PDA

View Full Version : I need a magizine

Pete E
03-29-2013, 01:01 PM
I subscribed Jan 9. Help help This is march 29, I fell through the cracks. I live in the Midwest we get mail delivery.....

Ian McColgin
03-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Subscription services are so notoriously lousey that I've used that as an excuse for the 40 years of getting WB at the news stand. In reality I was too impoverished to answer that magical lifetime subscription for $100 offer all those years ago and avoided subscription ever since in a wierd sort of expensive self-spite. At the last day of the Maine Boatbuilders' Show I abruptly decided to get a two year subscription and was assured by Ted, I think it was, that I'd get the next number out. I told him that I knew better but would give him a harassing email if #232 did not show up.

Carl Cramer
03-30-2013, 07:57 AM
Hi, Pete. I have forwarded your message to our subscription department and hopefully they can resolve on Monday.

Ian -- If you don't receive the next issue, I'll give you Ted's email address.

Thanks, both. Carl

Ian McColgin
03-30-2013, 09:39 AM
HehHehHeh.

Actually, modern subscription services are an interesting side issue for periodicals. Sometimes it's a bit like a utility having its call center out-sourced to Outer Bezerkistan.

Carl Cramer
03-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Sometimes it feels that way to us as well, Ian. At least our current service seems far superior to its predecesor.

Tom Lathrop
03-31-2013, 07:46 AM
HehHehHeh.

Actually, modern subscription services are an interesting side issue for periodicals. Sometimes it's a bit like a utility having its call center out-sourced to Outer Bezerkistan.

I think it has been further out-sourced to Donunderstan.

DavidC
03-31-2013, 10:16 AM
I worked in the magazine biz for 20 years, and this is a perennial problem that is caused by the nature of the business.
Woodenboat comes out every other month. The magazine hits your mailboxes when? The last week of the previous month? (Last week of February for the March/April issue?) This means the computer file for the March/April issue had to be at the printer some time in early February - maybe even the last week of January, depending on where they print and the different drop zones from where they mail the magazine. The subscription management is handled by a fulfillment company, and they probably pulled their sub file for the March/April issue right around the first week of January. So, if you subscribed the day after they pulled the file, you didn't get on the March/April list and your first issue won't be until the May/June issue. I may have the exact dates wrong, but you get the idea.

Pete E
04-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. Now I don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

I need patience and I need it right now.....author unknown

Carl Cramer
04-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Well spake, David -- thanks. Carl

Lorna Grant
04-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Pete, send me an email and I'll look up your account. lorna.grant@woodenboat.com

Pete E
04-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Lona, A Email is on it's way with I think all information. Thanks for the quick response.

Pete E
04-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Yepeee..... This morning a package arrived. Long awaited. The issue of an incorrect address, my bad. Not only screwed up once but twice. First time I have ever done this.........I miscalculated a number of times in life but never screwed up. This is my story an I am sticking to it.:D

Thanks go out to Carl Cramer for bringing to the attention of Lorna Grant who graciously solved my dilemma. She was really restrained and didn't call me a idiot once. A real professional.

I promised her a free boat ride if she ever gets to the Midwest. I state this so the whole world knows that I am grateful....