PDA

View Full Version : I Hate the IRS

Katherine
04-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Marauding bandits!

Bob Adams
04-15-2013, 06:08 PM
On April 15th, I suspect you are not alone in your feelings Kat.;)

Chris Coose
04-15-2013, 06:09 PM
I delivered 5 large to the accountant this morning and I suspect that won't be enough.
You know what that means?

Waddie
04-15-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm from the government, and I'm here to help..... :)

regards,
Waddie

Donn
04-15-2013, 06:13 PM
I delivered 5 large to the accountant this morning and I suspect that won't be enough.
You know what that means?

Sure. It means you handle your taxes correctly, and don't pay them in advance.

Glen Longino
04-15-2013, 06:18 PM
I used to hate the IRS, but I've grown to love them for collecting money from you wealthy folks and sending it to me each month.;)
In fact, please send IRS a little extra this year so I can raise my standard of living...okay?
Ducking here!;)

hokiefan
04-15-2013, 06:24 PM
I'm with you Katherine, although for me it was last night around 11:30 when I hit send on the last of 5 returns, then sat down to write 5 checks. Today all I had to do was drop the checks off at the Post Office. There were a lot of folks there mumbling about the same thing.

Cheers,

Bobby

Breakaway
04-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Greedy for coin-of-the-realm, you'd think they'd be able to speak and write in the language of the land.

Kevin

Waddie
04-15-2013, 06:30 PM
I used to hate the IRS, but I've grown to love them for collecting money from you wealthy folks and sending it to me each month.;)
In fact, please send IRS a little extra this year so I can raise my standard of living...okay?
Ducking here!;)

Holy crap, Glen, you're right. I get a lot of my monthly income from the government as well. Pay up, you slackers !!!!!!

regards,
Waddie

Wait, I'm also one of the slackers. Darn government wants a big chunk of it back........ I think once you're retired, everything should be tax free. Come to think about it, it is all tax free if you don't make squat.....

Concordia...41
04-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Yep. I don't agree with a lot of how things are run, but since I'm not running for office or doing anything to make a difference, I have no reason to argue. For the most part, things are good in our "civilized society."

I may not agree with the wars in Iraq or Afganistan, but I want the young men and women who put their lives on the line to have good equipment and the best training and medical care possible. I like the efforts of the Coast Guard, National Guard, and Homeland Security. I appreciate what efforts have been made by the EPA, FHA, and dozens of agencies with dozens of other acronmyms. I enjoy driving on the interstate highways, appreciate at least an attempt at regulation of the electric and telephone companies, and dozens of other things. While Medicare and Social Security aren't necessarily funded by income tax, I appreciate the fact that my mother has survived two separate cancer fights and two battles with MRSA, with only minor bills to pay.

I did it the Bobby way and all I had to do today was stroke checks - three large on one and one large on another - a small price to pay for another year of civilized society.

YMMV

-M

Donn
04-15-2013, 06:37 PM
I pay quarterly, and I came the closest to even this time as I have yet...$128 to Uncle Sam.

BrianY
04-15-2013, 06:39 PM
I don't object to paying taxes. I do, however, object to a nearly incomprehensible tax code and the fact that people with a whole lot more money than me pay far fewer taxes as a percentage of their income than I do.

CATALINA GUY
04-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Turbo tax in feb. 11 back in my bank on feb 21. best way to go!!!!!!! M C

hokiefan
04-15-2013, 06:52 PM
I don't object to paying taxes. I do, however, object to a nearly incomprehensible tax code and the fact that people with a whole lot more money than me pay far fewer taxes as a percentage of their income than I do.

This is the part that really gripes me. I used to do it all by hand first, I wanted to understand what was going on. Once I had done that I would enter it. I happen to use TaxAct which is quite easy to work with. The last 2 years I did it that way TaxAct would find at least one mistake I had made. Then the next year I was in a hurry, so I just let TaxAct ask the questions and I answered them in order. I don't feel like I know whats going on as well, but wth? I give up trying to do everything the hard way. Still takes plenty enough time.

Cheers,

Bobby

Garret
04-15-2013, 06:56 PM

Bingo. Though I'd add "guilty until proven innocent" to that list.

Osborne Russell
04-15-2013, 07:03 PM
It's Congress, not the IRS.

Garret
04-15-2013, 07:06 PM
It's Congress, not the IRS.

The tax law is - but not the attitude & the day to day decisions of how things are handled.

