Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PhaseLockedLoop
    • Apr 2010

The search for the bad guy in Boston

You'd think that when a suspect flees on foot, and you have a car he's just been in, you could track him with dogs. Or if no dogs can get past the millions of dollars worth of technology, then you might think that someone fleeing on foot would most likely hide in an UN-occupied place, like a shed, a garage, or a BOAT, and you'd put your infra-red detectors on all such places--rather than having hundreds of LE people invade all the OCCUPIED places inside the "perimeter".
    The Case is Altered
  • Hunky Dory
    • Aug 2010

Re: The search for the bad guy in Boston

They reviewed hundreds off hrs. of tapes to identify the suspects in the first place, not to locate them.

Comment

• Phillip Allen
      • May 2002

does the math work?
      The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
      Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• S/V Laura Ellen
        Neither Fair nor Balanced
        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by PhaseLockedLoop
        You'd think that when a suspect flees on foot, and you have a car he's just been in, you could track him with dogs. Or if no dogs can get past the millions of dollars worth of technology, then you might think that someone fleeing on foot would most likely hide in an UN-occupied place, like a shed, a garage, or a BOAT, and you'd put your infra-red detectors on all such places--rather than having hundreds of LE people invade all the OCCUPIED places inside the "perimeter".
        Ain't 20/20 hindsight grand.
        Or he could have been holed up with accomplices, friends, family, or a home invasion, the list is endless.
        Allan of the Grove
        "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

Comment

• JimD
          Senior Mumbler
          • Feb 2002

While watching the stay indoors 'request' and seeing thousands of people comply while hundreds or thousands of cops searched homes and cruised the otherwise deserted streets of Watertown I was quite awestruck. I couldn't decide if it was the finest act of civic cooperation I have ever seen or the scariest act of police state obedience. Whatever it was, it was certainly impressive.
          There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Comment

• ljb5
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by JimD
            While watching the stay indoors 'request' and seeing thousands of people comply while hundreds or thousands of cops searched homes and cruised the otherwise deserted streets of Watertown I was quite awestruck. I couldn't decide if it was the finest act of civic cooperation I have ever seen or the scariest act of police state obedience. Whatever it was, it was certainly impressive.
            A few people here sound like they would have been shoving men off the boats at Dunkirk.

I think people in Boston cooperated with the police because they wanted the killings stopped and the suspects captured.

We don't all hate our government, our communities, nor our fellow man. Cooperation is not a dirty word.
            ”If you look at it from a contextual standpoint, I think it's accurate. If you contextualize in concrete numbers fashion, it's not accurate."

Comment

• Gerarddm
              #RESIST
              • Feb 2010

Civic cooperation. Period.
              Gerard>
              Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• JimD
                Senior Mumbler
                • Feb 2002

Yes, civic cooperation, I agree. Rereading my post I now wish I had worded it differently. What I meant was how similar the two situations can appear.
                There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Comment

• Gerarddm
                  #RESIST
                  • Feb 2010

As a tangential observation, their mother was arrested for shoplifting $1,600 worth of clothes from a Natick, MA Lord & Taylor last year, according to The Daily Mail.
                  Gerard>
                  Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• StevenBauer
                    LPBC member
                    • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Phillip Allen
                    does the math work?
                    Only if you understand math.

Steven

Comment

• Peach
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Gerarddm
                      Civic cooperation. Period.
                      I have to agree.

Also, to me it was an indication that the vast majority of citizens appreciate law enforcement, and are happy to cooperate. The thousands of residents of Watertown cheering law enforcement said it all.

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                        • May 2002

Originally posted by Gerarddm
                        As a tangential observation, their mother was arrested for shoplifting $1,600 worth of clothes from a Natick, MA Lord & Taylor last year, according to The Daily Mail.
                        sounds like a dysfunctional family to me (not saying absolute... just 'sounds like')
                        The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
                        Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• PhaseLockedLoop
                          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by ljb5
                          A few people here sound like they would have been shoving men off the boats at Dunkirk.

I think people in Boston cooperated with the police because they wanted the killings stopped and the suspects captured.

We don't all hate our government, our communities, nor our fellow man. Cooperation is not a dirty word.
                          Oh, I get it. Anyone who has doubts about locking down the whole city and saturating the area with assault-rifle-toting folks doing house-to-house searches--in short, treating the city as a war zone--must hate our government, our communities, and our fellow man.

Go soak your head.

The strategy spread fear and terror, cost appalling amounts of money, cost residents appalling amounts of money and failed to find a 19-year-old kid on foot bleeding heavily from his wounds. Certainly plenty of people were happy to have it end, and happy to have the kid caught, including me. I don't know how many were happy to "cooperate", and neither do you. I've got nothing against the gun-toting guys--they were doing what they were told, which is their job. It's the job that I question.

Perhaps I'm wrong about searching the houses. Not everything on NBC or The Guardian was accurate. They certainly did say that all the houses within the perimeter were being searched, and showed videos of, for example, six or eight bulky armed guys squashed onto a porch and then rushing into the house while the occupants stood outside holding infants. Who knows, maybe these were staged so that the kid, if he was in some house, would move. That would be clever. But the fact that it took many many hours to go through the area indicates to me that they weren't just knocking on doors and asking if there was anything funny going on. Can anyone confirm that they did search houses? If I've got this wrong I'd be happy.

Also, as I understand it, the city was locked down, and the residents were ordered to shelter in place. Anyone who doesn't read an implied threat here is not very sensitive. It was certainly meant as a threat. Cooperation is swell, but when it's under threat of force it loses some of its luster.

I don't know if this was terrorism, but the aim of terrorism is to spread fear and disrupt ordinary life. The bombs struck fear, but the officials spread it and disrupted ordinary life to an extent unknown except in war, and they did not even find their guy.
                          The Case is Altered

Comment

• ljb5
                            • Jan 2004

It's not like this was the first manhunt that has ever been conducted in the US.
                            ”If you look at it from a contextual standpoint, I think it's accurate. If you contextualize in concrete numbers fashion, it's not accurate."

Comment

• Tom Wilkinson
                              • Jun 2000

Originally posted by PhaseLockedLoop
                              Also, as I understand it, the city was locked down, and the residents were ordered to shelter in place. Anyone who doesn't read an implied threat here is not very sensitive. It was certainly meant as a threat. Cooperation is swell, but when it's under threat of force it loses some of its luster.
                              That's incorrect. And fairly easy to verify. I have friends and aquaintances in the area and that isn't what they are saying. It was a shelter in place request. You can read more here. http://nation.time.com/2013/04/19/wa...y-on-lockdown/

It's easy to look back and question the methods. The fact is they caught both of them within a week of the incident. That's pretty damn good.

These are not small towns. Thats a pretty huge search operation. Wer homes searched inside by men carrying guns? Qite possibly. I have not heard a single report of anyone having an issue with how that was carried out. If it were done forcefully I would expect at least one of the familys affected would be speaking up by now.
                              Tom

Comment

Working...