PDA

View Full Version : Refastened Planking

Alerion Sailor
03-29-2013, 05:11 PM
I have a 1917 Buzzards Bay 15 that has been refastened at least once in the last 100 years. So now there are 2 plugged holes and the 2 holes that have screws in them, the planking still looks solid (80%). Should I refasten through the currently unplugged holes or replank.
Robert

Jay Greer
03-29-2013, 05:23 PM
The question of re-planking involves the avoidance of weakening the frames by using too large a fastener or too many fasteners. Is the planking screw fastened?
If so, are the screws bronze?
Why do you think you need to re-fasten? If the planking is tight, I would not attempt to add more fastenings that may not be needed. If holes are enlarged to the point of not being able to take a standard plug to fill the hole, Micro balloons and epoxy mixed as a filler paste will fill the voids. Often a dam made of duct tape needs to be used in order to prevent the material from drooling down the topsides.
Jay

Alerion Sailor
03-29-2013, 10:45 PM
Jay thanks for your reply, my concern is weakening of the plank being there is 4 hole in some locations, is this a concern if the old plug is tight would you replace it or leave, or replace the planks?

All the screws are bronze, the planking looks amazing with the exception of a few pieces.

I should be more specific the whole boat needs to be completely restored ie new keel ,frames , floor, deck.

The plugs look tight but now there are 4 holes in the plank. Would you still reuse the plank and the existing holes.

I guess if it worked back when it was refastened.

Is it a good idea to plug all the holes and just redrill new holes in the original location.
Robert

tmonahan
03-30-2013, 07:18 AM
Robert..I came across the same problem you had on a Herreshoff the I had restored..First if the frames are all solid and good shape, them pulling every other fastener and plugging the whole with a wood plug set in epoxy will give you more than enough plank support and keep the fasteners hardened to the plank and frame.

I pulled every other fastener. Took a roll of blue tape and drilled a whole into it every inch with a bit the same side as the whole. ( makes clean up much easier)..I then whittled wooden pegs the size of the fasteners I replaced. Epoxy them in place, dried them and removed the excess with a sharp chisel. Once dry I redrilled the whole using the same side fasteners and drove in the screw..After 4 years I have had no failures. Every plank is tight to the frame and I feel better because the epoxy that makes a good hold on the wood around the fastener..When complete..do the others..

On the ends ( Transom and stem ) I reem out the old goop and replace it with a continuous strand of cotton caulking embedded in Dolfinite ( bedding compound)..Keeps the seams dry.. and free

I think the key is wooden plugs and epoxy..

Ted

Alerion Sailor
03-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Hello Ted, What type of wood did you use for the plugs.