Chip-skiff
04-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Funny how some people screech over bad roads, collapsing bridges, not enough police, and delays in permits for stripmines, oil wells, and development rape. And then they screech even louder about paying taxes.

As has oft been said, No Free Lunch, even for libertarians.

Since the US tax code has been rigged by the rich and corporations for their own benefit, those who can hire tax lawyers and offshore bankers do a damn sight better than those of us who have to file our own taxes.

Don't blame that on the IRS.

Paul Pless
04-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Sure. It means you handle your taxes correctly, and don't pay them in advance.Not necessarily, you can be penalized and charged interest for making incorrect quarterly estimated tax payments.

Tom Galyen
04-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Osborne,

You're wrong, its Congress AND the IRS.

alvin greenwood
04-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Ducking here!;).

Why are you driving on my roads and bridges is what i wanna know!

Rich Jones
04-15-2013, 07:50 PM
A lot of change in my financial life last year. Kind of screwed things up and didn't figure it right. Instead of my regular refund, I owed 4 large. At least I had it in the bank.

pumpkin
04-15-2013, 08:10 PM

Why are you driving on my roads and bridges is what i wanna know!

What the heck are you yapping about them being your roads. You're white trash just like I am. $250G is a dream for both of us. Heck, $25G is.BY:D

Glen Longino
04-15-2013, 08:20 PM
I paid 5 large this year. I wasn't happy about it, but I wasn't offended by it, either. I paid that much because I earned a lot, and it's my civic duty.

Couldn't you have easily thrown in a few extra hundred tagged "Glen"?;)

hokiefan
04-15-2013, 08:23 PM
I paid 5 large this year. I wasn't happy about it, but I wasn't offended by it, either. I paid that much because I earned a lot, and it's my civic duty.

Couldn't you have easily thrown in a few extra hundred tagged "Glen"?;)

I wrote them a nice check this year too and I thought about it Glen... But I didn't :d

Gib Etheridge
04-15-2013, 08:37 PM
I once figured my taxes and found that I owed 2K more than I had anticipated. Something seemed very wrong so I called the IRS help line. "No sir you got it just right". I had always done my own taxes in an effort to save accountant fees, but thought that just this once I would hire a tax accountant. In the end the IRS owed me 1.2K, way more than the accountant's fees. I've never done my own taxes since.

Marauding Bandits indeed.

David Tabor (sailordave)
04-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Obama's effective tax rate was 18.4%. Mine was 20.77% Hmmmm.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-15-2013, 09:30 PM
I pay through workplace deductions... and since I have done a lot of improvements on the house, I had a loss on the rental portion this year. I got back 1200 bucks, the biggest refund I have had in about 15 years. I still paid a lot of money in deductions overall.

hokiefan
04-15-2013, 09:44 PM

How did you calculate that? When I figured mine I got 12.3% of AGI

Waddie
04-15-2013, 09:55 PM

Hey, Joe Biden also paid 20%.

regards,
Waddie

varadero
04-16-2013, 03:48 AM
I have payed €24,000 so far, I am hoping for a rebate!

Michael D. Storey
04-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Well, I did an especially simple return with the Boy, to show him a few things, only eleven forms, and it was rejected. Now they know that their response will mean nothing to me. They could as soon say, 'form 8863, page two line six; what were you thinking?' I could fix it in a minit. But yesterday, three hours and five submissions later, the thing still sits rejected. And the only thing that they will say is, 'send it in on paper and we'll look at it.'

hokiefan
04-16-2013, 06:46 AM
Well, I did an especially simple return with the Boy, to show him a few things, only eleven forms, and it was rejected. Now they know that their response will mean nothing to me. They could as soon say, 'form 8863, page two line six; what were you thinking?' I could fix it in a minit. But yesterday, three hours and five submissions later, the thing still sits rejected. And the only thing that they will say is, 'send it in on paper and we'll look at it.'

Call them up for advice. They won't stand behind it... Guaranteed :-)

Figment
04-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Call them up for advice. They won't stand behind it... Guaranteed :-)

I had precisely that experience when I called the health insurance company yesterday. Just before an actual human being picks up the phone there is this long disclaimer about how the company may or may not stand behind whatever the company's representative is about to tell you. :rolleyes:

Mrleft8
04-16-2013, 07:39 AM
I guess if you make enough money to pay a lot of taxes, you ought to be happy. Think about all the people who don't make enough money to pay H&R Block or buy Turbotax.
And then think about the Exxon/Mobils and GEs of the world who get tax breaks while reaping massive record breaking profits..... Corporations are people too.

varadero
04-16-2013, 07:46 AM
I guess if you make enough money to pay a lot of taxes, you ought to be happy. Think about all the people who don't make enough money to pay H&R Block or buy Turbotax.
And then think about the Exxon/Mobils and GEs of the world who get tax breaks while reaping massive record breaking profits..... Corporations are people too.

