PDA

View Full Version : A massive media failure

ccmanuals
04-17-2013, 07:12 PM
So CNN reports that a "dark skinned individual" has been arrested. Then Fox picks this up and runs with it with CNN most of the day. Over a thousand people show up at the police station.

Finally, they all have to back track and say they were wrong.

I see 2 problems here. Problem number one is news agencies in their zeal to be first get it wrong. Both of these news outlets did the exact same thing with Gabby Giffords.

Problem number two is what is the new value of describing this supposed arrested person as a "dark skinned individual" other than to fuel the idea that this was perpetrated by a Muslim.

This is despicable journalism at best.

MiddleAgesMan
04-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Yep.

Minnesnowtan
04-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Dark skinned, hmmm, maybe this person had a really good tan! Must be at one of those new places that have the new bulbs??? Come on, talk about jumping to conclusions of you thinking others would jump to conclusions.

Phillip Allen
04-17-2013, 07:33 PM
it's not journalism, it's marketing

skuthorp
04-17-2013, 07:36 PM
A very astute observation Phillip.

Flying Orca
04-17-2013, 07:37 PM

Good Gord, Phillip Alien and I agree on something. Feeping crogeyism...

seanz
04-17-2013, 07:39 PM

That's showbiz, baby!
:(

Glen Longino
04-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Good Gord, Phillip Alien and I agree on something. Feeping crogeyism...

:D:D

TomF
04-17-2013, 07:54 PM
I feep, you feep, he feeps, she feeps.

Nous feepons, vous feepez.. :D.

Phillip Allen
04-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Even a blind squirrel occasionally stumbles onto a nut.

I found YOU didn't I? :)

Flying Orca
04-17-2013, 08:03 PM
I feep, you feep, he feeps, she feeps.

Nous feepons, vous feepez.. :D.

And here I had "feep" pegged as an irregular verb! :d

(The original term is of course "feeping creaturism", an evocative description of software bloat and its hardware counterparts...)

ccmanuals
04-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Dark skinned, hmmm, maybe this person had a really good tan! Must be at one of those new places that have the new bulbs??? Come on, talk about jumping to conclusions of you thinking others would jump to conclusions.

You missed the point. What is the news value of using the term "dark skinned individual?"

skuthorp
04-17-2013, 08:40 PM
I imagine that term applies to a high percentage of the population. But maybe the were skating on thin racial ice seeing they actually knew nothing.

Keith Wilson
04-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Feeping crogeyism...My god, my little meme is mutating! :d

Phillip Allen
04-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Funny..this is the second mention I've seen of CNN of FOX reporting a suspect was either dark-skinned, or a "person of color." I followed them both pretty closely today, and didn't pick up on either of those descriptions...not even once.

did someone lie or just 'see' what they expected to see?

Flying Orca
04-17-2013, 09:12 PM
My god, my little meme is mutating! :d

That's what makes them fun!

Breakaway
04-17-2013, 09:20 PM
It certainly helps to grab attention and audience. No doubt. But I can't help but ask whether there would be such a hue and cry had they reported ( or misreported) that a blond, blue-eyed, fair-skinned person was detained? Would the report then be regarded as a cheap shot, or merely descriptive?

What says the WBF?

Kevin

ccmanuals
04-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Funny..this is the second mention I've seen of CNN of FOX reporting a suspect was either dark-skinned, or a "person of color." I followed them both pretty closely today, and didn't pick up on either of those descriptions...not even once.

CNN on Wednesday backtracked after badly botching a report that a “dark-skinned male” had been arrested in connection with the Monday bombings of the Boston Marathon.

At around 1 p.m. ET, CNN’s John King came on the air to say that “law enforcement sources” had told him that a suspect had been identified based on surveillance video taken from a Boston Lord & Taylor department store.

“I was told they have a breakthrough in the identification of the suspect, and I’m told — and I want to be very careful about this because people get very sensitive when you say these things — I was told by one of these sources who’s a law enforcement official that this was a dark-skinned male,” King reported. “The official used some other words, I’m going to repeat them until we get more information because of the sensitivities. There are some people who will take offense even in saying that.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/17/cnn-bungles-report-of-dark-skinned-male-arrested-in-boston-bombing-case/

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/04/17/john_king_s_boston_mistakes_the_problem_with_ident ifying_a_suspect_as_dark.html

I can post about 50 more sources if you like. Lots of video out there with Megan Fox parroting "dark skinned male".

