PDA

View Full Version : Adding this to places I would like to visit someday!

Paul Pless
04-09-2013, 10:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-7zHlOi4T4

Figment
04-09-2013, 01:25 PM
How does one make that video without using Danger Zone in the background?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-09-2013, 01:34 PM
The Mach Loop is a set of valleys, situated between Dolgellau in the north, and Machynlleth in the south....

You may need pronunciation lessons - ask Gareth.

There are other good viewing spots.....

obscured by clouds
04-09-2013, 01:46 PM
I once sat on a hill at the seaward end of this area and watched a couple of phantoms chase what looked like a MiG up hill and down dale for what seemed like hours [what a MiG was doing there I have no idea - this would be around 1979 or so]

The valley is called the Tal y Llyn valley and is a straight glaciated fault line rift and is smack bang in the middle of a National Park - so much for quiet enjoyment of the countryside.

At the top end is the main Wales n-s route, so when driving down it one can often come head on to a jet coming the other way.

The Hercules looks like one of our 'local' planes which are often seen around the area - we call it the 'SAS plane' due to it's matt black paint job

I've seen Harriers hiding behind trees as the F16s fly up and down trying to find them!

bogdog
04-09-2013, 01:55 PM
A person could mount a LaWS right there in that gap if those pesky flybys got out of hand.

Paul Pless
04-09-2013, 01:58 PM
A simple hand held instant on/off radar gun would drive them crazy I bet.:d

bogdog
04-09-2013, 02:00 PM
A simple hand held instant on/off radar gun would drive them crazy I bet.:dOne of these would catch 'em by surprise. http://www.yourobserver.com/articlephotos/large/photo-2-22746-20121031175737.jpg

AnalogKid
04-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Immediately reminded me of this...

Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident, while checking for speeding motorists on the A-1 Great North Road .

One of the officers (who are not named) used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300mph. The machine then stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

The radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet over the North Sea , which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style. 'Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had automatically locked on to your 'hostile radar equipment' and sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, the Sidewinder Air-to-ground missiles aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also locked on to the target. Fortunately the Dutch pilot flying the Tornado responded to the missile status alert intelligently and was able to override the automatic protection system before the missile was launched'.

...which is of course an urban myth (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.asp).

I've had a number of encounters on the mountains of North Wales, the English Lake District and the Western Highlands of Scotland where RAF jets have shot through the valley fast and low enough to be below my position on the hill. Usually Harriers and Tornados but it was only Hawk trainers on Ben Nevis that freaked out Bridgit, she's a fan of neither planes or heights. My scariest encounter was in the Peak District, I was just completing a solo (unroped) rock climb,not particularly long or hard but I probably had a 30 foot drop below me. As I pulling over the top a pair of Tornados came really low across the moor and over the edge. The was no warning, just a dark shadow and then the roar hit like a wall of sound.

Andy.