PDA

View Full Version : Printer ink cartridges

ron ll
04-22-2013, 03:18 PM
My HP photosmart premium printer has been telling me all 5 ink cartridges are low and it finally quit printing. I went to Office Depot and picked out all 5 XL cartridges and took them to the register. It would have been close to $100. I just couldn't do it so I put them back. I got the 5 empties out of the printer and took them to a local refill service. He weighed each cartridge and told me all were almost full except the main black. He said that that one is the one that has the HP chip on it and when it is empty the printer software says all are empty. So he replaced only the black cartridge, total cost $16.

Paul Pless
04-22-2013, 03:25 PM
what a scam

Dan McCosh
04-22-2013, 03:41 PM
About two years ago, I was looking at a $75 bill for ink for an Epson cartridge, bought a Kodak printer instead for $100, and the cartridges now are $20.

Paul Pless
04-22-2013, 03:42 PM
I haven't bought a printer in years, what's the latest, best thoughts on alternatives to color ink jet? If you aren't interest in printing photos, where do laser printers stand with regards to initial cost and toner. It used to be laser printers were much more expensive but the toner was cheaper - they also gave a higher quality text print.

John of Phoenix
04-22-2013, 03:57 PM
I recently bought a Brother all in one inkjet (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005K95UI8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with WiFi for $115. Two sets of cartridges (http://www.amazon.com/LC75-MFC-J5910DW-MFC-J6510DW-MFC-J6710DW-MFC-J6910DW/dp/B005ZHHVSW/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_y)for $7. Free shipping on both. I love Amazon.

tizziec
04-22-2013, 04:13 PM
I just refill them at $10 a cartridge with no complaints

SMARTINSEN
04-22-2013, 04:22 PM
I haven't bought a printer in years, what's the latest, best thoughts on alternatives to color ink jet? If you aren't interest in printing photos, where do laser printers stand with regards to initial cost and toner. It used to be laser printers were much more expensive but the toner was cheaper - they also gave a higher quality text print.

There was a very recent thread on this, probably when Norman moved his printer, as he alluded above, and complained about it then:D

Chip-skiff
04-22-2013, 04:26 PM
I recently bought a Brother all in one inkjet (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005K95UI8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with WiFi for $115. Two sets of cartridges (http://www.amazon.com/LC75-MFC-J5910DW-MFC-J6510DW-MFC-J6710DW-MFC-J6910DW/dp/B005ZHHVSW/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_y)for $7. Free shipping on both. I love Amazon.

After feeding the ink habit of a Canon PIXMA inkjet since 2005, at about $60 for a set of five, I finally got a Brother similar to John's.

Most printers require proprietary cartridges, which is what provides the cashflow: they sell the printers cheap. Brother has broken the unspoken pact by setting their printers up to use third-party cartridges and refilling by the user (don't do it in the house). So far, so good.

Phillip Allen
04-22-2013, 04:37 PM
hp must be part of the evil proletariat

pumpkin
04-22-2013, 06:20 PM
I ordered 5 pints of ink and a chip resetter for $100 and refill my own for my inkjet. For black and white I use a brother laser printer that costs about $30 for 5000 pages. For it I order 5 toner cartridges at a time when Newegg has a sale. I'd have to mortgage my house if didn't refill the inkjet cartridges.

Bernadette
04-23-2013, 04:45 AM
i used to use refilled cartridges until error messages kept cropping up and my printer started to falter more and more. in my case the chips on the refilled cartridges was upsetting the printer. no matter how many times i tried to reset the printer it would not work. i had been using refilled cartridges for about 5 years. i have since returned to using brand name cartridges and the printer works all the time without fail. sure they cost more but i usually get them on special anyhow.

John Smith
04-23-2013, 05:55 AM

When we had our taxes done I asked the guy about his printer and ink. He uses a laser. His comment was it cost more, the toner costs more, but it prints a LOT. He was quite certain that it cost him less per page.

ahp
04-23-2013, 10:03 AM
I refill the B/W cartridge for our HP printer. That works fine. I haven't had as much luck with the three color cartridges, so I buy new ones at Wallmart. You can buy refill kits on-line. I did.