PDA

View Full Version : New deck for a very old boat.

Lbliss
03-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Working on the deck of a 1903 Clinton Crane sloop. The sub deck is cedar planked. Originally it was canvas over the cedar. In the 1950s a ply board deck was laid on top of the cedar. That held very well. We are taking off the plyboard. What should we put down in place of the plyboard?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
03-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Personally, I would restore the boat using similiar materials and methods to the original.

wizbang 13
03-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Is the boat in good shape? has the ply gone bad? (50 years!) Do you want to restore her to original?
The ply overlay has been there more than half the boats life , and it may have extended it. Ply decking can hold a boats shape very well.
anyhow, what sounds like a simple question is maybe not so simple.
pics pics pics

Tangusso
03-27-2013, 09:19 PM
I would love to see some pictures of this boat.

Roger Cumming
03-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Personally, I would restore the boat using similiar materials and methods to the original.

Me too.

mitchellgage
04-14-2013, 11:28 PM
You should go with something other instead of ply as in market many good materials are available, so if possible try to give it a new look instead of going with the same every time.
Florida title insurance calculator (http://www.coomberlaw.com/calculator-for-florida-title-insurance/)

ARW123
04-15-2013, 01:35 AM
I was faced with the same conundrum with a boat of the same age.

The original deck was referred to as "Russian Redwood" and covered with linoleum. I had to replace the original decking and did so with Douglas Fir (with extremely close growth rings >30 per inch) which after months of tossing ideas in my head, decided on covering with 4mm ply and glass reinforced epoxy.

The finished article, whilst not traditional will give me greater peace of mind and easier repair options - and I'm a ridculous traditionalist...