PDA

View Full Version : looking for someone who has built an Acorn 10'2

anitas
01-14-2001, 11:41 AM
Iam building an Acorn 10'2" boat with my dad. He's a builder and I'm a sailor and we need some help translating some of the ideas, plans. I'm in Portland, Maine and he's in Manchester, NH. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Alisa
01-14-2001, 01:07 PM
As a student at the Silva Bay Shipyard school I am part of a team of 4 students building an acorn. We are, however, building our acorn in the traditional manner (3/8" planking instead of glued ply). Even so, I would be happy to offer my 2 cents worth if it would help. Feel free to contact me directly.

landlocked sailor
01-14-2001, 01:47 PM
I built the 8' version "Auk". Rick

Mitch Larsen
01-15-2001, 11:01 AM
I'm a big Oughtred fan and have built several sizes of Acorns and a McGregor Canoe and have started on his Caledonia Yawl. I've also stretched the 10'-2" acorn by 25% and given it a yawl rig as well.You'll find that a lot of folks have built an Acorn at one time or another. Any specific question?

McMichael
01-15-2001, 11:27 AM
anitas, e'd ya a pic of CHELSEA. She's a dream under oars. A lot of shared techniques in Iain's boats. Any questions, just ask.

saildaboat
03-08-2011, 11:29 AM
I have a question on the Acorn (7'2") which uses 8 foot sheets of plywood. Is the spacing of the moulds 10 7/8" apart or on center? - Also what iare the distances for the stem to station 1 and station 7 to the transom?

Thanks - Mark

Torna
03-08-2011, 02:25 PM
To answer your question re spacing generally - and not specific to Acorn.
The quoted station spacing means line to line. Now in the front half* of the boat the moulds are set with their forward surface at the station line. In the rear half* of the boat moulds are set with their aft surface at the station line. Thus, as the 'planks' are bent on, they will contact the moulds AT the station lines. This also means that the thickness of the moulds doesn't matter - all the information is carried by the forward (or aft) surface edge of the mould.

* And 'half' doesn't necessarily mean =half. It means forward or aft of the point of maximum beam - which is usually more than halfway aft from the stem.

-leif

saildaboat
03-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Ahhh, this makes total sense - Thanks!