PDA

View Full Version : Good use for a jetski

timo4352
03-29-2013, 10:19 AM
I don't care too much for jetskis myself, but this looks like a good use of one to me:
http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/webletters-7/squirt-jet/squirt-jet1.html
I could have some fun with this :cool:
It's wood - if that helps
Tim

Retromotorsport
03-29-2013, 10:50 AM
And one here too....
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40346&hilit=Jetski#p305950

JimConlin
03-29-2013, 11:52 AM
There was an article in WB 2-3 years ago about another PWC propelled boat. Kind of an anorexic lobster boat. Quite pretty, IIRC.

Judging by how PWC's are operated, I've thought that there must be a steady stream of PWC's that are wrecked when the collide with something. Anybody know how to find them?

Thorne
03-29-2013, 12:15 PM
I think the main issue was covered well in the WB magazine article -- the boat hull needs to be specially designed to handle the jetski motor correctly, not something you can retrofit easily into a stock displacement hull.

SMARTINSEN
03-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Issue 198.

Dan Richard
03-29-2013, 05:59 PM
I just love unique ideas like this where an item, in this case the PWC engine, jet and steering systems, are re-purposed resulting something (much) better than the original product. Kudos!

Cuyahoga Chuck
03-29-2013, 08:41 PM
I'm surprised Bateau is coming up with this now. The idea of a wood hull with jetski drive has been around for at least a decade. It seems practical because there are always plenty of out of date skis to turn into donors. The downside is skis perform well as long as their pumps are in good shape. If over time they inhale a constant supply of grit they will still run but the clearences open up and their output falls as does performance. Last time I looked replacement pumps were not all that cheap.
Bateau's donor ski is a 150HP four cylinder with limited hours on it. To me paying big bucks for a late-model ski just to cut it up seems like something only the idle rich could afford.

moTthediesel
03-29-2013, 10:19 PM
To me paying big bucks for a late-model ski just to cut it up seems like something only the idle rich could afford.

If I was "idle rich" I would buy up all the jet ski's, cut them up, and then throw out the pieces.

kendall
03-30-2013, 12:07 PM
There was an article in WB 2-3 years ago about another PWC propelled boat. Kind of an anorexic lobster boat. Quite pretty, IIRC.

Judging by how PWC's are operated, I've thought that there must be a steady stream of PWC's that are wrecked when the collide with something. Anybody know how to find them?

Most often they're bought up by other owners. Up here you can find them everywhere with blown engines, if you find a wrecked one the engine is long gone. You're pretty much limited to buying one that's ready to go and cutting it up.
I helped a friend retrieve his after he hit a stump, 4 people asked about the drive train while we were loading it, when we stopped for gas we had a line of 6 cars pull in and ask about it. My buddy said that if he didn't know there were hundreds of perfectly good hulls around dirt cheap he would have sold it.

Dan Richard
03-30-2013, 03:19 PM
First, let me say up front, I dislike jet skis as much as the next guy.

What intrigues me about installing a PWC engine and pump in a boat is that you can build an inboard runabout far smaller than normal. In the case of the Glen-L boat that Tim posted in #1, we're talking an 11' boat. Typically you would hang an outboard on the transom of a boat this small. I can't think of any other engine system you could put in an 11' inboard boat.

In spite of the power plant's original purpose, I think the result is genius.

James McMullen
03-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Oh goody. The delightful sound of a jetski amplified by a thin plywood shell for a sounding board. Now you won't have to be right next to it to get to hear it, everyone for miles and miles can share in the pleasure.

Slacko
03-31-2013, 01:17 AM
I'm with Mo, buy a big shredder and mount it on the front of a boat fast enough to chase them down on the water.

Mike Vogdes
03-31-2013, 10:33 AM
I knew this thread would degrade into a "I hate jet skies more than you" contest. Truth be told they are fun and no more harmfull to the environment than any other motorized boat as long as they are operated in a safe respectfull way. I'm betting the haters have never been on one to begin with.. Most of the problems associated with jet skies are the inexperienced operators that ruin it for the rest. Law enforcement, or lack there of, simply can not keep up with the offenders.

wizbang 13
03-31-2013, 11:13 AM
... and , they have saved a few lives.
I would never do it. As Cayuga Chuck mentioned, the one that does 53mph , ( with the 11 year old only!!), has a 150 hp ! A 50 hp outboard could be as fast on that boat.
But, for folks that like to do this kind of hobby, terrific.
They don't bother me much, I see folks who work and pay taxes having some fun.

amreame
03-31-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm currently building the outboard version of the Glen-L Squirt (http://anthonyboatbuild.blogspot.com/). It's a great design and there's a lot of options for the decking, paint/no paint, and veneer ideas. If you have any boat building experience, which from your blog I can see you do, the build process can go pretty fast. The speed on those are 45+ mph too. One of the builders said he pushed it to 48 mph on his GPS before he decided that's as fast as he wanted to go ha.