I am paying 46% on earnings over 50 000 pa

Paul Pless
04-16-2013, 08:01 AM
Bull****

Figment
04-16-2013, 08:01 AM
That's better than having the IRS come-a-knocking two years later because your parents "put some money in your name" and forgot to inform you of such.

varadero
04-16-2013, 08:02 AM
Private stuff, pleeeeeze.

Canoez
04-16-2013, 08:02 AM
We had a nasty surprise this year - we'd miscalculated something and owed money for the first time ever - was only $800, but was a nasty surprise nonetheless.

hokiefan
04-16-2013, 08:14 AM
We had a nasty surprise this year - we'd miscalculated something and owed money for the first time ever - was only $800, but was a nasty surprise nonetheless.

We had a nasty surprises this year, a bit more than that unfortunately. Digging back it was my own fault. Which really makes it suck... The checks I wrote this year really added up. Oh well, its only money.

Willin'
04-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Using Taxact this year for the first time, I had the program run the filing seperately vs filing jointly comparison. Turns out I saved $1 by filing jointly. At least the marriage penalty seems to have gone away.

hokiefan
04-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Using Taxact this year for the first time, I had the program run the filing seperately vs filing jointly comparison. Turns out I saved $1 by filing jointly. At least the marriage penalty seems to have gone away.

Did ya have it work out itemized vs standard deductions? Just gotta ask...

Willin'
04-16-2013, 08:22 AM
I did, even though I knew I had no significant deductions to speak of, just as a test. I've used the other big name programs in the past and sooner or later they all make a mistake that I have to correct. I was skeptical of using a cloud based program, but so far I'm happy with Taxact. Knockin' on wood here.

Paul Pless
04-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Instead of hating the IRS, your angst should be directed at the congressmen and senators who created this incredibly complex, byzantine, convoluted tax code. The folks at the IRS didn't write these laws, they're just trying to enforce them.
Its easy and understandable to despise large faceless bureaucratic entities that you pay large fees to with no tangible or immediate benefit or results- the government, banks, insurance companies. . .

Mrleft8
04-16-2013, 08:31 AM
Its easy and understandable to despise large faceless bureaucratic entities that you pay large fees to with no tangible or immediate benefit or results- the government, banks, insurance companies. . .
Lawyers, Dentists, Doctors.....

S.V. Airlie
04-16-2013, 09:03 AM
I pay quarterly, and I came the closest to even this time as I have yet...$128 to Uncle Sam.I just don't make enough..Sorry Glen and Waddie $0.00 for the feds and $6.00 for CT.

Concordia 33
04-16-2013, 09:22 AM
How did you calculate that? When I figured mine I got 12.3% of AGI

You mean you paid less than Romney? How can this be? You must be one of the .01%.....:d

Concordia 33
04-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Marauding bandits!

Yes they are. Don't expect it to get any better in the foreseeable future either.

jclays
04-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Rat Bastards! I claim married and 0 plus I pay an extra 100.00 per payday to the Feds and State. I still owed 5k to the Feds and 1k to the State. Geeze....

S.V. Airlie
04-16-2013, 10:21 AM
I paid, one year a bit over 1,000.00. i had to as I bought a house in Oct. and had to sell some bonds. I was also having the usual deductions through my pay checks. Anyway, the IRS fined me for spending (or paying) more than $1000.00 on April 15th. In fact, they (it) deducted about all of the money Bush's first tax break supposedly sent to me.

jclays
04-16-2013, 10:50 AM
You mean you paid less than Romney? How can this be? You must be one of the .01%.....:d
Looks like Obama and Romney are now in the same club.

Michael D. Storey
04-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Instead of hating the IRS, your angst should be directed at the congressmen and senators who created this incredibly complex, byzantine, convoluted tax code. The folks at the IRS didn't write these laws, they're just trying to enforce them.

Of course, if spending was in control........

Dave Wright
04-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Lawyers, Dentists, Doctors.....

You are joking, aren't you???