Gerarddm
04-17-2013, 11:04 PM
Press feeding frenzy is ugly. No wonder popular opinion of the fourth estate has gone down since Watergate.

Phillip Allen
04-18-2013, 06:36 AM
It certainly helps to grab attention and audience. No doubt. But I can't help but ask whether there would be such a hue and cry had they reported ( or misreported) that a blond, blue-eyed, fair-skinned person was detained? Would the report then be regarded as a cheap shot, or merely descriptive?

What says the WBF?

Kevin

I don't know... I'm not suspicious that way

it's more likely to anger enlightenment-nicks trying to out-posture one another

Mrleft8
04-18-2013, 07:16 AM
Megyn Kelly was yapping like a Chihuahua about a "possible young Arab male".

George Jung
04-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Just mulling.. but what would have been an acceptable descriptor for the person of interest seen in the video?

Sometimes I think everyone has gone over the PC cliff. But carry on.

LeeG
04-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Just mulling.. but what would have been an acceptable descriptor for the person of interest seen in the video?

He looked like a piano player?

John Smith
04-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Daily Show on this http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-17-2013/the-most-busted-name-in-news

Hang in for the segment on torture.

TomF
04-18-2013, 08:46 AM
He looked like a piano player?We're a dangerous, unpredictable lot.

LeeG
04-18-2013, 08:56 AM
We're a dangerous, unpredictable lot.

Ok ok how about "the suspect does NOT look like the famous French cyclist Jacques Anquetil "

ccmanuals
04-18-2013, 11:33 AM

How about "male" ? From the description they used it could have been anyone from George Hamilton to Dennis Rodman. Again, how does that advance the news value other than to confirm preconceived suspicions?

ccmanuals
04-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Jon Stewart,

CNN's 'Exclusive Report' Was Exclusive Because It Was 'Completely F**king Wrong'

:)

Breakaway
04-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Again, how does that advance the news value other than to confirm preconceived suspicions?

Because if they stated they were seeking a red-haired, freckled suspect, you wouldnt call the authorities about your dark-skinned, bald neighbor. (just an example)

Kevin

ccmanuals
04-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Because if they stated they were seeking a red-haired, freckled suspect, you wouldnt call the authorities about your dark-skinned, bald neighbor. (just an example)

Kevin

Well, that sure narrows down the field of suspects.

Breakaway
04-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Well, that sure narrows down the field of suspects.

Sarcasm noted. But guess what? That's how its done.

Kevin

PhaseLockedLoop
04-18-2013, 01:53 PM

Are we talking about someone they were interested in? I thought they were describing someone who was detained, in which case the description would be irrelevant. Especially since nobody was detained.

Most everyone is politically correct. Their policies differ, though.

ccmanuals
04-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Sarcasm noted. But guess what? That's how its done.

Kevin

IMHO I would consider this practice a media failure.

Breakaway
04-18-2013, 02:19 PM
IMHO I would consider this practice a media failure.

I agree on the unconfirmed, erroneous report. But if a suspect's description is provided by authorities, I think it should be reported.

Kevin

ccmanuals
04-18-2013, 02:28 PM
I agree on the unconfirmed, erroneous report. But if a suspect's description is provided by authorities, I think it should be reported.

Kevin

I don't believe authorities would ever just say dark skinned male. They would say something like, "dark skinned male, mid 30's, height 6 foot and weight approx 200 lbs wearing a neru jacket and greek fisherman hat"
:)

George Jung
04-18-2013, 06:28 PM
How about "male" ? From the description they used it could have been anyone from George Hamilton to Dennis Rodman. Again, how does that advance the news value other than to confirm preconceived suspicions?

I guess I'm just not wound as tight as you are - I'd suggest cutting back on the kava! The descriptor employed did not cause me to jump to any conclusions; to any preconceived notions; to any call to arms against any group. Apparently, it did, for you. Suspect there's a lesson in that, somewhere/somehow.

purri
04-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Anders Brevik anyone?

ccmanuals
04-18-2013, 06:49 PM
I guess I'm just not wound as tight as you are - I'd suggest cutting back on the kava! The descriptor employed did not cause me to jump to any conclusions; to any preconceived notions; to any call to arms against any group. Apparently, it did, for you. Suspect there's a lesson in that, somewhere/somehow.

Cutting back on the double starbucks. :)

George Jung
04-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Cutting back on the double starbucks. :)

excellent! Send the 'extras' my way - my butts been draggin'....