haven't spent anything

I guess all those congress critters and their entourage work for free.

Bob Adams
04-23-2013, 11:39 AM
I can't believe nobody's figured out a way to blame Bush or Cheney yet.

Phillip Allen
04-23-2013, 11:42 AM
I can't believe nobody's figured out a way to blame Bush or Cheney yet.

well, the Patriot act is his fault... and it has a strangle hold on Obama now as he can't get rid of it

S.V. Airlie
04-23-2013, 12:18 PM
the tax payer spends the money on lobbying? In that regard, 'we' haven't spent anythingNot the tax payers. The big companies organizations like the NRA and, Haliburton (SP). Of course the NRA in this example gets their money from tax payers.

S.V. Airlie
04-23-2013, 12:20 PM
So what?I can say the same for about 90% of the threads here which includes yours.

Phillip Allen
04-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Not the tax payers. The big companies organizations like the NRA and, Haliburton (SP). Of course the NRA in this example gets their money from tax payers.

taxes or people who also pay taxes?... let us not confound the two

Mrleft8
04-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Oh BOY! A TWOOFER!!!!!! :D :rolleyes:

hokiefan
04-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Oh BOY! A TWOOFER!!!!!! :D :rolleyes:

Oh Gawd... I can't see straight :d

Osborne Russell
04-23-2013, 10:02 PM
I can say the same for about 90% of the threads here which includes yours.

I just thought maybe you had something to say on the relevance of this to something.